Help please - Flight time from FLL

jen&samcantwait

I think you should be pretty safe.

Remember they have to get the ship prepped for the next set of guests, so they want us off as quick as possible.

That's not to say that you can't have weather or other delays with the ship clearing immigration. Usually, we "wake" up in port, but there have been some sailings we're at 7:30 we are still waiting for the ship to be cleared.

Delays happen. But barring anything serious, you should be pretty safe with an 11:45 am flight. I still recommend carrying off your own luggage (to avoid any delays) and getting to the airport as quickly as possible. I like to control as much of the process as a I can. I'd rather sit and wait in a departure lounge than fret about missing my flight.

I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't even bother with self disembarkation if I were you. Just make sure you take a taxi and don't wait around for a shuttle. Door to door is only a few miles, and the road from the port (Eller Drive) now connects to the airport's Terminal Drive.

The only caveat would be if you are coming in on a Saturday or Sunday. It's a lot busier then - but I still think you'd be fine.

If it is offered with your airline, use the luggage valet service. In this case, you won't have any luggage with you and you can walk off easily whenever you want. Getting to FLL for anything 11:30 onward is not usually a problem.

We are on the oct. 29th cruise on the Infinity. We have booked a 10AM flight from FLL. I am not worried. We always do walk off and get off really early. On another cruise we did this and could have made an 8:30 AM flight. Just be ready to get off asap.

We have been doing this trip yearly and book an earlier flight every time.

Next year we will be on a 11:30 flight which I think is perfect and allows for some minor delays.

If you self disembark and take a cab you would probably be at the airport by

8:30 and you will be wishing you had booked an earlier flight! I would recommend a shared ride service as it is much less money (for 2) and they are very reliable (SAS)

It might add 15 to 20 minutes to your trip.

The only 'problem' is on Saturday morning if you are on a popular carrier such as WN there will be a huge line of people checking luggage. If you are a preferred traveler with this or other carriers it is a huge advantage.

The next problem is the terminal itself (my experience is only with WN) which will be overcrowded and limited seating and food services. When we get their early (as we always have) we usually take the shuttle to a different terminal where there is more updated eating and less crowds.

Bottom line is you really should have no concerns with your flight time.

We have 10:00 am flights booked from FLL for December. I'm not worried. If you carry off your own luggage you will be one of the first people off the ship and to the airport, so there shouldn't be long lines for cabs or at airport security. We've gotten to our gate by 8:15 in the past.

You'll be fine. For an 11:30 flight you don't really have to rush off the ship, but if you're nervous then definitely take the early disembarkation option.

We have 10:00 am flights booked from FLL for December. I'm not worried. If you carry off your own luggage you will be one of the first people off the ship and to the airport, so there shouldn't be long lines for cabs or at airport security. We've gotten to our gate by 8:15 in the past.

You'll be fine. For an 11:30 flight you don't really have to rush off the ship, but if you're nervous then definitely take the early disembarkation option.

I agree about not a problem making the flight...I would still be in the walk off group though.

We did 930 (it might have been 9?) flight a couple of years ago and it was no problem.

I have come to the realization that if you are able to handle your own luggage, you should ALWAYS do self-disembarkation...My rationale is that you beat the rush for customs and if you stay on ship, you really are only getting 1 or 2 more hours, without any service open for much of that time.

Most of the nightmares at customs I have heard about happen later in the process...if you self disembark you are highly likely to miss any customs bottlenecks.

Edited by dodger1964

We've done this flight. We had the earliest time available, but still let Celebrity take our luggage the night before. No problem, even with a Customs line. If you are very concerned, you can book private transportation from the pier for a very nominal price. The taxi line can be long, depending on the day.

No need to worry or be scared off. I will show how easy this is with adding a ton of time to each step. Remember, the airport is a 10 min. ride from the port.

So..let's say you leave the ship in the 8:00 group, pick up your bags, wait to clear customs...you are at the cab curb outside at 8:45-9:00. Now wait 40 min. for cab. Now arrive airport at 9:40. Now check in and walk to gate and you are at the gate one hour later at 10:40. You are STILL and hour before take off.

We do FLL often and in ten years we have never had a delay that would be longer than all the added time in my summary above. And all the added time above is truly not normal delays. We always leave the ship at 8:00 like above and have never arrived at the airport later than 8:50. We always book a 10:50 flight home.

NOW....If you walk off with your bags (decision you can make if you are skiddish) at 7:15-7:30, you will be at the airport by 8. :eek: Personally I'd rather have a slower breakfast and not be caught with the panicky cruisers who booked the 10:00 flight.

No need to prebook transportation and don't be lured to the vans looking for riders. You will sit there until all seats are full. TAKE A CAB.

Go to the Florida departures board for more info re the port.

Edited by eandj

we are just off the Infinity docking in Ft Lauderdale. We purchased the shuttle (through the hotel) from port to FLL airport - our flight was leaving at 11:53. We requested to take our own luggage off the ship, we went to deck 4 at the Martini Bar location and waited. At 7:15 they got the okay to let us off and we were the fourth or fifth couple in line for customs. Took us 30 seconds to get passed by customs and we went outside and the van took us immediately to the airport. We left the dock at 7:30 and were at the airport by 7:45 a.m. Had time for breakfast, used the free wi-fi to check emails and headed home. Very smooth and easy.