Best river cruise line for non smokers

Ergates The Ant

We are both non smokers and interested in a river cruise in Europe. It appears that most boats are non smoking inside, but some allow smoking anywhere on the open top deck.

Are there any lines which restrict smoking to only a portion of the open deck, so that it is possible to enjoy scenic views from outdoor areas on the boat while avoiding smoking and associated smells?

I would be grateful for any first hand information on this.

Many thanks

Had a total of 4 smokers on our Avalon 9/11 sailing. The smoking area is the tiny railing on the back of the boat (a 3 ft wide area across back with chairs & small table between about 6 chairs)

I am very very affected by smoking and NEVER was bothered on our 14 day sailing. Your fellow passengers are very considerate. The real issue is in Europe the smokers are everywhere..... You won't have any issues on your boat!

Ps this was out of 156 passengers :)

Edited by JVilleGal

Had a total of 4 smokers on our Avalon 9/11 sailing. The smoking area is the tiny railing on the back of the boat (a 3 ft wide area across back with chairs & small table between about 6 chairs)

I am very very affected by smoking and NEVER was bothered on our 14 day sailing. Your fellow passengers are very considerate. The real issue is in Europe the smokers are everywhere..... You won't have any issues on your boat!

I have done two Vantage river boats and one Grand Circle in 2015 (all in France). I don't think I saw a single passenger smoking either on or off the boats (maybe I just missed it). Some of the crew smoked, but they have their own area at the back of the boat. The boats are small enough that you pretty much get to know everyone, and lack of anonymity generally improves people's manners and consideration. :cool:

Thom

I don't think there were any among passengers on my last Vantage cruise...although there were a few crew members...the smoking area on all Vantage ships is on the sun deck at the stern....about as far away as you can get and still be on the ship! I'm an ex-smoker and like J'ville am now very much aware when anyone is smoking within a mile...and I never smelled any smoke. I think the only time on board smoking could be an issue would possibly be European owned ships....although smoking is becoming less and less prevalent in Europe as well. Only place we found it noticeable was in Egypt, Russia and the Eastern European countries.

We sailed in December and most times when my husband and I were up on deck, NO ONE else was, not even smokers (I believe that on Avalon the smoking area is also at the rear on the top deck and also a tiny area outside the coffee/pastry area of the lounge - on Vista at least)

However, another CC member who was actually on the same cruise as me noticed smoke smells in her room frequently (we did once or twice) Must have been wind or ventilation moving it through the boat. From our perspective, smoke wasn't an issue on the cruise.

Here's perkyblue's review that mentions the smoke http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=269175

Huh funny, my funny smell was Bacon on two mornings! Got me up and to breakfast both times :)

Others smells you WILL get in no particular order: diesel fuel when maneuvering to dock, other boats fuel when rafting to you, at some/many ports they off load sewer and waste water so a fast wif of sewer smell while connecting or unconnecting. Strange river odors at various places.

These are small boats and sailing on rivers with 200 people on board, sometimes a funny smell or three just happens.

We had someone who complained all the time about smells, food, the heat, the cold, the room attendant, the weather. There was never anything going to make this poor woman happy (sorry for her hubby).

Yes every once in a while you would get a wiff of something and then it would be gone. Just never did I smell cigarette smoke on any crew or passenger. But the Bacon was memorable ;)

Huh funny, my funny smell was Bacon on two mornings! Got me up and to breakfast both times :)

Others smells you WILL get in no particular order: diesel fuel when maneuvering to dock, other boats fuel when rafting to you, at some/many ports they off load sewer and waste water so a fast wif of sewer smell while connecting or unconnecting. Strange river odors at various places.

These are small boats and sailing on rivers with 200 people on board, sometimes a funny smell or three just happens.

We had someone who complained all the time about smells, food, the heat, the cold, the room attendant, the weather. There was never anything going to make this poor woman happy (sorry for her hubby).

Yes every once in a while you would get a wiff of something and then it would be gone. Just never did I smell cigarette smoke on any crew or passenger. But the Bacon was memorable ;)

I must confess that in 8 cruises with Vantage I have never smelled anything that I would rather not have smelled!! But I admit, I do not have a strong sense of smell...except that I can smell cigarette smoke from someone smoking in their car three lanes away from me!!

I am allergic to cigarette smoke and never thought I might have a problem on a river cruise. We did a Caribbean cruise in the 90's on, I, think Carnival Legend that was smoke free. So glad to hear that it won't be an issue. Just to be sure, any one who has done GCT, how do they handle smoking on board?

I am allergic to cigarette smoke and never thought I might have a problem on a river cruise. We did a Caribbean cruise in the 90's on, I, think Carnival Legend that was smoke free. So glad to hear that it won't be an issue. Just to be sure, any one who has done GCT, how do they handle smoking on board?

Again like all the other boats........there is a small area near the back on the sundeck. If it rains the smoking areas may change. I think they allowed smoking on the side by the double doors near the reception's desk when it was raining.

On our recent AMACerto trip the smoking area was in the far back on the sundeck unless it was raining. Then the area was moved to the outside front deck by the lounge. I only saw two people smoking on this trip.

AMA restricts it to a small portion at the rear of the sun deck. Smoking was never a problem on either of our AMA cruises (and I am very aware of any smoke in my vicinity).

Ditto that on my 5 AMA cruises. The smokers only have small area available to them. I do not recall it being an issue on any river cruise I have taken. It is far more of an issue in the ports.

We've travelled on Viking and they restrict smoking to a small area on the back of the ship on the top deck.

That being said, we did have a smoker in a adjacent cabin who smoked on their balcony. It really irked me because 1) it's against the rules 2) it was an April cruise on the Eastern Danube and warm enough to leave the window open and our cabin smelled of smoke. The balconies on Viking ships have privacy barriers between them so I made a wildly passive-aggressive-Minnesota-Nice comment loud enough for them to hear and it ended the balcony smoking situation. :D My husband was mortified, but it got results.

I must admit I am an addict, Scenic has a dedicated area and it was possible to use the front deck but I defiantly didn't when there were others around. It was remarked on one cruise that I was the only smoker on board but I and others knew there were some smoking on their balconies in fact I was asked by the CD if it was me, absolutely not I try my hardest not to inflict my habit on anyone else and its banned everywhere but the approved area. CA

We've travelled on Viking and they restrict smoking to a small area on the back of the ship on the top deck.

That being said, we did have a smoker in a adjacent cabin who smoked on their balcony. It really irked me because 1) it's against the rules 2) it was an April cruise on the Eastern Danube and warm enough to leave the window open and our cabin smelled of smoke. The balconies on Viking ships have privacy barriers between them so I made a wildly passive-aggressive-Minnesota-Nice comment loud enough for them to hear and it ended the balcony smoking situation. :D My husband was mortified, but it got results.

You did exactly what I would have done..

• 2 weeks later...