News just in from JH

sandij

My thanks to the beards for listening to what you said here a couple of weeks ago about bringing cans of soda on in port.

As of today :

" small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on oard as well as Carnival branded bottled water previously purchased onboard. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

cheers

Wish they'd treat all beverages as alcoholic and keep them til the end. There are a few non-alcoholic drinks that we cannot get in the US Mexican markets yet. These are only sold in bottles.

We have always brought back some more cans of Coke with no repercussions. I think the problem was inconsistancies on different ships. Not everyone enforces the rules the same.

There was a rule change in July of this year. While you very well may have been allowed to bring soft drinks back from your ports of call between July 9th and today, it would have been against the rules. And you are 100% correct that there are inconsistencies between ships (and ports too)

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is proof that complaining about changes within CCL that one doesn't like is more beneficial than putting on your best smile, remaining a cheerleader, and defending Carnival in every single rule change, cutback, or change they make. You can't win them all, obviously, but winning just a few makes it worth the effort of dissenting on occasion. I applaud Carnival for listening to their customers in this instance. Bravo. Also, congrats to those who spoke up about this not-so-insignificant change and got something done about it. Bravo to you too.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is proof that complaining about changes within CCL that one doesn't like is more beneficial than putting on your best smile, remaining a cheerleader, and defending Carnival in every single rule change, cutback, or change they make. You can't win them all, obviously, but winning just a few makes it worth the effort of dissenting on occasion. I applaud Carnival for listening to their customers in this instance. Bravo. Also, congrats to those who spoke up about this not-so-insignificant change and got something done about it. Bravo to you too.

There's a difference between complaining directly to a corporation and complaining on a cruise message board.

Do you really think that Carnival--or any other multi-million dollar corporation makes changes like that due to the whims of a few posters on a message board?

And don't give me the same old "there are thousands of Cruise Critic members"----it is usually the same few that complain about every change that Carnival makes---not "thousands."

There's a difference between complaining directly to a corporation and complaining on a cruise message board.

Do you really think that Carnival--or any other multi-million dollar corporation makes changes like that due to the whims of a few posters on a message board?

And don't give me the same old "there are thousands of Cruise Critic members"----it is usually the same few that complain about every change that Carnival makes---not "thousands."

I never mentioned CC. End of story. You are reading too much into what I actually said. :) That said, JH sends most of his "feelers" out via his blog and "page" on a website we all know, but which I will refrain from mentioning. Don't think for a second that those feelers aren't monitored, both at the two places I just mentioned, and yes, even here at CC.

They do listen.

Many years ago there was a HUGE brouhaha over a redesign of the S&S card. Something to do with loyalty level color placement.

You have stated that really well. Kudos to those who let Carnival know what they wanted. And likewise Kudos to Carnival for listening and making a common sense change in such short order.

Now this satisfies people who want to re-stock on their favorites abroad OR take advantage of trying something new/local/can't get it at home.

Linking to or referencing Facebook is well within the guidelines. To mention exactly where information can be found that's the proper way. Never understand why so many people allude to Facebook but don't say it. :confused:

Maybe there is a difference, maybe not. All cruise lines have social media relations employees that monitor Cruise Critic. A collective voice certainly will raise a flag in the organization. There have been many controversial topics on many lines that generate heated discussion and then changes do happen. It would be naive to think it is all coincidental.

Ultimately, stating what you are displeased with, why you are displeased with it, and offering a solution for what you believe is an improvement is far superior to remaining silent.

Cruise Critic is indeed a minority of cruisers. And the vocal and active portion of that is even smaller proportionately. But it is in no way trivial. Many active members are the types of people that friends, family, neighbors, colleagues and associates may think of as a maven in regards to cruising; someone who is not only an enthusiast, but has their finger on the pulse of the industry and will or will not recommend certain brands, itineraries, ships etc. from both personal experience but also opinion on changes. Members here are not the only change agent, but they are among them.

The worst thing to be is a brand apologist because no brand is your friend or family. We make transactions with companies, we don't have relations with them. Maybe that's why John Heald gets beat on so much. He tries to be very relational in a business where relation is part of the facade, and we all know it is transactional. So his impossible task also comes off as a bit of an act, to some. I don't envy the man and don't know how he does it and remain so engaging and friendly. Everything he states gets put in BIWISI status first - Believe it when I see it. Use that at your next meeting. It's fun to say.

Again, I give credit to Carnival for listening to their customers and making a common sense decision in a short period of time.

Yes I do. As a matter of fact Carnival has a person that monitors theses boards Mischelle is her name and she has responded on these boards. She also monitors Funville. So the answer is YES.

I totally agree!!! So tired of all the people laying down and stating, oh well I don't care, doesn't effect me.

The worst thing to be is a brand apologist because no brand is your friend or family. We make transactions with companies, we don't have relations with them.

Exactly! Well said. I'll never understand why some can't, or won't see this. It's like they are afraid to speak up, that they will be excommunicated by their favorite brand, or something. And I find it hard to believe that anyone is forever happy with every last change a company makes to it's product. I mean, are there really people out there that are pleased their favorite candy bar is now half the size it used to be, twice as expensive, and has inferior ingredients to the original? Carnival is a FOR profit business. I love them, but I understand that if they could get away with just easing around their home port's waters for a week, offering zero entertainment, and serving cold sandwiches every meal they would do it in a heart beat. That doesn't make them evil. It makes them a business.

Exactly! Well said. I'll never understand why some can't, or won't see this. It's like they are afraid to speak up, that they will be excommunicated by their favorite brand, or something. And I find it hard to believe that anyone is forever happy with every last change a company makes to it's product. I mean, are there really people out there that are pleased their favorite candy bar is now half the size it used to be, twice as expensive, and has inferior ingredients to the original? Carnival is a FOR profit business. I love them, but I understand that if they could get away with just easing around their home port's waters for a week, offering zero entertainment, and serving cold sandwiches every meal they would do it in a heart beat. That doesn't make them evil. It makes them a business.

I agree with your premise completely, but I find this analogy (candy bar) weird, as I see a lot of complaints about "cut backs" but the only thing I can see that would even be objectionable is the Loyalty Program changes.

All the other things people complain about as "cutbacks" (service form checklist for the cabin service you want, room service menu with some for-charge food but still some free stuff, American Table menus, chocolates missing, Playlist 2.0) are either something that seems good/interesting to me (AT menus, new room service menus, checklist), something that I like as well as the previous thing (2.0 Playlist, and it seems like they've added smaller live music elsewhere instead of the big band on those ships, which I prefer), or something I never used/cared about (chocolates were always thrown away, we don't take shorter cruises but even so I like the sound of the scallops and ravioli that replaced the lobster on that menu and would choose that over lobster if it was offered on MY longer cruises!). I also like - relevant to this thread a little - not just the ability to bring on more sodas at port, which I will probably do (like 1-2 local sodas, not a giant pack for any reason; too fussy to lug), but also the ability to buy cheap water, which means we don't have to lug bottles on. Hallelujah! That was great for us. If they want to tell us we can no longer buy wine but can buy our first 2 bottles at like $15 each, we'd gladly do that as well! We hate carrying stuff on but only do it because it just made financial sense.

Plus, they've added more stuff that interests me over the years - the Seaside movies seem to get fairly good lineups, comedy is still rolling along, new dining and bar venues are great, etc. That's the thing. I wish the AT menus had rolled out fleet-wide by now like they originally said because I'm actually really disappointed we won't get to try that on our next cruise. I am sure Carnival looks at cost vs. value (value to them, I mean, which = attracting customers, making money) and selects changes based on that. The truth is that what people want likely varies, and they will definitely listen to feedback, as is shown by the way the American Table roll-out has been handled, since they have tweaked and so forth.

I don't really think this is all the same as your favorite candy bar being 1/2 the size and 2x the expense. Nothing Carnival has done is like that and I've seen more improvements than issues.

Edit: To be clear, I totally agree with your premise. And I do have issues, but just find the "cutback" talk a little silly most of the time. My biggest complaint about Carnival is not a cutback or anything new; it's also not exclusive to Carnival. I have found the biggest issue is they don't always enforce their rules (chair hogs, smoking, etc - I could care less about dress code, but that's symptomatic as well) but this is true all over the place and is mostly a societal issues, and Carnival can't solve societal ills. I still prefer them for their relaxed dress code (not lax enforcement but the Elegant standards being low even in the rules), good entertainment (to us), nice port schedules, great prices, big-ish rooms, etc. And none of the newer changes impact me adversely.

Edited by berrieh