Scary Cruise on the Eurodam

JanetDeV

Well, JanetDeV, I think you had some good points. I was also on that sailing of the Eurodam, and broke a bone in my foot, when I was thrown into the wall while I tried to make my way to the bathroom about 5 a.m. that morning during the storm. I've been in an orthopedic boot since getting home, and am hoping the break is going to heal without surgery. I've been on a many other cruises, and in one other bad storm, and know these things happen, but yes, I too wish the captain could have avoided sailing through that. Since the next day was a day at sea you do wonder if there were other alternatives, like making up time the next day, or skipping a port.

Yikes.

Yes, I know that is scary.

Coming out if NYC a few years back in the Noordam, we hit an unexpected rogue wave in the middle of the night. Both my DH and I were knocked out of bed and onto the floor. We are frequent travelers and very few things scare me like that. But that was one of them.

We sailed on the Eurodam from NY Manhattan on 9/24/15 to Quebec. Unfortunately, we were awakened at 4:00 a.m. on the morning of October 1 by things falling off counters and a continual loud thudding. Realizing we were in a storm, we turned on the ship's channel and discovered the wind speed was 93 mph - Yes, 93 miles per hour. At one point the ship listed to the side and my husband was walking uphill in our cabin to get back into bed. When daybreak finally arrived, the Captain announced we had hit "unexpected hurricane force winds", including a gust of 110 mph, which caused the ship to list 7 degrees". ..................

I was on this cruise as well and thought the captain did an excellent job keeping us safe, which is his primary job. As he told us, prior to the storm and in preparation for the storm, the water carried by the ship was moved from one side to the other for balance. Also, his maneuvering the stern into the wind reduced the possible listing from around 15 degrees to 7 degrees. I felt and still do feel that we were in very good hands. In fact we bought our future cruise deposits the morning after the storm.

Interesting different view of the same event. OP implies that there was no warning at all, whereas swin26 says that the captain gave a warning that a storm was imminent.

The captain told us at Wednesday's sail away that we could have heavy seas late that night after most passengers were asleep, but if you were about, to use caution. He told us on Thursday afternoon that the storm had intensified late Wednesday night and the winds had changed course. On Thursday he also told us that sometime on Wednesday night, the crew shifted the water. We didn't learn when that occurred but it was part of the crews preparation for handling the intensified storm

Read my trip review posted here on CC from our nightmare of a trip around Cape Horn. We have the Captain's log that certifies that we had a 30 meter/90 foot wave break over the Crow's Nest, and sustained winds of 100 mph. We were confined to our cabins for over 12 hours, and we spent every minute of that time thinking from minute to minute that we were going to die. There are also videos posted on YouTube.

Like getting back of a horse after being thrown, we used the very nice credit from HAL to book a Panama Canal cruise, and have been cruising ever since. AND we found out nothing makes us seasick!!

Read my trip review posted here on CC from our nightmare of a trip around Cape Horn. We have the Captain's log that certifies that we had a 30 meter/90 foot wave break over the Crow's Nest, and sustained winds of 100 mph. We were confined to our cabins for over 12 hours, and we spent every minute of that time thinking from minute to minute that we were going to die. There are also videos posted on YouTube.

Like getting back of a horse after being thrown, we used the very nice credit from HAL to book a Panama Canal cruise, and have been cruising ever since. AND we found out nothing makes us seasick!!

Maybe you were just too scared to become seasick!

Just remembered there was a discussion last April on the Celebrity board about cruise lines sailing in storms..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2192433&highlight=cruising+in+storms

This is Post No. 9 By CherylRoslyn & post No. 10 by HLitner

Quote Once in a while it can be rough, but for the most part its managable. The roughest seas I have ever experienced were in the Carribbean Sea while we were trying to avoid a hurricane. The second worst were in Alaska, because of a gale winds, the ship was practically on its side, and although we were not bouncing the dishes and glasses were shatering in the dining room and they were falling from the fifth floor to the fourth floor. It can happen anywhere and at any time. You will be fine, don't obsess over it, and if something happens and it gets rough, watch the crew going about there business as if nothing is wrong. When you see that you reaize they have been through much worse and if they are not panicking and running you should not be panicking and running.

On the day that the dishes were flying around shattering the staff was calmly walking around clearing the tables and bringing out the food as if was business as usual. We asked out waiter how he stayed so calm and he started laughing. He told us this crew (Infinity) spent some of the winter sailing around south America and specifically around Cape Horn in the Drake Passage. They said after that, nothing made them nervous.Unquote

Post 10

Quote When one asks for a weather forecast (months in advance) you are only going to get anecdotal comments. So here is ours. We have spent nearly 4 years cruising on somewhere near 100 cruises (lost count years ago). The roughest seas we have ever experienced was on a NYC to Bermuda cruise on August 19, 1991! We were on the Celebrity Meridian and ran smack into Hurricane Bob (the hurricane made an unexpected turn and crossed our path) in the early morning hours only 12 hours out of NYC. The seas ran 40-55 feet all day until we finally escaped the storm around dinner time. It was so rough, and the winds so violent, that they actually used ropes to tie the outside doors closed! The only other ship caught in that storm was RCI's Nordic Prince which suffered major hull/bow damage from the powerful waves. Our ship fared much better (it had a deeper hull and was designed for heavy seas) and our only casualty was a cook who sustained serious burns from boiling water in the galley. Unquote

These posts prove that most Cruise Line Captains will sail in a storm if they believe that they can keep both Psgrs. & Crew safe & not have damage to their ship.. I would bet that on all the other Boards there are stories about high winds & waves while cruising.. We've heard about many of them, but Captains know exactly what their ships can handle & they are not "cowboys" when it comes to sailing into storms.. I would trust any Cruise Ship Captain before I would trust some of the nutty people who go out in their boats & don't take precautions during bad weather..

As another poster asked on this thread, would the OP decide not to fly with an airline if they experienced turbulence which also can be very frightening? I 've had occasions where I was more than scared put of my wits a couple of times due to very high winds/turbulence.. Of course an Airline Captain would try to avoid a storm, but it's not always possible..

Thank you to everyone for your comments. No, this wasn't our first cruise, nor was it our first time in rough seas. It was, however, our first experience with 90-110 mph gusts of wind. Mathematics tells me that 110 mph is a little bit worse than 75 mph, and I wasn't lying when I said some very experienced passengers who had been on 30-40 cruises were frightened. Since your posts indicate this is a more common occurrence than we knew, we won't be sailing again. Hours of terror are simply not included on our list of vacation wishes. We'll relax on dry land from now on and leave cruising to all of you hardy souls.

Sounds like the captain skirted around the worst of the storm. A 7 degree list is nothing (not after what we experienced)

Let me tell you about scary:) Zuiderdam September 2011, Gulf of Alaska, heading south towards Vancouver. Supposed to be doing the Inside Passage.

We were hit by what was supposed to be the remnants of a cyclone that had formed off the Northern coasts of Japan. It had traveled up the Bering sea and then headed down the South East Coasts of Alaska and Canada.

We had sustained winds of at least 82 knots per hour (not sure the equivalent in miles). We took 2 (two) rogue waves that had us listing for a split second each of 20 degrees. That is not an exaggeration. Hubby posted photos of the TV screen showing the wind speeds and there are other Cruise Critic Members on this board who were there with us on the ship and experienced it.

I do not remember how long the storm lasted, but it was more than 3-4 hours. The storm was so bad that Westerdam was about 1 mile off our bow and she took Green Water over the bridge!! We never did make it to the Inside Passage as scheduled because we could not pick up a Pilot and had to cruise the Seattle route instead.

I cannot remember which ship it was, possibly Statendam... had to stay outside of Seward for 2 days due to this storm.

I do not take your being upset as small chump change compared to what we went through. Believe me, I saw lots of scared faces afterwards, including my hubby wanting to call 911 :D Kid you not!! But I look at it this way; The Costa Concordia went over at a 20 degree list. The Zuiderdam took 2 (two) 20 degree lists and came right back up. If Zuiderdam can handle that, then so can I , knowing I am safe in the hands of a well trained Captain and Crew:)

I forgot to add that many of the CC members on the cruise with us have well over 40-50 cruises under their belts:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

It is too bad that the OP experienced such a rough cruise, but having cruised previously I am sure they realize it was an unusual occurrence. I'm sure they have also experienced many of the great things that make so many of us cruise addicts. Hopefully, after a bit of time they will cruise again, though not in New England during hurricane season.

If they like many aspects of cruising but not the rough open water, I'd suggest they try river cruising which is enjoyable in many of the same ways but totally lacking in the waves you find on the high seas.

Joannie...

1.15 MPH =1 knot

Therefore, 82 Sustained Knots would be 94.3 sustained MPH..

I agree sustained winds of that velocity would be no fun, but Captain's sometimes have to take their ships into conditions like this...They are very careful & know what their ships can handle & normally try to warn Passengers when they can.. Apparently the Psgrs were warned about this storm, as other posters indicated.. It is an unusual occurrence, not only on HAL but other lines as well..

Cruising is not for the "Feint of Heart", but it's a wonderful vacation for those who can overcome their fear & see the "Glass half Full" ..;)

Edited by serendipity1499

I feel bad for the OP.

When we first started cruising, I was really uncomfortable, not seasick, just nervous, when there was a lot of movement or noise.

I remember I was awake most of the night out of FtL to HMC because there was some slight banging (waves hitting the side of the ship, likely).

Then, one cruise, I found I felt safe. All the time, no matter what the movement (25 feet swells, Force 11 winds). It just happened: I acquired confidence in the ship and I've never looked back.

I am very happy to have come to that point very early on and wish everyone could!

On one of our 1st HAL cruises, from NY to th Caribbean and back, we experienced 20 foot seas. Somewhat scary, but we did our best to be out and about. The Lido and MDR...and all other venues. ..we're ghost towns!

My DH is from a nautical family. ..the rougher the better.

Well, JanetDeV, I think you had some good points. I was also on that sailing of the Eurodam, and broke a bone in my foot, when I was thrown into the wall while I tried to make my way to the bathroom about 5 a.m. that morning during the storm. I've been in an orthopedic boot since getting home, and am hoping the break is going to heal without surgery. I've been on a many other cruises, and in one other bad storm, and know these things happen, but yes, I too wish the captain could have avoided sailing through that. Since the next day was a day at sea you do wonder if there were other alternatives, like making up time the next day, or skipping a port.

Thank-you for your post. I am sorry that you broke your foot. This is a great example of the danger that can and does happen when Captains make the decision to continue to sail into a storm. A ship sinking isn't the only danger - passengers are at significant risk of personal injury in heavy swells and listing. For those of you who state that you are never in danger in a storm, I have to disagree.

@meme8, you pose a wonderful question - were there other alternatives?

Captains have to make weather related decisions quite often and most of the time they are either right or accused of being overly cautious. Sometimes the weather does unexpected things (we see this on land) and things just go from bad to worse. It happened to us a few years ago on a Celebrity cruise (NYC to Bermuda) where we cruised right into a real hurricane (Hurricane Bob) with seas nearly 50 feet! The Captain was convinced we would miss the storm by at least 200 miles, but the forecasts were not correct (what else is new). So this kind of stuff does happen.

Hank

To the OP, thank-you for sharing your experience with us. I haven't read anything about the Maasdam's experience, but have read about a NA experience also experiencing rough seas and heavy listing on a recent cruise. It does leave me wondering why 3 ships chose to sail into the storms?

I was on the September 13th NA med cruise that you read about.

Was sitting in the dining room with my DH finishing up our meal talking about the wonderful day we had in Taormina when a storm hit us.

We have cruised numerous times and I have to admit time did stand still during this and according to my husband I kept repeating out loud everyone stay calm its going to be ok..guess I was reassuring myself that at some point it was going to stop.

The ship listed about 14 degrees. Felt like it lasted a life time but Captain Bas van Dreumel, who was having dinner in the tamarind, quickly returned to the bridge and immediately made an announcement to let us know that we were not in any grave danger but to please use extreme caution while moving around the ship as rough seas would continue through the night.

I was really impressed with how the crew handled the whole situation and how hard they worked cleaning up all the damage. Most was in the lido and the shops.

Our waiter even came by our table to apologize to us that our dessert would be a bit late due to the circumstances and when we went back to our cabin our Stewart came in our room immediately to tidy up the items that had been tossed around the room.

The captain and crew are the reason why we love to cruise and we will not let this experience stop us from enjoying future ones.

I think if they can avoid bad weather they would. I was told by one of the shop crew members that the amount of damage in broken dishes and merchandise on a cruise out of NYC was around $50,000!

The next morning we all received a letter in our staterooms from the Captain thanking us for our understanding and cooperation during this unexpected incident and to let us know that we would continue to experience 45 knots through the day and to assure us all that our safety is their highest priority at all times.

Thank-you for your post. I am sorry that you broke your foot. This is a great example of the danger that can and does happen when Captains make the decision to continue to sail into a storm. A ship sinking isn't the only danger - passengers are at significant risk of personal injury in heavy swells and listing. For those of you who state that you are never in danger in a storm, I have to disagree.

@meme8, you pose a wonderful question - were there other alternatives?

I've got over 300 days with Hal and been through some rough seas. On one cruise I had 30 foot waves. Not once did I worry about the ship sinking :rolleyes:. If I felt that way I certainly wouldn't be sailing Hal. Don't you think that's a bit of an exaggeration?

I feel bad for the OP--being scared like that is a personal experience, and it was her experience. My DH and I lived on a boat in Alaska for 20 years...a big, ocean going very seaworthy vessel. We were in such rough seas sometimes during those years, there were times I literally thought I would pass out from fear. (Never got sick, but like another comment, I think I was just too scared to be sick a couple of times.) I always looked forward to rough seas on the Alaska ferries...kind of a "hahaha!" to the Sea Gods, that we are on a big boat now, nothing can get me! Alas--one crossing of Dixon Entrance one December disavowed me of that "nothing can get me" feeling. We had 30' seas, the ferry (a very large, very safe vessel) was tacking back and forth trying to keep from being beam-on to the seas...things were flying, people were falling, and it was very, very scary.

On a Panama Canal trip two years ago, we were crossing the Gulf of Tehauntepec, and had sustained winds of 70, and gusts to 90. The ship was heeled over to port the entire time...it wasn't as bad by any means as our crossing of Dixon on a smaller vessel, but still definitely attention-getting.

I have years of experience on a small ship, many days on a big ship, and scary stuff happens. I feel bad that she had that experience--terror on the high seas is really like no other. I get it...I'm sorry she was so frightened. There were times I would have sold our boat to the highest bidder, like right now. IRL Joanie, I remember reading about that storm in the Gulf, and believe me, the Gulf is a mean place to be when it's storming. We lived in Sitka for years and cruised that coast.

I really understand the OP! If she doesn't want to cruise again, it's because she never wants that feeling of helpless terror ever again.

I, too, feel bad that the OP went through a scary experience. I was on the NA, with a severe list that lasted almost 6 minutes so I understand. Was I scared? Of course I was! But I was so amazed by how wonderful and competent the crew were. The situation was handled so quickly and calmly that I knew we were in good hands. And....at the end of the day, I refuse to allow fear to ever control my life. I refuse to live scared. Five years ago, I was sitting a red light on a normal day, singing to the radio and Bam! I was slammed from behind. My world changed in a single instant. I now have metal plates and screws in my neck and even after numerous surgeries on my shoulder (looking at another in the next 6 months) I live with the repercussions every day. Do I now jump when someone honks a horn or I see then getting too close while in my car? Yeah, I do, it's like a reflex. My DH and DD will pick at me and make light of it to try to make me feel better but I'm sure I will always be like that. But you know what........after months of therapy 5 days a week, the minute I was cleared to drive, with a sling, my DH sat by me and encouraged me the entire way home and I drove with a sling still on. I think that when you allow fear to change how you love or dictate what you can or can't do, you miss so much! When we went Alaska 8 years ago, I was too scared to fly in the helicopter or float planes. Well, next year, I'm doing it! I'm not saying anyone is wrong by making their on decisions....I'm sure cruising is not for everyone. I'm just saying I won't let my fears keep me from trying different things. If you don't like it, you don't like it! But hey, I know have a great sailing story to tell!!

I firmly believe that a HAL's captains first concern is his passengers. Also, he and the cruise line are not willing to lose a half a billion dollar cruise ship. So, I would not second guess the captains. That is just my personal opinion. And I have been thrown out of bed when we could not avoid sailing into a hurricane on a cruise many years ago. Once I perceive that we are hitting bad weather or an announcement from the captain states that we are, I immediately go to my cabin, surround myself in bed with pillows, and STAY THERE. I've seen people head to one of the bars in those situations to make a party out of it. It is not a party. I feel safer on a cruise ship than driving down the road to my local supermarket.

I'm just saying I won't let my fears keep me from trying different things. If you don't like it, you don't like it! But hey, I know have a great sailing story to tell!!

Glad you can overcome your fears, not everyone can. I have had a fear of heights my whole life, so I avoid driving in the mountains.

My last cruise was in 2011 where we hit 25 foot seas on the Pacific Northwest cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles. When the 2nd in command on the Bridge answered a fellow's question about why the ship slowed down, with the statement 'he was afraid the ship was going to break apart' it was enough for me to state I wouldn't be cruising again.

And likewise my last flight was 5 hours of hell from Maui back to Los Angeles. The pilot tried to fly over the storm, under the storm, around storm, all to no avail. Only flight I've ever had the oxygen masks drop down, thus I haven't flown again since then.

I also sat on Jamaica on a land vacation as the hurricane headed toward us, but thankfully shifted direction and skirted the island.

I don't ride helicopters, or zip line, and I would never bungy jump or skydive.

And when I make hotel reservations I ask for ground level or no higher up than 3rd floor. My niece just posted photos on Facebook of her hotel in Vegas from the 51st floor (I wouldn't even go up there).

While I know everything may not be perfect on any type of trip, like the OP, I don't plan to spend any part of my vacation in fear. Not my idea of fun!

Thankfully there are plenty of options for all types of folks to choose from.

I firmly believe that a HAL's captains first concern is his passengers. Also, he and the cruise line are not willing to lose a half a billion dollar cruise ship. So, I would not second guess the captains. That is just my personal opinion. And I have been thrown out of bed when we could not avoid sailing into a hurricane on a cruise many years ago. Once I perceive that we are hitting bad weather or an announcement from the captain states that we are, I immediately go to my cabin, surround myself in bed with pillows, and STAY THERE. I've seen people head to one of the bars in those situations to make a party out of it. It is not a party. I feel safer on a cruise ship than driving down the road to my local supermarket.

I am glad that you feel that way. I will be sailing again so and I also feel that the cruise is a safe way to travel. I do not think though that a cruise ship Captain is infallible. The Costa Concordia sinking is proof that a cruise ship Captain can make very serious mistakes.

My sympathies to those that are especially motion-sensitive or get concerned about ship safety in turbulent weather. And surely the Captain is in the best position to decide whether to seek shelter in a harbor (which can have it's own negative consequences) or stay at sea where there is room to maneuver. I well remember the Prinsendam incident off the tip of South America cited above, I was on another HAL ship at the time and we received several reports from our Captain about it.

I've had a few rough voyages, one particularly vicious one on the QE2 on a transatlantic, another on the old Noordam or Nieuw Amsterdam when we caught the tail of Hurricane Floyd. If I can figure how to post a photo I'll show one taken from the rear of the Crow's Nest of Rotterdam on a Rotterdam to NYC crossing a few years back. White water over the top of the Crow's Nest windows on occasion, after about 24 hours it was all over. Lots of green faces and folks in discomfort who had my sympathy but I loved every second of it.

1350946641_RotterdamRolling.jpg.1df95b1d888be90714c64af916e70069.jpg

I am glad that you feel that way. I will be sailing again so and I also feel that the cruise is a safe way to travel. I do not think though that a cruise ship Captain is infallible. The Costa Concordia sinking is proof that a cruise ship Captain can make very serious mistakes.

He was clearly an idiot. I don't think most captains should be compared to him.