Using iPhone for email on board

travelingduo

I have searched the boards for an answer and am still confused. Sorry to be do dense. :confused: If I get the cruise ship data plan from my phone provider (100MB allowance on Verizon) does O also charge a fee? According to my documents, I will be billed by my phone provider. So if I buy the package from Verizon, I don't pay anything to O? It seems that this is much cheaper than the 200 anytime minutes for $160 vs $25 to Verizon. I am only planning on checking and sending email. I already have a package for using phone and data while in ports. Thanks!

An interesting question ... but I think you would have to buy Oceania's package because you need to sign in to the system in order to use it. The best option is to have free internet, then you don't need to worry. :D

Other than that, perhaps buying the cheapest option would be the way to go. You shouldn't need the most expensive version which is unlimited by the day (averaging around $25/day, I think). Or you could just pay by the minute ... which the last time I looked (a very long time ago) was $.99/minute.

Mura

If I get the cruise ship data plan from my phone provider (100MB allowance on Verizon) does O also charge a fee? According to my documents, I will be billed by my phone provider. So if I buy the package from Verizon, I don't pay anything to O? It seems that this is much cheaper than the 200 anytime minutes for $160 vs $25 to Verizon.
If Verizon's plan is 100MB for $25 then that is much better than Oceania's plan and probably faster as it is going over the less used cellular network. I use data regularly on my AT&T plan when overseas and I routinely use 30MB/day using FB, Google maps, Google, general web surfing, and downloading both personal and work email. Just downloading and sending email you'll probably use 10MB/day unless you're sending pics.

There is no charge from O when using your mobile phone as charges will appear on your mobile phone bill.

I think folks are confusing terms here.

The O internet plan is for data and not for voice. Of course there are data based voice and messaging apps (as well as video chat like face time). However, connection quality and speed

No we aren't confused, but you may be. The OP referenced a 100MB plan and only using it for email which is all in reference to a data plan, so OP is talking about data not voice. One definitely does not want to use a mobile data plan for Skype or Facetime as it consumes a huge amount of data, but OP also said s/he was only using it to check email so all is OK with that plan. Edited by Fam_Cruise

I have searched the boards for an answer and am still confused. Sorry to be do dense. :confused: If I get the cruise ship data plan from my phone provider (100MB allowance on Verizon) does O also charge a fee? According to my documents, I will be billed by my phone provider. So if I buy the package from Verizon, I don't pay anything to O? It seems that this is much cheaper than the 200 anytime minutes for $160 vs $25 to Verizon. I am only planning on checking and sending email. I already have a package for using phone and data while in ports. Thanks!

No fee as it is on a separate network called Cellular at Sea that does the voice and data network. You do not have to sign up or pay for the O internet package.

If you purchase the Verizon package for $25 you get 100MB of data. As long as there are no attachments (photo's, documents) - it should last from 7 to 10 days. Cellular at Sea is switched off when you are in port so make sure you have an international data plan covering these ports/countries.

If you plan on using more data when the ship is not in port, you can also purchase from Verizon 250MB for $50.

No we aren't confused, but you may be. The OP referenced a 100MB plan and only using it for email which is all in reference to a data plan, so OP is talking about data not voice. One definitely does not want to use a mobile data plan for Skype or Facetime as it consumes a huge amount of data, but OP also said s/he was only using it to check email so all is OK with that plan.

I'm not confused - just hit premature send.

It was Mura's comment that seemed confused since "connect@sea" is not associated with O's internet. That said, a cell carrier's cruise ship plan (e.g., connect@sea) only works at sea. Regular international roaming charges will apply in ports that are not domestic though there are discounts to be had with international voice, data and/or messaging plans from the carrier. OP says they have land use covered. IMO, however, 100MB for the length of the cruise would require a watchful eye.

With new O Life, unlimited data for one is included, IMO, add your carrier's regular international plan for land use in ports and you've covered all based.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Thank you for your replies. Even though we are in an OC, free internet does not start until December, and our sailing did not include Internet as a perk and it is not an O Life sailing. I'm not trying to be cheap, I am just trying to chose the most sensible plan. I read that using the cellular is actually faster than the ships's internet. Thanks again.

Edited by travelingduo

The best deal is T-Mobile. Free unlimited email and text and Internet in more than 100 countries.
It would appear so on the surface until you read the fine print and actually experience it. I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile for just that benefit, but discovered very quickly that their free International data was restricted to 2G service. A web page on my iPhone would take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to load. Being very disappointed I returned to AT&T within 2-3 weeks. Edited by Fam_Cruise

It would appear so on the surface until you read the fine print and actually experience it. I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile for just that benefit, but discovered very quickly that their free International data was restricted to 2G service. A web page on my iPhone would take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to load. Being very disappointed I returned to AT&T within 2-3 weeks.

We have used it successfully all over the world. Mostly for email. Works great.

It would appear so on the surface until you read the fine print and actually experience it. I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile for just that benefit, but discovered very quickly that their free International data was restricted to 2G service. A web page on my iPhone would take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to load. Being very disappointed I returned to AT&T within 2-3 weeks.

Cost aside, you will find that AT&T has the most partner networks even in the world's most far flung corners.

Cost aside, you will find that AT&T has the most partner networks even in the world's most far flung corners.
You're preaching to the choir. With the exception of those few weeks, I've been with AT&T for ever and a day. Very happy and when abroad I use my iPhone for all of the same things (web browsing, email, etc.) as I do at home. When traveling I also use it for pocket guides.

2G was not designed for web browsing even though you are able to browse, but quite painfully. For email it works great, and for GPS it works well but the downloading of the maps to show your location will take forever; however, in the case of pocket guides (and some mapping apps) you can usually pay and download it before you go or when you're on Wifi and then it uses the saved tour, pictures and maps for your tour. Just a few more steps to jump through but if you're using 2G one that will make your life less painful when using pocket guides and maps.

Web browsing was the giant leap that was introduced with 3G.

Now video on demand with LTE/4G which will chew up boat loads of data; I don't use VOD at home or abroad as I have set the option to only use Video in FB and Video apps when on Wifi, Skype and Facetime are also set to only work on Wifi.

Mobile data evolution details are provided below for anyone who may be interested:

2G speeds of 56-115Kbps and bandwidth of 200KHz circa 2001-2004

3G speeds up to 2Mbps and bandwidth of 2MHz circa 2004-2012

4G LTE speeds up to 2Gbps and bandwidth of up to 100MHz circa 2012-present

Edited by Fam_Cruise

The best deal is T-Mobile. Free unlimited email and text and Internet in more than 100 countries

No roaming charges

Just not on ship

Interesting discussion but I think that the last sentence of the quoted post bears repeating just not on the ship. I have not heard of a "cruise ship data plan" -- this could be something new. Most of the plans being discussed work well internationally but not on a cruise ship.

Edited by Travelcat2

Interesting discussion but I think that the last sentence of the quoted post bears repeating just not on the ship. I have not heard of a "cruise ship data plan" -- this could be something new. Most of the plans being discussed work well internationally but not on a cruise ship.

There are international voice/data/text plans like ATT Passport, which do not work while at sea and out of range of partner network cell towers AND there are "while at sea" plans offered by some carriers for some phones (e.g., cellular@sea or similar names), which don't work in port/on land.

My point was that if you are on a port intensive cruise you can get and send all your emails and texts every day in port for free using t mobile without paying for ship Internet. Unless you need Internet for work, that works for many people

We either have free internet on board or a huge obc to cover free internet but it is great to just use your phone anywhere while in port without having to search for free wifi without concern for cost. Their phone rates are also great

My point was that if you are on a port intensive cruise you can get and send all your emails and texts every day in port for free using t mobile without paying for ship Internet. Unless you need Internet for work, that works for many people

We either have free internet on board or a huge obc to cover free internet but it is great to just use your phone anywhere while in port without having to search for free wifi without concern for cost. Their phone rates are also great

Thank you for the explanation (Flatbush Flyer as well). What I don't understand is why it is "great" to use your phone anywhere. Aren't you on vacation? I do understand the internet since you can check on your pets or work while onboard the ship. IMO, having to be "connected" 24/7 is sad:o

P.S. We do have 8 hours "free" phone access as well as "free" internet for both of us on Regent. While we do use the internet, we rarely use the phone. There have been emergencies that other passengers have had - we allow them to use our telephone minutes. For us, being away from cell phones while at sea is a blessing!

Edited by Travelcat2

What I don't understand is why it is "great" to use your phone anywhere.
Some of us do more than a cruise or two a year. Like multiple multi-week land based trips, 6-8 week round the world trips, and also cruises. I don't have a dog, but I do like to use pocket guides for various city and site tours. While one could use an iPod or MPeg player to download all the tours before the trip, but then you have to know what you are looking at or follow their directions and for a 6-8 week trip it would take a lot of pre-planning. Whereas with the iPhone (or other smart phone) just use the pocket guide and via its GPS it knows where you are and tells you about your surroundings. You can either follow their tour or just wing it and go where you want. I'm an avid walker so it's not unusual for me to walk about a city for 6-8 hours. Like at home I also use the iPhone for directions, traffic, boarding passes, flight status updates, rebooking flights during IROPS, Uber, find a restaurant or cafe, post real time pics to Facebook, texting is the easiest and best way to stay together with others on a trip, and YES, I also check email. So technology used the right way can be a great benefit.

Aren't you on vacation?
Yes, I am. My iPhone and PC allow me to work from anywhere in the world and I travel for fun 3-4 months a year and take my office with me. So technology (my PC and iPhone) allows me to make the world my office something that was impossible 12 years ago.

I do understand the internet since you can check on your pets or work while onboard the ship.
I have no pets as it wouldn't be right to leave them for 3-4 months a year. The iPhone allows me to not be tethered to my PC for work purposes. If something comes up that needs immediate attention, 90% of the time I can handle it on my iPhone; if not then I can either handle it later or defer it to my boss or others for more detailed immediate attention.
IMO, having to be "connected" 24/7 is sad:o
Only from your perspective. From mine it is quite liberating. I make my travel plans and tell my boss where i'll be and when. He and his wife have actually joined me on few ski trips and also a 4 week trip for New Years in Sydg ney followed by a New Zealand cruise. BTW, he owns the company and I am very fortunate to have a job where i have this much flexibility. Work revolves around my life, not vice versa. After all one must have their priorities.

Now if I only got 2-4 weeks of vacation a year and worked the whole time I was on vacation, and then returned to an office that I had to be in 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week, then yes that would be sad. It all depends on ones perspective and how they phrase the statement... "being connected is liberating" vs "having to be "connected" 24/7 is sad". I know of few people, myself included, who need to be connected 24/7. No work on weekends, evenings, overnight, etc. for me. So yes, in the literal sense, being connected 24/7 would be sad; but I think in the context of your post starting with "What I don't understand is why it is "great" to use your phone anywhere" I think your phrasing of "connected" 24/7 is sad" was probably more rhetorical than literal.

Edited by Fam_Cruise

WARNING WARNING WARNING

I had the VERIZON plan that did NOT connect or work on the REGATTA in SEPT

Unfortunatly. I tried at every port to call VERIZON on the TA they did NOT help or know the problem--ATT and SPRINT were working----

Since then they have STILL not responded with the cause or IF my phone will work on the RIVERIA in JAN!!!

FRUSTRATING

FRANK

WARNING WARNING WARNING

I had the VERIZON plan that did NOT connect or work on the REGATTA in SEPT

Unfortunatly. I tried at every port to call VERIZON on the TA they did NOT help or know the problem--ATT and SPRINT were working----

Since then they have STILL not responded with the cause or IF my phone will work on the RIVERIA in JAN!!!

FRUSTRATING

FRANK

I have used a Verizon phone onboard many times. You have to have an international capable device and plan. You may have to update your phone with some code before you leave home.

You can get your email on your phone onboard by using Wifi and using your Oceania internet plan. You can use your ipad or laptop or their computers as long as you have the plan.

I love being able to be connected from anywhere in the world not only for dogs or work but we live in an age that gives us the freedom to stay in touch with whom we want when we want. Some people think there is only their way to live and are judgmental when you don't want to live they way they think you should.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

I have used a Verizon phone onboard many times. You have to have an international capable device and plan. You may have to update your phone with some code before you leave home.

You can get your email on your phone onboard by using Wifi and using your Oceania internet plan. You can use your ipad or laptop or their computers as long as you have the plan.

I love being able to be connected from anywhere in the world not only for dogs or work but we live in an age that gives us the freedom to stay in touch with whom we want when we want. Some people think there is only their way to live and are judgmental when you don't want to live they way they think you should.

Actually, IMO, it is the people that demand to be connected to the world 24/7 and complain about the connectivity on board that is the problem. Those of us that do not care or need to be connected don't mind either way but get a bit tired of the constant complaints. On the other hand, I feel that it is very important to warn posters that they need to be absolutely certain that they can email (or call) from the ship without paying the ship's fees as they be extremely expensive. This is about caring - not being judgmental!

Wifi will connect you to email. It's the same price via phone on Wifi or in the internet cafe.

Ocenia at Sea allows you to use VOIP on your cell phone - similar to skype. It's less than using the cell towers to connect home and you use your phone to talk bypassing the cell tower/roaming.