Solo in Europe ... what cruise would you choose?

Virtopia

Ok, so I've decided on making September 2016 the cruise that I finally venture to Europe!! I'm already in the planning stages and I currently have 2 cruises booked, but am undecided on which one to keep.

Cruise 1 is a 10 night Greek cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas. It leaves from Venice and goes to Corfu, Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Kotor and Zadar.

Cruise 2 is a 12 night Mediterranean cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. It leaves from Barcelona and goes to Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Athens, Ephesus, Santorini and Valletta.

For either city, I'd be arriving 2 days early.

So, cruise 2 is $700 more than cruise 1. Cruise 1 is a standard inside, so since I'd be going alone, it would equal 20 points. Cruise 2 is a studio inside, so I would only be getting 12 points. The top two places on my bucket list are any cities in Italy and Santorini, which are covered by both cruises. However, cruise 2 would also afford me the opportunity to see France and Spain in one shot.

I'm leaning towards cruise 2 (can you tell from my signature?? LOL) but for me to upgrade to a regular inside cabin on that sailing, it would be another $1,300.

Which would you choose and why? All opinions welcomed and appreciated :)

Cruise 2 more of a cultural tour I'm Irish and would choose 2 but financially for you 1 is better don't know about the cabin styles but like the ports of call for 2 better

Edited by judymag

I would go with cruise 1. Kotor and Zadar are on my wish list and I'd love to get back to Mykonos.

With cruise 2, Florence and Rome are a trek to get to and I don't feel like a day is nearly enough time in either so would need to go back again - I have been to both several times (by cruise and as a land vacation and I much prefer them as land only).

Have fun deciding :)

Thanks for the thoughts so far! I feel like if I do cruise 1, I'm missing out on a lot of destinations that I'd get in cruise 2. Since I want to secure my flights by the middle of November, I need to decide fairly quickly. If I did cruise 1, I also feel like I'd have to stay in Venice longer to make up for the 2 missed days of cruise 2.

I didn't think this decision would be so tough!

Both cruises offer a good itinerary. However the second choice covers destinations for a first timer to Europe. Since this is your first European cruise I would go with the second choice.

Also the flight options to Barcelona will be easier and may be cheaper than going to Venice.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the thoughts so far! I feel like if I do cruise 1, I'm missing out on a lot of destinations that I'd get in cruise 2. Since I want to secure my flights by the middle of November, I need to decide fairly quickly. If I did cruise 1, I also feel like I'd have to stay in Venice longer to make up for the 2 missed days of cruise 2.

I didn't think this decision would be so tough!

You are kidding, right? Awesome cruise A vs. awesome cruise B? what an Amazing choice to make.

Both are awesome- but I'm going to suggestion something for A that will get Rome and Florence- just not Ephesus (which is an amazing site).

While you can fly directly into Venice- I would look into flying into Rome. Stay two nights, go to Florence first thing- stay a night there, and then a train to Venice (or something like that). That gets two of the big stops from Cruise B- plus the time you get to see the sights it a little better, since you don't have a hour bus to and from the port.

If you can do 14 nights for a 12 night cruise- you should be able to do 14 nights for a 10 night cruise.

Good luck, and you'll have a great trip whichever choice you make!

Edited by alfaeric

Ok, so I've decided on making September 2016 the cruise that I finally venture to Europe!! I'm already in the planning stages and I currently have 2 cruises booked, but am undecided on which one to keep.

Cruise 1 is a 10 night Greek cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas. It leaves from Venice and goes to Corfu, Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Kotor and Zadar.

Cruise 2 is a 12 night Mediterranean cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. It leaves from Barcelona and goes to Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Athens, Ephesus, Santorini and Valletta.

For either city, I'd be arriving 2 days early.

So, cruise 2 is $700 more than cruise 1. Cruise 1 is a standard inside, so since I'd be going alone, it would equal 20 points. Cruise 2 is a studio inside, so I would only be getting 12 points. The top two places on my bucket list are any cities in Italy and Santorini, which are covered by both cruises. However, cruise 2 would also afford me the opportunity to see France and Spain in one shot.

I'm leaning towards cruise 2 (can you tell from my signature?? LOL) but for me to upgrade to a regular inside cabin on that sailing, it would be another $1,300.

Which would you choose and why? All opinions welcomed and appreciated :)

Cruise #1 hands down for various reasons:

• $700 less
  • double points
  • Rhapsody is beautiful (I like her better than Radiance Class)
  • Kotor and Zadar in Croatia will be amazing ports of call
  • Imo sailing in/out of Venice will be the single most amazing cruise experience you will ever have
  • Florence takes a good 1.5 hours to get to/from Livorno, so 3 hours on a bus for a 7 hour excursion... get my drift? There is no possible way whatsoever under any circumstances you can enjoy Florence in only 4 hours!
  • Rome is an hour by bus or train from Civitavecchia both there and back... there is no possible way you can see Rome in 5-6 hours.

The previous poster is 100% correct on every single account!

You said you would do 2 days pre-cruise on either sailing... well, that means on the 12 day Brilliance you would have a 14 day vacation correct? So for the 10 day cruise plan 4 days pre-cruise on land and then get on board Rhapsody.

• Day 1&2 Rome
  • Day 3 Train to Florence (or simply stay in Rome... day trip to Pompeii or Naples/Capri!! by train, very easy)
  • Day 4 Train to Venice
  • Day 5-15 Rhapsody

Whatever you choose have an unbelievable cruise and vacation... you will come back wondering how you can get back there rather than going to Cozumel and Nassau again!!! :eek::D:D

Have visited most ports from your two cruise options, live in UK so easy for me. Cruise 2 definitely leans towards cultural/historical sites while cruise 1 is more biased towards scenic/natural beauty. Some fabulous places to visit on both. Venice has stunning sail in, Santorini will depend on weather as it is a tender port and seas can be rough which may prevent you getting off the ship. Agree about the long journeys in Italy but it is worth it when you get there. Cruise 2 will be the more tiring of the two as it will involve long days touring. The number of sea/rest days may influence you too.

Whichever one you chose enjoy it and then start saving to do the other cruise in the future:).

Thanks again everyone. I did a lot of research into cruise 1 last night such as hotels and flights. I also changed my room location. I think I'm leaning towards that one now. As much as I'd love to visit France and Spain, to get to travel through Italy for a few days before my cruise would be a dream. Plus, it's hard for me to leave 8 cruise points on the table for $700 less than cruise 2. That $700 would more than cover my hotels and train tickets.

Edited by Virtopia

Thanks again everyone. I did a lot of research into cruise 1 last night such as hotels and flights. I also changed my room location. I think I'm leaning towards that one now. As much as I'd love to visit France and Spain, to get to travel through Italy for a few days before my cruise would be a dream. Plus, it's hard for me to leave 8 cruise points on the table for $700 less than cruise 2. That $700 would more than cover my hotels and train tickets.

Hey Virtopia, my Serenade review below in my signature has a full day pre-cruise in Rome as a solo traveler on land, 2 days in Venice mid review (with pics of sail-in and sail-away), Korfu & Kotor. Hope that may help you. re Rome, a bazillion hotels in and around Termini Station, super easy from airport, metro is right there and walking distance to everything if you're a walker.

Hey Virtopia, my Serenade review below in my signature has a full day pre-cruise in Rome as a solo traveler on land, 2 days in Venice mid review (with pics of sail-in and sail-away), Korfu & Kotor. Hope that may help you. re Rome, a bazillion hotels in and around Termini Station, super easy from airport, metro is right there and walking distance to everything if you're a walker.

Thanks!! I'll definitely go through your review with pen and paper beside me :D

• 1 month later...
I would choose the Venice cruise as I don't know how much longer cruise ships will be allowed there.

I agree as I've taken 3 of these (Brilliance and Serenade) and have had a fantastic time, especially with the layover in Venice. The sight of entering Venice canal(s) is breathtaking.

We were in Italy this summer and took the train from Florence to Rome with a 3 hour stop in Pisa. SO WORTH IT! It is an amazing site so if you can take the time, go see it.

I'm spending 3 days in Rome and one of those days, I'm doing a day trip to Florence. I will now have to look into Pisa as well!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Just an update ... I went with option #1 and will be doing pre cruise stops in Rome and Florence and a post cruise stop in Milan on my way home. I booked all my hotels for the trip yesterday. Thanks again for all the help! :D

Please write a review of this cruise when you return. I'm thinking of booking a solo cruise. I've visited Paris and Rome on land trips only and would much prefer that than a cruise (the overnight train ride from Paris to Rome was fabulous). There is just so much to do in the City of Lights and Rome that it should be done at leisure!!:D

Edited by laedw
inclusion

Please write a review of this cruise when you return. I'm thinking of booking a solo cruise. I've visited Paris and Rome on land trips only and would much prefer that than a cruise (the overnight train ride from Paris to Rome was fabulous). There is just so much to do in the City of Lights and Rome that it should be done at leisure!!:D

I'll definitely be doing a review when I get back ... in fact, I already picked the notebook that I'll be using to keep my notes!! LOL can you tell I'm excited? :D