What Stateroom Amenities would you like to see added or restored?

LMaxwell

Over the years we have all watched as stateroom amenities have been removed or reduced. Now Carnival is piloting a program to find out if you want the standard and traditional amount of services, or if you would be happy with less.

Carnival is always looking to save costs and increase profits. Great for them. But I'm not Carnival and my interests are in maximizing the value I get for my discretionary vacation dollars.

What are some items that have been removed that you would like to see returned to staterooms? Or what are some ideas for new amenities or services that could be offered? It can be something large or small, if it is something that you would appreciate then please share it; you can not be 'wrong' and should ignore the loyalists who will almost certainly try to co-opt this thread to shout down suggestions and opinions on improvements.

I would suggest bringing back the bathroom amenity trays. they were very useful. I'm not sure what I would suggest new to add; I will have to think of that more.

Seeing as how the amenity basket in the bathroom was filled with samples that were given to Carnival you would be better off contacting those companies and asking them to give Carnival the samples again. I think Chocolates on the pillow are the only thing not there any more. I never ate them any way. So I am good.

I would love to see ceiling fans, or a stand up fan for each room. Its luck of the draw if you request one whether you will get it or not. Also a way to set a "DAILY" limit on S&S card. Some days I want to sleep in and DS wants to go go go, and I have to get up and run down to the kiosk to up his limit his daily amount.

YES. We have been fortunate enough to get a fan in the past and I am seriously considering bring a small one on our next cruise because I'm anxious we won't get one again and I cannot sleep if I'm too hot! So I would love to see a fan or better/lower thermostat control.

I would also appreciate nightlights in the bathroom and a clock/alarm clock.

As far as toiletries, I'd much rather bring my own. Give me hand soap and that's it. Everyone has such different preferences most of it would either go to waste or just be hoarded by kids (I know I always did at hotels when I was a kid!).

To the poster who requested a cover for the remote, I do think that's a good idea. Until there is a solution, for those who want something like that, you could bring a quart size ziplock baggie to use. Or a trazel size pack of Lysol wipes.

To the OP who likes disposable slippers, I have to say I disagree - I think it sounds very wasteful. Everyone is entitled to their own wants and opinions - I just can't back this one.

Well, since you are asking I would love to see an upgrade in the free coffee, other than the syrup. I know you buy the coffee card, which you can get the specialty coffees but it would be nice to just get an upgrade to good tasting coffee and put out some flavored coffee creamers. Other than that I won't be picky, I just love cruising.

Edited by USNUZULOOSE

The things that we would appreciate added to our stateroom are a clock, hair conditioner, and a small coffeemaker like they have on Norwegian. I would be head over heels for a coffeemaker. We bring our Melita pour overs and coffee beans with us on every cruise seeking the perfect cup of coffee to enjoy on our balcony. Adding these things to the stateroom would save us some room in our luggage. As a side note- we always bring a can of Lysol and spray EVERYTHING including the remote as soon as we walk in the room and spray again daily.

Well, since you are asking I would love to see an upgrade in the free coffee, other than the syrup. I know you buy the coffee card, which you can get the specialty coffees but it would be nice to just get an upgrade to good tasting coffee and put out some flavored coffee creamers. Other than that I won't be picky, I just love cruising.

The lido coffee machines use grounds. Seen the being filled on the Miracle.

YES. We have been fortunate enough to get a fan in the past and I am seriously considering bring a small one on our next cruise because I'm anxious we won't get one again and I cannot sleep if I'm too hot! So I would love to see a fan or better/lower thermostat control.

I would also appreciate nightlights in the bathroom...

I do bring a fan, but feel they should modify the system so room temps can be to guest comfort. Our upcoming cruise is 21 days and if my stateroom is hot, I WILL use the vacation guarantee. This is something I will follow up on aggressively during the first 24 hours.

Nightlight would be amazing! I also bring one of those.

There are some reasonable helpful ideas here.

If Carnival would implement those, people would do cartwheels!

Yes, to USB plugs & more TV interactiveness, that's just catching up with tech.

There could be a page on the TV to check what services you would like or this could be in the online check-in process.

Ice, towels, turn down, animals, morning service, etc... Could all be listed.

Carnival prints it out & the stewards know who wants what!

But, is all that (which I think would be easy) harder then just uniform services for everyone.

I like the idea of personalization of the services.

Yes, to good soap, adding conditioner would be FABULOUS.

Decent Shampoo, Conditioner & Body Wash would be so helpful & appreciated

A 1000 times yes, to a CLOCK & empty working refrigerator.

Even a ice machine in the hall would be so convenient.

I really think these additions would put them ahead of their competition.

The frou frou stuff being out is fine. I bring a razor, slipper socks, etc....

IMHO, Carnival is THE budget cruise line and has done well with that.

They will undoubtedly continue to lessen things to improve profits.

If someone wants a baseline cruise, they are IT.

If more service, a bit more refinement, shall we say; another line may be cruised

And yes they make cutbacks too as much as possible.

Money & Greed are what drives everything. Period, IMHO.

As society changes, so will every business out there.

White glove service in the MDR is really unappealing to a lot of younger cruisers, but some have enjoyed it for so long it is hard to look at cruises differently than how they used to be.

Casualness is how many live their lives now.

Carnival is the Casual Cruise Line out of all of the major lines.[

Amen!

Michael

Of all the suggestions so far I would be interested in the nightlight in the bathroom and the clock.

As for the hot cabins, I have had that twice.

Both times I called and nothing was done.

After that I resolved that if I had a hot cabin again I will not accept the within limits response.

If you have had a truly hot cabin, then you know what I am talking about.

I never would have thought disposable slippers or usb ports built into lamps (very common these days) was champagne wishes on a beer budget, nor do I think the suggestions for enabled TV ports/bluetooth, or a bathroom nightlight are something anyone should be told to go to another line for. They're reasonable wishes, IMO.

As to the idea that this thread is a Carnival bash thread; no, it is not. It is a thread to talk about ideas for things we'd like to see incorporated, added, or improved on. Sometimes a banana is just a banana

But whoever said clock in the room, wow, you fancy! :D

Although I understand the sentiment of the OP, every single preferential amenity carries a cost.

What distinguishes Carnival from its competition is being able to consistently provide a cost-affordable experience without the fluff most who sail with the line don't want (and can't afford).

I personally don't cruise to be feel pampered with toiletries, turn-down service, interactive television or chocolates on the pillow so for me these are amenities that would just end up being built into a higher cruise fare.

If one wants an elevated level of stateroom amenity, there are lines that provide it. Trying to turn Carnival into its upscale competition is an exercise in futility. It's just not what the Carnival product is (or should be).

I agree, however the interactive tv feature was a nice touch during my last sailing.

:)

Edited by ObstructedView2

I don't need:

Nicer shampoo & soap; Conditioner, lotion etc: No matter what kind of toiletries were provided, most people would bring their preferred brands anyway.

Chocolates on the pillow: We are rarely ate them anyway, as they were not that great. I can bring along a bag of kisses or Dove squares for when I need a chocolate fix.

Amenity basket: Since you never knew what would be in these, they did not save packing all needed items.

Light in bathroom - I buy a night light at the dollar store

Minibar: room service is readily available

Hope they keep:

Bathrobes in the cabins - robes take up a great deal of packing space, so it's nice not to have to pack one

Would be nice:

More interactive capacities on TV as mentioned in other posts , including a clock and a way to set an alarm

USB ports in room; these can be provided on the TV's as they upgrade them

Refrigerators (NOT minibars)

What I need:

A comfortable bed with quality linens (which Carnival provides; in fact, I think the quality of bedding has actually improved over the years)

An affordable cruise experience

I never would have thought disposable slippers or usb ports built into lamps (very common these days) was champagne wishes on a beer budget, nor do I think the suggestions for enabled TV ports/bluetooth, or a bathroom nightlight are something anyone should be told to go to another line for. They're reasonable wishes, IMO.

As to the idea that this thread is a Carnival bash thread; no, it is not. It is a thread to talk about ideas for things we'd like to see incorporated, added, or improved on. Sometimes a banana is just a banana

But whoever said clock in the room, wow, you fancy! :D

I could see USB in the lamps over time on Carnival and definitely in the TVs, which are being upgraded little by little. If lamps, I imagine older ships wouldn't all get them though (that'd be a very expensive re-outfit for little gain) even once they started that concept. It's not really THAT common yet - it's a fairly new feature even to the hotels that have them and plenty don't. Carnival doesn't even have flatscreen TVs in all cabins yet though so I figure they'll be behind on this, mainly because it's not high on the priorities of what their guests expect/want over other features. (I think many, many cruisers consider the stateroom one of the least important aspects of their travel outside of a quiet, comfortable place to sleep. On that note, Carnival does have some of the best beds, linens, and largest room-for-the-class/price setups around.)

I don't see alarm clocks happening, not because they're fancy but just because they'd be semi-obsolete by the time Carnival bothered (I'm 30 and haven't had an alarm clock since I was 20 or so; many people even my age just use our phones; younger people have never had and will never had alarm clocks in many cases), but maybe add that to the interactive TV.

Slippers seems not so much like a "caviar dream" to me as much as a really old-fashioned AND wasteful idea that would just be throwing money away for the majority, I imagine, and also annoy some people who see the waste. There are lines with lots of old-fashioned amenities, codes, and services, but I think Carnival is not that line and, in many ways, it makes me glad. I always cringed at the chocolate waste, and I would cringe at the slipper waste. I kind of cringe at the FT waste, but it's rough to bring electronics around the boat still so I do use the paper FT.