For those of you who have switched sailings

Bxprojectgirl

Hi everyone, I have lurked on this website and gotten very good advice. In saying that I am looking for other's experiences.

My husband and I are booked on a cruise next year and got a great price and two perks as it is a Europe cruise. We also got it with the gratuities on the UBP and UDP included. The problem is we will be unable to go on this cruise and want to move to a cruise for later in the year. While reading postings on this site I have read that some people have been able to move their trip and keep their perks.

What has been your experience?

Have had to do this once before.

It was a cancellation and a rebook, simple as that. Fortunately, was way before final payment and the promotions were comparable for the new booking.

Doesn't matter what is said here though. If NCL will allow you to slide your booking to another sailing date and keep the promos from the original time of booking...well, the only people that can tell you that is NCL. I consider it unlikely they would allow this, but... call and see.

Thank you, I did see that other thread. The thought is that the people who commented had used vouchers. That may have separate rules. Although I have sailed NCL, I didn't buy the credit. That is why I am hoping other people can comment before I decide what to do.

Thanks again.

It is normally cancel and rebook. If you are booked direct with NCL, call a few times and see if you can get someone willing to work with you. I fear that you're going to get stuck with the current promotions which only gives you one free choice vs. the two you got before with the European cruise.

We booked a European cruise next week back in January. We got two choices. I have not seen the two choice promotion in a while. Unless you are in a suite when you get them all. Also, the promotions changed to where you end up paying the 18% gratuity on the Specialty Dining Package and UDP. So "free" is not "free" any more

Edited by BirdTravels

Also, the promotions changed to where you end up paying the 18% gratuity on the Specialty Dining Package and UDP. So "free" is not "free" any more

UDP is the old, unlimited dining package that OP now has, SDP has since replaced it in the promo. The drink package is UBP.

I was one of the posters on the other thread, where I remarked that I got to keep my reservation number and the amenities received and booked for my original booking when I switched to another sail date and ship.

Just to be sure if I didn't misremember (after a while all those free drinks do catch up with you :p) I had a look at the exact details and dates, and:

• The booking reference was the same for both sailings
  • I kept my original promo (UBP with included gratuities) even though when I changed to the new sailing, which was around mid June, the then current promo required that you pay gratuities on the UBP
  • The NCL agent who made the change sent me an amenities invoice to confirm the new sailing had the UBP and the UDP which I had already purchased myself (again, before it was necessary to pay gratuities on the UDP )

So I would surmise that this was not a cancel & rebook but a straightforward change of the existing booking. The way I booked the original sailing was:

• I made the booking on ncl.com myself
  • I used a Cruise Reward linked to my Lattitudes account for the deposit
  • To change the booking, I called the NCL reservation desk

It may indeed be a case of being lucky to get an agent who works with you to get you the best outcome. I tried to find info in the T&C on how booking amendments normally are dealt with but I can't find anything.

I recently had the same situation. We were booked on a B2B next Sept. We decided to change that to a totally different sailing next Nov - which was a 14 day instead of a B2B. Our agent (big box store/agency) was able to use the same reservation number from one of the B2B sailings which allowed us to keep everything we had as added amenities - UBP with gratuities included, etc. We were thrilled.

So my advice to the OP would be call them. Tell them that you are considering changing your cruise and have them do a mock booking for you - then ask the rep did all of your original amenities move over to it. Good luck!

Same scenario for us. Original booking made in June for October 2016 on Breakaway and changed last week to May 2016 with a different cabin category. Agent said NOT to cancel and rebook, but to just do a change of date. Kept the same dollar conversion rate (amazing!) and the same promo (no grats added on the UBP) and kept the same reservation number. The agent said he did not know why anyone would do a cancellation and rebook and lose the perks from original booking.

FANTASTIC!

Thanks to all of you for posting! This is just the information that I needed.

Now I have the method of how this can be done when I talk to my agent. I hate having to change the date, but sometimes life doesn't cooperate.

Again, thanks to all of you and fingers crossed.

I don't know if this makes a Duffey, but it appears that some of the replies stating a date change can be done are not in the US. I know there are sometimes different rules.

Even though I don't live in the US, I did book through the US NCL office.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to come back and let you know what happened with my switch. I got a wonderful agent on the phone at the online travel agency I used. (the person I booked it with was no longer there) She was in a great mood and she was more than happy to help me try and change the cruise and keep the perks, and IT WORKED! I explained what everyone here had said about keeping the booking number and just changing the information, and she was able to do it. I am amazed and so grateful to her for working with me, and to all of you for giving me the information.

This just proves that it never hurts to ask. I just had to pay a small fee for the change, but it is totally worth it to keep my perks.

Great and safe travels to you all!