sorry, another tipping question....

KornishKruiser

We are currently on the Queen Elizabeth and enjoying every minute. We have just 3 days left on our voyage and are thinking about tipping extra those people who have really gone the extra mile (we also have the auto gratuity which we are keeping on). The waiters who have looked after us have been amazing, but also the head of section in the Britannia Restaurant has been brilliant, so friendly and making sure everything is exactly right. We will be tipping the waiters, but it is appropriate and 'done' to tip the head of section too?

Thanks in advance!

We are currently on the Queen Elizabeth and enjoying every minute. We have just 3 days left on our voyage and are thinking about tipping extra those people who have really gone the extra mile (we also have the auto gratuity which we are keeping on). The waiters who have looked after us have been amazing, but also the head of section in the Britannia Restaurant has been brilliant, so friendly and making sure everything is exactly right. We will be tipping the waiters, but it is appropriate and 'done' to tip the head of section too?

Thanks in advance!

A great post that says it all.

Any gratuity is accepted with grace. Do not forget to complete the individual "Star" cards which are highly valued by Cunard staff. For the recognition anything extra special an E-mail to wearecunard@cunard.co.uk

I have been told the best way to reward staff other then the tip [and yes, we usually include our section Head Waiter in our 'who we tip' list,] and the personal Star cards is to mention them by name on the satisfaction survey handed out prior to the end of the cruise. This is read by Head Office and names of staff who have delivered exceptional service are noted by 'those who count'.

Thanks in advance!

Head of section? Maître D, perhaps? What we do is get envelopes at the pursers desk & put in what we'd like to tip extra. You then give it to the staff you wish to tip on your last night at sea. Some prefer to tip on the last formal night. It will be accepted most graciously.

Thanks everyone, that's been very useful.

Yes, will be very hard to disembark, but have another voyage booked for next year already to Norway so looking forward to that.

Good idea about filling in the 'star' cards, will certainly do that!

Thanks again everyone.:)

FWIW, I find it useful to bring some small blank envelopes. It allows me to subtly set aside varying amounts according to the level of service rather than fumble through bills on the last night. X dollars with crew member A's name on the envelope, Y dollars for crew member B, etc. Works for me.

Any advice on what is a good and fair tip for very good service from an individual, given the other payments already deducted from our cards?
We've gone as high as $50, more typically $20-30, although sometimes we haven't added anything above the auto-tip.

Perhaps booking prepaid gratuity promotions affects our generosity...

Any advice on what is a good and fair tip for very good service from an individual, given the other payments already deducted from our cards?

For a cabin steward, I use a guideline of $10 per night and adjust according to service and circumstances. For waiters, where there are typically the same three which serve our table, I use $5 per day as a starting point. I have not been in a situation where I've felt the autotip was sufficient but it's PG and there is an expected greater level of service.

I dined in Queen Grill this month. tipped the waiter who served us every day, didn't tip the maitre'd as he did not even greet us once on the cruise

so my advice is follow your heart and tip those you feel deserve it

That does sound very unusual. Are you saying that the QG Maitre'd ( who is in fact the senior Maitre'd of all the restaurants onboard) never once passed by your table, never asked or suggested if you would like to dine off menu or never bid you the time of the day or goodnight when you left the dining room. ?:confused:

What ship was this ?

Edited by Bell Boy

yes, I was on a 6 days cruise, not once did the Maitre'd come to our table, lunch or dinner to greet us. We did see him dancing around other tables chatting to other guests though.

On my previous cruise on QV, Osman Pinaulglu was the Maitre'd in Queen Grill. He was so nice. Then I met him again on QM where he got promoted as senior Cunard Maitre'd. We asked for a special main course for dinner and he arranged it perfect for us.

So for the Maitre' on QE, Sorry, don't know his name as he did not even introduce himself!