Getting off ship after checking in at FLL

wbrumel

We are meeting others for a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale in January. Question: can we check in early and then get back off ship and out to the curb to help an elderly relative board later? In all my 30+ cruises, I don't remember ever getting off the ship after initial embarkation.

We are meeting others for a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale in January. Question: can we check in early and then get back off ship and out to the curb to help an elderly relative board later? In all my 30+ cruises, I don't remember ever getting off the ship after initial embarkation.

How very kind of you to do that.

Whenever we cruise with family or friends, the people who arrive first go back out to greet the later arrivals and help them with their luggage.

We are especially eager to see them ASAP when we have not seen them in a long time.

We didn't know if the policies would be the same at British ports, but apparently they are, at least at Harwich.

We arrived at our ship there ahead of our children, who were coming in on a later flight. So we had already eaten lunch on board, and were keeping an eye out looking for their bus to arrive from the airport.

As soon as we saw it entering the port area, we went running out to greet them.

Also, that is a good way to get an embarkation photo of everyone boarding the ship together when you all arrive at different times.

The photographers are not going to refuse to take your picture, even if they should remember that they saw you board two hours earlier.:)

But I also like to go back out again at ports that have stores located conveniently close to the dock, both to browse and to pick up bulky items that we didn't want to bother packing to bring along from home.

If your elderly relative has trouble walking up sloping ramps (and is not the stubborn, independent type), it may be helpful to request a wheelchair. They are provided free of charge for embarkation and disembarkation to any passenger who needs one.

Unfortunately, our experience with our own relatives has been that the very people who would benefit most from using a wheelchair, whether at airports or cruise ports, are the ones who refuse to use one, insisting they are fine and don't need it.

It doesn't matter how hard they are huffing and puffing, or how badly they may be limping, or how many times they need to stop along the way to catch their breath. :D

Unfortunately, our experience with our own relatives has been that the very people who would benefit most from using a wheelchair, whether at airports or cruise ports, are the ones who refuse to use one, insisting they are fine and don't need it.

It doesn't matter how hard they are huffing and puffing, or how badly they may be limping, or how many times they need to stop along the way to catch their breath. :D

Uncanny. It's as if you personally know my mother in law.