voltage boost 110 to 240

lancing2

Can anyone help us to find where to buy in England a voltage booster. We loose so much power when we plug in our english appliances. Most of the cruise lines use 110. I saw one on amazon but it got a very bad write up and our local maplin has

run out.

Laraine

Can anyone help us to find where to buy in England a voltage booster. We loose so much power when we plug in our english appliances. Most of the cruise lines use 110. I saw one on amazon but it got a very bad write up and our local maplin has

run out.

Laraine

Have you tried Ebay or Google?

Have you tried another store? A hardware or electrician's shop?

IIRC most Princess cabins have 220 somewhere in the cabin. Under the bed, perhaps?

Edited by SadieN

run out.

Laraine

On grand class ships, the nightstand lights are 220, if that help you...

Hi

On my last cruise mrs shogun, using a hair dryer which had a switch allowing it to drop voltage to 110v, however it drew enough power to started to melt the electric socket, so I would be concerned about trying to step up, do what many do and just buy something which is designed to run at 110v and use it on vacation

yours Shogun

I remember someone had said a 220V outlet was behind the bed next to the night stand on Grand class ships. Anyone ever looked?
One nightstand is fixed and that lamp is hard wired but the other is portable to allow beds to be set up as queen or twin. The lamp for that nightstand is plugged into a European, not English, style 220V receptacle on the wall at the head of the bed.

Hi

On my last cruise mrs shogun, using a hair dryer which had a switch allowing it to drop voltage to 110v, however it drew enough power to started to melt the electric socket, so I would be concerned about trying to step up, do what many do and just buy something which is designed to run at 110v and use it on vacation

yours Shogun

Sounds like a poorly designed appliance that did not properly limit current draw when switched to 120V. DW has a 120V/220V hairdryer that we bought in the U.S. and it works just fine on 120V power.

Every appliance and electronic gadget I own is dual voltage so all I've needed for the last 10-15 years has been a plug adapter. Hair dryers (which I don't bring), curling iron, camera, phone, etc. are all dual voltage and work fine whether plugged into 110/120 or 210/220.

The outlet in the bathroom is dual voltage but can only be used for low voltage items such as razors. Anything drawing more power will trip the circuits for your cabin and those around you.

Every appliance and electronic gadget I own is dual voltage so all I've needed for the last 10-15 years has been a plug adapter. Hair dryers (which I don't bring), curling iron, camera, phone, etc. are all dual voltage and work fine whether plugged into 110/120 or 210/220.

The outlet in the bathroom is dual voltage but can only be used for low voltage items such as razors. Anything drawing more power will trip the circuits for your cabin and those around you.

What I think you mean, Pam, is low wattage appliances.

Sounds like a poorly designed appliance that did not properly limit current draw when switched to 120V. DW has a 120V/220V hairdryer that we bought in the U.S. and it works just fine on 120V power.

Not necessarily. When you halve the voltage for a given wattage appliance, you double the amperage. You will note that shogun didn't mention that the dryer was melting, so it was within its design current. The problem was with the ship's outlet. The current the dryer was designed to draw at low voltage could have been more than the outlet was designed for, or given the abuse these outlets get having all kinds of adapters shoved into them, the plug may have been loose and the high current draw over the high resistance of a loose plug can easily result in overheating.

Not necessarily. When you halve the voltage for a given wattage appliance, you double the amperage. You will note that shogun didn't mention that the dryer was melting, so it was within its design current. The problem was with the ship's outlet. The current the dryer was designed to draw at low voltage could have been more than the outlet was designed for, or given the abuse these outlets get having all kinds of adapters shoved into them, the plug may have been loose and the high current draw over the high resistance of a loose plug can easily result in overheating.

Hey Cheng, will these "voltage boosters" work with the ship power like they do with normal shore hot/neutral?

Sure. They are just step up transformers. The travel voltage converters sold in the US are step down transformers.

Yup - they step up the voltage and draw double current from the outlet than what the appliance draws (plus a little bit for losses in the transformer). If you buy a step-up transformer make sure it is rated for what you are plugging into it. Would NOT recommend plugging a hair dryer into something like this but should work fine for any computer gear or chargers. Of course most chargers these days will work on any voltage - you just need the plug adapter.

Not sure what appliances you could take on a cruise that would have a problem, since Princess bans stuff like kettles, irons and steamers on most cruises.

Edited by LeeW
more

Hi

..... do what many do and just buy something which is designed to run at 110v and use it on vacation

yours Shogun

We did the same in reverse. Rachel bought hair equipment in Venice that had European plug, then got a UK adapter, and I bought phone chargers and computer cables for both European and UK usage. Really simplified things, and they work like they should for a rather small investment.

The power blocks for laptops and such are multiple voltage. All you need is the different cable, not a new power supply, and it works both ways.

You very well may be right. However, there apparently was some part of the circuit that couldn't handle the current.

One nightstand is fixed and that lamp is hard wired but the other is portable to allow beds to be set up as queen or twin. The lamp for that nightstand is plugged into a European, not English, style 220V receptacle on the wall at the head of the bed.

Often both night stands move.

This is the adapter I used on emerald:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A17I1VW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Yup - they step up the voltage and draw double current from the outlet than what the appliance draws (plus a little bit for losses in the transformer). If you buy a step-up transformer make sure it is rated for what you are plugging into it. Would NOT recommend plugging a hair dryer into something like this but should work fine for any computer gear or chargers. Of course most chargers these days will work on any voltage - you just need the plug adapter.

Not sure what appliances you could take on a cruise that would have a problem, since Princess bans stuff like kettles, irons and steamers on most cruises.

There are 50 watt transformers for electronics and 2000 watt ones for hair dryers, etc. Many hair dryers draw far more current than steamers and kettles, and even irons. The ban on those items is because of the heating element and fire, not fire from excessive current draw.