Navigator, Galveston and Drink Packages

This question was just weird enough where I figured I needed some expert opinions.

Thanks to the wacky Texas liquor laws, we've established that the drink selection on Navigator is limited until the ship hits international waters.

DW remains on the fence about committing to the Premium Package. As the first day stands to be a little narrower in variety due to the prior paragraph, can anyone confirm if you can purchase a drink package aboard on Day #2?

Yeah, on one hand it's pretty nit-picky if you're even thinking of laying out the $xxx for the package, but on the other is it $xx a day and that first day could end up pretty restricted.

but I said I'd ask, and so I have. Any advice??

As long as the cruise is 5 days or longer, you can purchase on day 2. You must do this onboard, partial drink packages cannot be purchased via Royal's website.

This looks like the answer we were looking for.

Those limitations are going to happen any time the ship is near a US port.

Far as the any US port availability goes, there were no such drink issues leaving New Orleans on Serenade, and we didn't hit International waters until nearly midnight. Of course, we are talking about a state with drive-through Daiquiri stands....

And while on Indy in Ft. Lauderdale, there was no problem getting whatever while still in port. There was something called a Detroit River Water that used a vast array of ingredients.

For Texas, the big weird is as far as we've been told Texas mandates the use of Texas-tax-stamped liquor until they hit Int'l waters. So the selection is limited to Texas-bought hooch until then, even found that true in the CL. Of course, we are talking about a state where they tax the duty-free liquor you bought...

... For Texas, the big weird is as far as we've been told Texas mandates the use of Texas-tax-stamped liquor until they hit Int'l waters. So the selection is limited to Texas-bought hooch until then, even found that true in the CL. Of course, we are talking about a state where they tax the duty-free liquor you bought...

Some info from Navigator sailing out of Galveston:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45457488&postcount=4

This question was just weird enough where I figured I needed some expert opinions.

Thanks to the wacky Texas liquor laws, we've established that the drink selection on Navigator is limited until the ship hits international waters.

DW remains on the fence about committing to the Premium Package. As the first day stands to be a little narrower in variety due to the prior paragraph, can anyone confirm if you can purchase a drink package aboard on Day #2?

Yeah, on one hand it's pretty nit-picky if you're even thinking of laying out the $xxx for the package, but on the other is it $xx a day and that first day could end up pretty restricted.

but I said I'd ask, and so I have. Any advice??

the restriction ends at or around dinner time. so unless you plan to board and immediately get plastered on the good stuff you are not losing out on much whatsoever.

but yes you can buy at any time as long as at least 4 days remain on the cruise.

Those limitations are going to happen any time the ship is near a US port. You're not paying per day, you're really paying per night.

Once the ship sets sail and gets into so-called international waters, the alcohol selection is opened up. If you wait until day 2, you miss out on night 1.

I personally don't drink unless it's a special occasion or someone is paying for it, but one of my cruise partners is a big drinker and he always gets a plan on day 1 and the moment the ship is out of US waters, he's got the waiter bringing him his first round of many. I think he would be disappointed waiting until day 2!

This is not true at all. Have never had an issue in any of the US ports we have sailed from, all alcohol has always been available. Galveston is the only port I have ever heard has a restriction.

Those limitations are going to happen any time the ship is near a US port. not exactly. TX law says only TX stamped booze can be served. You can get Jim Beam but not Jack Daniel's for instance until she is far enough out You're not paying per day, you're really paying per night.

Once the ship sets sail and gets into so-called international waters, the alcohol selection is opened up. If you wait until day 2, you miss out on night 1.

on all other itineraries that depart US ports this restriction is not in place. the number of bars OPEN may be limited until you get out into open water but not what is allowed to be served.

on NAV( and soon LIB) the list is on the short side( one red one white the aforementioned JB etc) and only one or 2 bars will be open until she gets out far enough but as soon as that happens you can easily be ordering the good stuff NLT 7 pm.

I just got off of the Navigator and did the Premium Package. While in Galveston port selection was limited but NOT as much as I thought it would be. I had heard that only beers not distributed by Texas beer distributors was available (such as Heineken) but that wasn't the case, they had Miller Lt, Coors Light, Bud, etc.). I then heard that I would be charged tax on those beers, also not the case as I saw no charges for tax. Most of the restrictions I saw were around liquor and mixed drinks. They pretty much limited us to a menu of mixed drinks but it covered all the bases, pina colada, margarita, etc. The largest pain was that not all of the bars were open until we hit international waters which meant it was difficult to get a drink, especially pool side.

I bought my package as soon as I got on board. We went to the Windjammer to eat and they had a table set up at the entrance. I don't know if they do partial packages but it comes down to if you want to drink day one. At about $10 per drink and up it doesn't take much to cover the daily drink package price.

As long as the cruise is 5 days or longer, you can purchase on day 2. You must do this onboard, partial drink packages cannot be purchased via Royal's website.

Just off the Navigator and we had until day 4 to purchase drink package. Since our itinerary had our ports up front and our sea days at the end, we waited and made use of the pro-rated Premium package. Worked out excellent for us!!