Remember the Harpists?

Logos11

It is excellent news that Azamara have listened to customers and abandoned the idea of doing away with the open dining area at the stern. However it is a great pity they didn't listen to the multiple complaints and pleas to retain the harpists on both ships. They were a delight, especially before dinner, and seemed to sum up the quiet elegance which is Azamara. Somehow, while still very good, the ships seem to have lost a vital essence which perfected the brand! Could we not renew the plea?

Did I ever think that I would have a chance to hold a harp (surprisingly heavy) and pluck the strings? That chance came on an Azamara cruise several years ago, courtesy of Mary Amanda. Not only did she play classical music and jazz beautifully, she also gave a small concert one afternoon and invited the audience members to come up afterward and see what it was like to hold a harp and pluck the strings.

I may not remember the ports on that cruise, but I remember how personable and approachable Mary Amanda was. She made the cruise special. She is missed.

Did I ever think that I would have a chance to hold a harp (surprisingly heavy) and pluck the strings? That chance came on an Azamara cruise several years ago, courtesy of Mary Amanda. Not only did she play classical music and jazz beautifully, she also gave a small concert one afternoon and invited the audience members to come up afterward and see what it was like to hold a harp and pluck the strings.

I may not remember the ports on that cruise, but I remember how personable and approachable Mary Amanda was. She made the cruise special. She is missed.

We agree.

It is excellent news that Azamara have listened to customers and abandoned the idea of doing away with the open dining area at the stern. However it is a great pity they didn't listen to the multiple complaints and pleas to retain the harpists on both ships. They were a delight, especially before dinner, and seemed to sum up the quiet elegance which is Azamara. Somehow, while still very good, the ships seem to have lost a vital essence which perfected the brand! Could we not renew the plea?

I agree completely: "seemed to sum up the quiet elegance which is Azamara." When she played from the little lounge space outside the MDR, she introduced a classy, civilized tone for the dining experience and I loved it.

Funny how we are all different. Although I studied classical music for a while and I really appreciate the sounds of a harp, it really did not add to. My cruising experience. I love the company of Mary Amanda and Jacqueline as people but I think it was the right change to make.

Funny how we are all different. Although I studied classical music for a while and I really appreciate the sounds of a harp, it really did not add to. My cruising experience. I love the company of Mary Amanda and Jacqueline as people but I think it was the right change to make.

Agree. And I think it's overdue that we get over this and move on.

Found the harp music very soothing and the harpists were very pleasant people but I think this ship has sailed. Excuse the pun.

For me, it is much more pleasing that Azamara has dropped plans for Kibo and that we can continue to enjoy dinner at the Sunset Bar if we wish and I am very grateful for that.

But as UKtog says we are all different and have different priorities.

Having recently disembarked from the Journey, whilst on board we were told that the choice was between having a harpist or having a concierge because there were insufficient berths in the crew quarters for both.

The Management decision was to opt for a concierge - so bye bye harpists!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• 1 month later...

Mary Amanda was on our Celebrity Alaska cruise this past September. She was entertaining, but not playing the harp. Her talks were fantastic and her husband's talks on nature truly the highlight of our trip.

We are on the Miami to Nice TA in April.

Diane