My badges of "Shame"

Dajo5601

Just returned from another fantastic cruise on the Queen Elizabeth, couldn't fault anything, from very speedy embarkation, service, food, excellent staff and entertainment. All in all, just what we have come to expect from Cunard and we weren't disappointed.

HOWEVER, during the two weeks, I decided to award some "Badges of Shame" (obviously just mentally) to the following:

- to the man who washed his hands, yes washed them, under the iced water dispenser in the buffet area.

- to the people who sat in one chair and used another chair as a footrest out on the sundecks

- to the people who photograph or record shows in the theatre with their mobile phone screen illuminated

There you are, I feel better already, little things I know, but when everything else is so perfect, why a few selfish and thoughtless individuals feel they can act as they do, I'll never know.

David

Just returned from another fantastic cruise on the Queen Elizabeth, couldn't fault anything, from very speedy embarkation, service, food, excellent staff and entertainment. All in all, just what we have come to expect from Cunard and we weren't disappointed.

HOWEVER, during the two weeks, I decided to award some "Badges of Shame" (obviously just mentally) to the following:

- to the man who washed his hands, yes washed them, under the iced water dispenser in the buffet area.

- to the people who sat in one chair and used another chair as a footrest out on the sundecks

- to the people who photograph or record shows in the theatre with their mobile phone screen illuminated

There you are, I feel better already, little things I know, but when everything else is so perfect, why a few selfish and thoughtless individuals feel they can act as they do, I'll never know. David

Hi Dajo5601,

Well said (:mad:).

Sadly there are selfish, thoughtless idiots everywhere, not just on cruise ships.

The rules of common decency, behaviour, courtesy and respect for the people around them don't apply, they are far too special. Politeness is for others.

And if you remonstrate with them, suddenly it's your fault and "none of your business, who do you think you are?"

Maybe I'm getting old, but the sort of thing you describe seems to be on the increase.

Very pleased to read that, the above excepted, you had such a great time on board the wonderful QE (I've a friend on board at the moment, cruise around the Med. First night one of his table-mates had far too much vino-de-plonko with dinner and ended up almost shouting her political views to the rest of the table. After she staggered away the remainder of the table decided they will seek other tables if she continues night after night).

Happy sailings for the future :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Dajo5601,

Well said (:mad:).

Sadly there are selfish, thoughtless idiots everywhere, not just on cruise ships.

The rules of common decency, behaviour, courtesy and respect for the people around them don't apply, they are far too special. Politeness is for others.

And if you remonstrate with them, suddenly it's your fault and "none of your business, who do you think you are?"

Maybe I'm getting old, but the sort of thing you describe seems to be on the increase.

Very pleased to read that, the above excepted, you had such a great time on board the wonderful QE (I've a friend on board at the moment, cruise around the Med. First night one of his table-mates had far too much vino-de-plonko with dinner and ended up almost shouting her political views to the rest of the table. After she staggered away the remainder of the table decided they will seek other tables if she continues night after night).

Happy sailings for the future :)

We're all getting older, but I won't say "old." This sort if thing IS on the increase. People are becoming so self-centered that they're entirely unaware of other people.

I read something recently about the new generation of narcissists. In the US we call them the "trophy generation," kids who got trophies for participating, even if they didn't win. Everyone is a winner, everyone is special. There was a trend in parenting to compliment kids generally (You are perfect, you are wonderful) rather than praising specific accomplishments. (You played well today. Congratulations on the A on your book report) So they grew up thinking they were special and they didn't have to do anything special because they were so special they were better than anyone else. And now, companies in the US pitch ads toward this generation with "It's all about you."

OK, rant over.

David, I'm glad the rest of the cruise was good and that Cunard took good care of you.

We're all getting older, but I won't say "old." This sort if thing IS on the increase. People are becoming so self-centered that they're entirely unaware of other people.

I read something recently about the new generation of narcissists. In the US we call them the "trophy generation," kids who got trophies for participating, even if they didn't win. Everyone is a winner, everyone is special. There was a trend in parenting to compliment kids generally (You are perfect, you are wonderful) rather than praising specific accomplishments. (You played well today. Congratulations on the A on your book report) So they grew up thinking they were special and they didn't have to do anything special because they were so special they were better than anyone else. And now, companies in the US pitch ads toward this generation with "It's all about you."

OK, rant over.

David, I'm glad the rest of the cruise was good and that Cunard took good care of you.

'it's all about [me]' - sounds like a great title for a reality tv show or game show! Of course, in fitting with current trends, every contestant will win a prize.

some r

There you are, I feel better already, little things I know, but when everything else is so perfect, why a few selfish and thoughtless individuals feel they can act as they do, I'll never know.

David

You realize, I hope, that the fact you were on Cunard - which is noted for being a line which believes in standards - means that you were less likely to be exposed to the "it's my vacation, I'll do it my way" type of lout experienced elsewhere.

Try keeping a lookout for - and recording - that type on other, unnamed, lines: you would need a larger notebook.

You realize, I hope, that the fact you were on Cunard - which is noted for being a line which believes in standards - means that you were less likely to be exposed to the "it's my vacation, I'll do it my way" type of lout experienced elsewhere.

Try keeping a lookout for - and recording - that type on other, unnamed, lines: you would need a larger notebook.

Unfortunately, the "it's my cruise and I'll do it my way" is alive and well on the Cunard dress code threads......OMG! Literally from the sublime to the ridiculous.

And whilst we are at it :mad: ;) ........ What about those inconsiderable folk, some of my fellow guests who still insist in dumping unwanted 'half full mugs' of tea/coffee outside the door of their stateroom each afternoon, for others in mobility scooters or wheelchair users to knock over ! Never mind the mess it makes on those already badly stained carpets. And don't get me started on those who insist on taking up mugs of Tea from KC/Lido and slopping it on the lift carpets. :eek:

If you're gonna remove a mug from KC ..or require room service ... Leave your mug or tray in your room ! until the evening Turn Down service.

Edited by Bell Boy

And whilst we are at it ........ What about those inconsiderable folk, some of my fellow guests who still insist in dumping unwanted 'half full mugs' of tea/coffee outside the door of their stateroom each afternoon, for others in mobility scooters or wheelchair users to knock over ! Never mind the mess it makes on those already badly stained carpets. And don't get me started on those who insist on taking up mugs of Tea from KC/Lido and slopping it on the lift carpets. If you're gonna remove a mug from KC ..or require room service ... Leave your mug or tray in your room ! until the evening Turn Down service.
VERY well said.

Hello pepperrn.Please contact your friend and insist they take immediate action.Do not do what we did on Q516 in September and put up with the table problem for far too long.
Thanks. I'll try and find out the latest, and pass on your welcome advice.

(I offered, if none of them wanted to tell her themselves, to fly out and join the cruise at the next port, and suggest to her, very politely, that she may want to cut down on the falling-over-water, on their behalf. My fees for this this service are very reasonable (flight, spending money and exclusive use of a Q1 :D )). Thanks again.

I think it is the age we live in. I am at an age where I am always getting peed off with people as they are so rude these days and inconsiderate. I put a lot of it down to social media. Most younger people do not know how to communicate unless it is by text or FB. No one says thank you, or sends a thank you card. I have given presents to younger people and they never say thank you, or sent a thank you.

I first came across how rude and selfish cruisers had become on a world cruise on P&O in 2013. I had never encountered such rude people in over 35 years of cruising. Now it seems to be more common.

Maybe it is due to the fact cruises are cheaper. They attract a different type of passenger.

I also think TV in the Uk shows a lot of low life stuff. Not that I see it often as I do no live there, but manners no longer exist for many people. It is as someone said all about me, me, me.

I think it is the age we live in. I am at an age where I am always getting peed off with people as they are so rude these days and inconsiderate. I put a lot of it down to social media. Most younger people do not know how to communicate unless it is by text or FB. No one says thank you, or sends a thank you card. I have given presents to younger people and they never say thank you, or sent a thank you.

I first came across how rude and selfish cruisers had become on a world cruise on P&O in 2013. I had never encountered such rude people in over 35 years of cruising. Now it seems to be more common.

Maybe it is due to the fact cruises are cheaper. They attract a different type of passenger.

I also think TV in the Uk shows a lot of low life stuff. Not that I see it often as I do no live there, but manners no longer exist for many people. It is as someone said all about me, me, me.

Thank you for that comment! (bold is mine)

I grew up watching a kid's show called "Captain Kangaroo." He wasn't a roo, he had a jacket with big pockets full of stuff. Anyway, he always said that the magic words are "please" and "thank you." How long does it take to say "thank you" when someone holds a door for you? I always do. But I'd say less than half the time I hold a door or get out of someone's way do I hear "thank you." Sometimes I say "You're welcome," even if they haven't said thank you. Not that they notice.

I agree that the world of personal devices is part of it. And with that goes the egocentric selfies, blogs, facetweets, etc. I also agree about the TV. So many "reality" programs show that the way to succeed is to screw over someone else. I don't watch Survivor or Big Brother, but I've seen enough ads for them to know that the celebrate being mean to other people.

And while we're on the subject of people being in a world all their own, has anyone else noticed that people don't mingle at social events any more? It seems every organization we belong to had an event this month. I noticed that people form their own little groups and don't interact with strangers.

You see it on Cruise Critic, too. People say they want a table for 2 at dinner because "we don't want to be bothered with other people." How much of a bother is it to be nice to people? People are INTERESTING! Cunard passengers (mostly) seem to have social skills, but it seems to be a dying art.

We were on the same cruise, our first with Cunard. As frequent Princess cruisers, we were quite pleased with the overall QE experience. However, it was a bit startling to see a gentleman decked out in shorts, tank top, and flip flops "chowing down" in the Lido buffet well past 1830 one evening.:(

I loved the Captain Kangaroo show and his little sidekick Bunny Rabbit. Sadly manners are not evident all over anymore. This past year my leg and hip problems have necessitated my using a walker. Several weeks ago a lady with a grocery cart barged right into my walker and looked at me like I was the guilty party. She just kept going. Her husband was trailing behind and looked thoroughly embarrassed, and as he walked by he apologized. I sure hope if they had any kids they learned their manners from their father.

If you're gonna remove a mug from KC ..or require room service ... Leave your mug or tray in your room ! until the evening Turn Down service.

To be fair it is difficult to leave lunch trays in the cabin until turn down service. That can be over 8 hours from lunch time to second sitting. Room service state to leave it outside the room and someone will collect, which we do covered with the napkin.

I asked my steward on one cruise and his reply was to leave it in the corridor during the day, and it would be collected as the room service people delivered other trays. However, it should be left in the room overnight as there are fewer collections then.

Unfortunately, the "it's my cruise and I'll do it my way" is alive and well on the Cunard dress code threads......OMG! Literally from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Dress code threads on Black Tie evenings and can I take my jacket off as I am a bit hot; for goodness sake. I can remember in the MDR when ladies arrived at your table when all the gentlemen stood up! Try that on these newcomers.

Regards John

Dress code threads on Black Tie evenings and can I take my jacket off as I am a bit hot; for goodness sake. I can remember in the MDR when ladies arrived at your table when all the gentlemen stood up! Try that on these newcomers.

Regards John

One would always hope gentlemen stand for ladies arriving at the table.