A bit of information about what to expect when flying to Tahiti

Tahitianbigkahuna

What makes the food trucks "special" is that it is amazing to see them setting up every evening. Unlike here in the States in Tahiti each food truck sets out a dozen or more tables with up to 100 chairs. The food is decent, the quantity huge and the price is cheap when compared to purchasing food anywhere else.

What makes the food trucks "special" is that it is amazing to see them setting up every evening. Unlike here in the States in Tahiti each food truck sets out a dozen or more tables with up to 100 chairs. The food is decent, the quantity huge and the price is cheap when compared to purchasing food anywhere else.

Wow! That is a lot of work. I can't wait to experience this.

Do they set up everyday?

I have a question regarding the original topic of this thread.

Upon return from PPT to LAX, how many hours should I give ourselves before a connecting flight (not attached to the ATN flight, we would have to check back in probably at another terminal).

We do have Global Access but I haven't been to LAX in ages (and never international).

Is 2.5 hours cutting it way too close?

Upon return from PPT to LAX, how many hours should I give ourselves before a connecting flight (not attached to the ATN flight, we would have to check back in probably at another terminal).

We do have Global Access but I haven't been to LAX in ages (and never international).

We like to keep 3 to 4 hours. You will find Global access to be a real boon. It will also depend on how far apart your terminals are. ATN comes into Tom Bradley.

Once we were delayed in Tahiti for two hours.

What we tend to do is book a later flight and then try and get onto an earlier flight on stand by. You do have yo pay for the change usually but it's safer than booking with two small a window.

We like to keep 3 to 4 hours. You will find Global access to be a real boon. It will also depend on how far apart your terminals are. ATN comes into Tom Bradley.

Once we were delayed in Tahiti for two hours.

What we tend to do is book a later flight and then try and get onto an earlier flight on stand by. You do have yo pay for the change usually but it's safer than booking with two small a window.

What do you mean by "boon." about Global Access? It saved us big time a couple months ago in Miami returning from Belize, it was an absolute MADHOUSE!:eek: Well, it always is in Miami!

We most likely will take Southwest home, if I cannot talk my husband in staying the night. ;) I think it's terminal 1.

What do you mean by "boon." about Global Access? It saved us big time a couple months ago in Miami returning from Belize, it was an absolute MADHOUSE!:eek: Well, it always is in Miami!

We most likely will take Southwest home, if I cannot talk my husband in staying the night. ;) I think it's terminal 1.

Boon means advantage.

We got the global access because of our PG trips. Usually the ATN flights land at the same time as several flights from the Far East. As Canadians we had to stand in the line for Aliens and wait behind people who have to be finger printed and eye photographed. Once we got the Global Access it's smooth sailing. Along with TSA pre approved we just breeze through.

I know what you mean about Miami too!

• 4 weeks later...

Walking distance is a subjective statement depending on how well you can tolerate a walk in the heat, but I know Avis is not too far. PG staff arranged for Avis to pick up my wife and I at the dock and drive us a couple of blocks to their office. The other company is Hertz, but I don't know where they are located. Avis was higher, but included unlimited miles. Hertz was lower, but you had to pay for miles used.

Walking distance is a subjective statement depending on how well you can tolerate a walk in the heat, but I know Avis is not too far. PG staff arranged for Avis to pick up my wife and I at the dock and drive us a couple of blocks to their office. The other company is Hertz, but I don't know where they are located. Avis was higher, but included unlimited miles. Hertz was lower, but you had to pay for miles used.

Thank you. I'll try googling both

Recently returned to the U.S. (LAX) on Air Tahiti Nui. Plane from Papeete came in on time, and we had plenty of time to get from international terminal to where American Airlines flight to Charlotte took off. There's a bunch of "stuff" you have to do (get to different terminal, I think get bags and go through immigration/Customs, then recheck them). However, even with a full ATN flight of (mostly) Americans and Canadians, the lines to get through everything moved pretty quickly. There are kiosks at LAX that helped speed things, and we don't even have Global Access, just TSA Pre-Check. Of course, we were on a charter flight and got in around midnight, so things may be worse during the day. Also, my husband had ordered a wheelchair in LAX, as his feet swell after long flights and he can't walk long distances without pain. We did ride on a cart part of the time, which may have meant it took us less time to connect than some people.

If you happen to get in after midnight and are going out on an American Airlines flight, I wouldn't wait to find food if you need it, as the terminal where our connecting flight left was pretty much shutting down by 12:30 or so. We managed to get a $14 sandwich to go from a little sit-down restaurant, but if we had waited much longer, they would have been closed completely. Air Tahiti food was not the best, especially the snack they gave us late at night, so I was hungry when I got in to LAX.

I wouldn't worry about 2.5 hours to connect. Should be fine unless the plane is quite late getting in. Assume you don't need wheelchair/cart assistance, but if you do, we found LAX to be quite efficient in that regard. Never had to wait long, and didn't have to be passed off from one person to another like in some airports. Of course, as I said, it was the middle of the night, so things could be different in peak hours.

Edited by roothy123

I'm fairly positive that I'm correct here, but I've never had to catch an early flight right after the cruise:

The PG comes back into Papeete from Moorea the night before debarkation. That means that I can safely book an early morning flight that leaves at 9, and get off the ship at 5 or 6 the next morning, right?

Guess I'm getting paranoid in my old age, having done this route 5 times you'd think I'd be sure. Air France only flies on certain days, and last time, we had to stay overnight. This time our cruise ends on a Wednesday which is the same data as the AF flight back to LAX.

I'm fairly positive that I'm correct here, but I've never had to catch an early flight right after the cruise:

The PG comes back into Papeete from Moorea the night before debarkation. That means that I can safely book an early morning flight that leaves at 9, and get off the ship at 5 or 6 the next morning, right?

Guess I'm getting paranoid in my old age, having done this route 5 times you'd think I'd be sure. Air France only flies on certain days, and last time, we had to stay overnight. This time our cruise ends on a Wednesday which is the same data as the AF flight back to LAX.

Wendy, on the repeaters Chiara left Friday night as soon as the ship hit Papeete. So of course you won't have a problem flying out Saturday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ruth,

Good stuff as always. Enjoy your pics!

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

We'll be in Tahiti Bora Apr 5th for 12 days.

Skipping Vik 2017 for Tauck AUS/NZ might book Vik in 2018 for their new CDN/US and Carib or Miss River cruises.

Good information also from our journey together on the Star 2015.

Safe Journeys and Good Health

Bob & Margie

Hi Ruth,

Good stuff as always. Enjoy your pics!

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

We'll be in Tahiti Bora Apr 5th for 12 days.

Skipping Vik 2017 for Tauck AUS/NZ might book Vik in 2018 for their new CDN/US and Carib or Miss River cruises.

Good information also from our journey together on the Star 2015.

Safe Journeys and Good Health

Bob & Margie

Hi Bob & Margie; good to hear from you! Enjoy Tahiti Bora Bora; we certainly did. It was a pretty unusual cruise with lots of sea days; maybe just flying to one place makes more sense, but Howard dearly loves cruising and the French Polynesia had been on his bucket list for a long time, so we went. Aus/NZ is also on our bucket list and hopefully we'll get there in the next few years. With the long trip back from Papeete at least we've kind of worked our way up to tolerating long times in the air. You'll have to let me know how your trip goes next year. We have talked a lot about going but not sure how/when/how long to do it.

I'd love to go back on Viking Star or one of the new ships; was a fabulous cruise. Also nice to hear there will be river cruises on the Mississippi eventually. I think there's a paddleboat that goes, but we've never all that interested in it. Pricey, too, as it's small.

Safe journeys and good health back at you!

Ruth (and Howard)

• 1 month later...
Your welcome, feel free to ask me anything. There are a few on here that know the PG a bit better than myself though this will be my 5th trip on the PG. however, I've been to French Polynesia 20 times so I know many of the islands well

In your opinion, what is the best time of year to consider planning a PG French Polynesia cruise? Taking into consideration weather, rainy season and potential cyclones.

Thanks

We are currently on our 4th day of 12 days in Bora Bora & Moorea. Our first trip and we find the weather just wonderful. 90 to 81 degrees with warm breezes and occasional warm showers. We flew in and will fly return to LAX/SEA The blues of the water are like no other place we've seen:).

We are currently on our 4th day of 12 days in Bora Bora & Moorea. Our first trip and we find the weather just wonderful. 90 to 81 degrees with warm breezes and occasional warm showers. We flew in and will fly return to LAX/SEA The blues of the water are like no other place we've seen:).

bcorre2,

Thanks for your response. Glad to hear you are having great weather and a wonderful cruise. Bora Bora is spectacular and truly does have water like no other location we have visited ever. What cruise ship are you on if you don't mind me asking?

WE have been to FP once back in 2014, early April like you are currently on and had great weather then. We are considering a Fall 2017 repeat visit to FP but were concerned about the weather conditions at that time. Hence why I was trying to get the opinion of others who have been there many times previously and maybe at months of the year other then April. I certainly don't want to risk going in the rainy season or at times when the water is not as nice as we know it to be in April.

Enjoy your trip to such a beautiful destination!! :)

• 1 month later...
In your opinion, what is the best time of year to consider planning a PG French Polynesia cruise? Taking into consideration weather, rainy season and potential cyclones.

Thanks

If you have the freedom to choose I would say September or October. You can get the best of both, weather is usually good and the fares are moderate.

Keep in mind a bad day in FP is better than most good days back home. Yes the weather might be a tad better in September - October and yes the rates might be lower than June - August but I've gone many times in November and December, had great times ;)

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

If you have the freedom to choose I would say September or October. You can get the best of both, weather is usually good and the fares are moderate.

Keep in mind a bad day in FP is better than most good days back home. Yes the weather might be a tad better in September - October and yes the rates might be lower than June - August but I've gone many times in November and December, had great times ;)

I have been in FP December, January, February, April, September and October. The latter two were the nicest and you get whales too!