Prague and Money

MeMe4A&J

We will be in Prague for two nights post Viking River Cruise. Should we order currency from our bank or use ATM (are they easy to find)? We will be staying at LeMeridian. (Also will just be guessing how much meals will be.):confused:

Does anyone know Bank of America's "Sister Bank"?

Thanks!

We will be in Prague for two nights post Viking River Cruise. Should we order currency from our bank or use ATM (are they easy to find)? We will be staying at LeMeridian. (Also will just be guessing how much meals will be.):confused:

Does anyone know Bank of America's "Sister Bank"? Thanks!

There's a good chance there will be an ATM at the hotel. If not, we found no shortage of ATM's in Prague! One thing to be mindful of: some of them will only spit out larger (50) bills. Either get cash right away and spend it or look for an open bank where you can change them for smaller bills. I don't think it matters if it's a BA bank as long as they're n your network....ask at your bank for the most accurate information. As for meal prices, I don't remember them being overly cheap or overly expensive...I used my Cap One card to pay for all restaurant meals. You're gonna love Prague!!!

I bought the new (2016) Rick Steves Prague book for $20 though Amazon so I could read everything and bookmark it. Sometimes, there is nothing like holding the paper book in your hand. ;)

It is well worth the cost because he has lots of tips on eating "Off the Beaten Path" where the Locals eat - cheaper and better food.

As well, he has lots of walking tours that are easy to follow and also entertainment. For instance, he gives a website that has dinner, traditional dancing, and will pick us up from our Sheraton Charles Bridge Hotel. We will do this our first night before we take the included Viking tour the next day. :D

I can hardly wait (one month from now) to see the largest castle in Europe that was undamaged in the wars. I love the Rick Steves website and just bought a new backpack because it was on sale.

I am just about to order my Euros and Czech Crowns from Citibank because I want smaller bills and don't want to spend my valuable vacation time wandering around trying to find a bank or ATM. I will pay my small bill on the Viking Var with my credit card. :D

I called Verizon this morning and got a quote of $30 for a Data Plan for Germany & Czech Republic for our 13 days. Seems reasonable. ;)

I am just about to order my Euros and Czech Crowns from Citibank because I want smaller bills and don't want to spend my valuable vacation time wandering around trying to find a bank or ATM. I will pay my small bill on the Viking Var with my credit card. :D

I called Verizon this morning and got a quote of $30 for a Data Plan for Germany & Czech Republic for our 13 days. Seems reasonable. ;)

Just one note of caution: If Verizon quoted you pricing and data limits for a month-long plan (which is what they normally do), be cautious before terminating it early (i.e., after your 13 day trip). When you cancel, your cost will be pro-rated, but so will your data allotment. Be certain you've not gone over the pro-rated data amount for 13 days worth. If you have, you may find that paying for $13 days worth plus overage charges exceeds what you would have paid for the month.

Edited by bubbulz

ATM tip: When withdrawing money, try to avoid getting a round number (100 or multiple). If you select some "odd" number, within the parameters of the machine, you will be sure to get at least some smaller denomination bills.

For example, instead of getting 300 Euros, see if the machine will give you 290. If so, you will have to get something smaller than a 50.

ATM tip: When withdrawing money, try to avoid getting a round number (100 or multiple). If you select some "odd" number, within the parameters of the machine, you will be sure to get at least some smaller denomination bills.

For example, instead of getting 300 Euros, see if the machine will give you 290. If so, you will have to get something smaller than a 50.

In a perfect world that would work everywhere...unfortunately in Prague when we tried to do that we just got rounded down to the next whole.....DH asked for 240 Koruna and we got 200! Apparently the machine only stocked 50 Koruna! Yes, we did try more than one, same thing happened, so we took 200 Koruna into the bank and they broke the 50's for us. Another really good suggestion from a fellow CC poster: Take your big bills into a local supermarket, but something like bottled water or bag of cookies and pay for it with 50 Koruna...they will give you change!

In a perfect world that would work everywhere...unfortunately in Prague when we tried to do that we just got rounded down to the next whole.....DH asked for 240 Koruna and we got 200! Apparently the machine only stocked 50 Koruna! Yes, we did try more than one, same thing happened, so we took 200 Koruna into the bank and they broke the 50's for us. Another really good suggestion from a fellow CC poster: Take your big bills into a local supermarket, but something like bottled water or bag of cookies and pay for it with 50 Koruna...they will give you change!

I thought 50 koruna was only about $2 . . . decimal placement?

I thought 50 koruna was only about $2 . . . decimal placement?

I'm confused....but look at the time! When we went to the ATM in Prague we asked for 200 Korona and it gave it to us in 50K bills. When we asked for 240 Korona, thinking we would get 4 large (50) and 2 small (20) Koronas...but we didn't...ATM gave us 4 50 Koronas instead leading us to believe that it only stocked 50 Korona bills. Does that make sense? :D:D)

The post I responded to really confused me and it looked like maybe you were off by a zero - 500 not 50. I thought the koruna is is exchanging 25 to $1 . . . I also thought 50 CZK is a coin and that doubly confused me.

Absolutely correct.

Coins: 1 Kč, 2 Kč, 5 Kč, 10 Kč, 20 Kč, 50 Kč

Banknotes: 100 Kč, 200 Kč, 500 Kč, 1000 Kč, 2000 Kč, 5000 Kč

The post I responded to really confused me and it looked like maybe you were off by a zero - 500 not 50. I thought the koruna is is exchanging 25 to $1 . . . I also thought 50 CZK is a coin and that doubly confused me.

Absolutely correct.

OK, I get what you're saying. Bottom line is in Prague several ATM's only spit out larger denomination bills. Thanks for making sense of my post.:D

Does anyone know Bank of America's "Sister Bank"?

Thanks!

LeMeridian has an ATM in the lobby, which works well if you have booked a Viking transfer and won't won't need currency until you get to the hotel.

Edited by Mackenzie1

We were in Prague last summer on a land trip and used our credit card or euros to pay for everything. When using euros, we received change in crowns so that gave us some smaller currency for water, tips, toilets, etc. It is a beautiful city - you will really enjoy your visit.

Thank you, I had no idea you could use Euros!

LeMeridian has an ATM in the lobby, which works well if you have booked a Viking transfer and won't won't need currency until you get to the hotel.

We do have a Viking transfer but were worried about being able to tip the driver:eek:

Thank you for the info!

The Euro is not the official currency and you will not get a good exchange rate from a vendor who accepts euros. I have seen ATMs that allow you select the the denomination of currency that you want. Perhaps someone else will know if this is the case in Prague.

To locate ATMs that are in you card providers network, to the website for your card provider and find the "Locations" section.

We had no problem getting smaller denominations from the Ceska Sporitelna ATMs and they were easy to find. Our first withdrawal was in the airport just before we met up with our pre arranged transfer to our hotel. I chose an odd amount and received the necessary denominations for the fare and tip. We did not have a problem with rounding up or down but perhaps I asked for an amount that was covered by the bills in the machine.

If you are concerned, go on over to the Prague forum on Trip advisor and ask for some advice regarding ATMs and smaller bills.

We stayed at the Old Town Hilton. The desk clerk there recommended a currency exchange place right around the corner from the hotel. Their exchange rates were fair and you could get any available denominations of coins/bills you wanted.

We stayed at the Old Town Hilton. The desk clerk there recommended a currency exchange place right around the corner from the hotel. Their exchange rates were fair and you could get any available denominations of coins/bills you wanted.

That's interesting because that's where we stayed too and the ATM on the corner kept spitting out big bills. No coins. So we took the bills and went into the bank to change them!

That's interesting because that's where we stayed too and the ATM on the corner kept spitting out big bills. No coins. So we took the bills and went into the bank to change them!

You are correct, ATMs don't give coins but I think that dan4182 went to a currency exchange not an ATM. While the exchange rate there may not be as good as an ATM, they are an option for someone who does not want to use an ATM. Just avoid the currency exchange booths in the airport. Their exchange rate is not at all favorable.