Cost for Single in cabin?

Matcodixon

We have a friend that is interesting in joining us for our Mexican Rivera cruise on the Crown in December. An inside is available and going for about $410 PP. Does anyone know how much more a single pays as a solo? I would assume that is it not double but somewhere in between, I appreciate your help with this. I have looked through the Princess website for any kind of answer without success.

We have a friend that is interesting in joining us for our Mexican Rivera cruise on the Crown in December. An inside is available and going for about $410 PP. Does anyone know how much more a single pays as a solo? I would assume that is it not double but somewhere in between, I appreciate your help with this. I have looked through the Princess website for any kind of answer without success.

The price is $894 for a single. Very easy to figure out. At the Princess site, change the number of guests from 2 to 1. ;)

I've found that it's generally between 150 - 170% of the base fare. It could be as much as 200%, depending on the category of the cabin and the length of the cruise.
It's rare to get 150% these days. It used to be that inside and OV were charged 150-180% but my last several cruises, it's been 200% even booking an OV.

Took a dear widower friend with us on our last cruise. Yes 200% of the gross fare less one set of port taxes.That's a bit of a rip off as Princess didn't have to feed the "missing" person ." Mind you she was happy with an inside on the same deck as us where we had an HC balcony(DW is wheelchair bound) cabin on Caribe, so she enjoyed sharing that with us for room service and relaxation. Hey Ho no pockets in shrouds. Enjoy life while you can. Every blessing.:)

It's rare to get 150% these days. It used to be that inside and OV were charged 150-180% but my last several cruises, it's been 200% even booking an OV.

I agree with Pam (who would ever dare disagree?) - it used to be about 165% for solos in insides or OVs but I haven't been able to find that since the beginning of this year - it seems to be 200%, take it or leave it.

And with the advent of the Royal class with no obstr OVs (my usual cabin choice, too claustrophobic for an inside) so that I'm forced to a balcony which I don't want, I'm increasingly leaving it.

Double less one lot of fees and taxes is not bad value really. Sure, Princess are getting money for food that isn't being eaten but they are missing out on sales of drinks, excursions, etc etc that would normally be made by the second person. Still makes for a great value for money holiday/vacation.

I've found that it's generally between 150 - 170% of the base fare. It could be as much as 200%, depending on the category of the cabin and the length of the cruise.

On a last minute cruise, it is almost always 200%.

Double less one lot of fees and taxes is not bad value really. Sure, Princess are getting money for food that isn't being eaten but they are missing out on sales of drinks, excursions, etc etc that would normally be made by the second person. Still makes for a great value for money holiday/vacation.

Really? I can't say I agree to calling 200% solo fares a "great value"

On one cruise several years ago, he got his rate at 160% for an ocean view cabin. I booked closer to sailing and got my rate at 200%. Our cabins were right next to each other. We both paid the same price. From the time he booked and I booked, the prices went down and it evened out.

So don't look at the percent, look at the whole price.

Maybe he just meant cruising in general is a great value. (Maybe since the OP got his straightforward answer to his simple question, we should close this thread. Some people think adding additional information is rude.)

Maybe he just meant cruising in general is a great value. (Maybe since the OP got his straightforward answer to his simple question, we should close this thread. Some people think adding additional information is rude.)

Get a grip-- that wasn't what I said. NOT answering the question after it was answered by telling me where to find it myself WAS rude-- if you want to answer it, go for it. I always appreciate people who take the time to ACTUALLY answer a question.

Seeing as we are quoting each other. Yes, I do find cruising to be "great value" and as I travel solo, YES! I do find it "great value" even though I'm paying for 2 people when there's only one of me. I can't get a vacation anywhere else that is pretty much all inclusive, taking me to multiple countries for the sort of money I pay to cruise. The thing is, you don't have to agree, I'm allowed an opinion, and as a solo traveler this is exactly the sort of thread where I will share it.

Seeing as we are quoting each other. Yes, I do find cruising to be "great value" and as I travel solo, YES! I do find it "great value" even though I'm paying for 2 people when there's only one of me. I can't get a vacation anywhere else that is pretty much all inclusive, taking me to multiple countries for the sort of money I pay to cruise. The thing is, you don't have to agree, I'm allowed an opinion, and as a solo traveler this is exactly the sort of thread where I will share it.

You are allowed an opinion. I have a differing opinion, which is also allowed.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I was hoping for something like 150% but it seems that is very unlikely. I do certainly understand that the likelihood is greatly reduced if the cruise is looking like it will be a sell out.

Dixon:cool:

You are allowed an opinion. I have a differing opinion, which is also allowed.

Well, you know what they say about opinions. LOL. :D Dixon, has your friend looked into booking through a discount TA? I understand they exist and can help a little with solo cruisers.

It's double the fare, plus one set of fees/taxes. And if that price you quote is a Flash Fare, then singles do 't usually get that rate either.

If I book Princess in UK its usually 200% and always TWO lots of taxes. But only ONE lot of taxes if I book the same cabin on the same cruise through the US website or agent.

Sometimes its worth booking through UK if there is an appreciable favorable price difference. But not often.

On one cruise several years ago, he got his rate at 160% for an ocean view cabin. I booked closer to sailing and got my rate at 200%. Our cabins were right next to each other. We both paid the same price. From the time he booked and I booked, the prices went down and it evened out.

So don't look at the percent, look at the whole price.

Exactly! I have said this before--I would rather pay 200% of a $1000 fare as a solo than 150% of a $2000 fare. I have also followed prices for cruises and seen single supplement % increase as fares dropped :rolleyes:.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78