So which older ship is NOT getting a makeover?

cwistyred

Good evening everyone,

According to the USA today article speaking with Mr. De Rio

Still, it's not just Norwegian's new ships that are getting Del Rio's attention. He says he's pouring money into the line's 10 oldest vessels over the next two years to upgrade them to a level he says will be even better than when they debuted. Already, the line's five-year-old Norwegian Epic has emerged from a massive makeover as has the eight-year-old Norwegian Gem.

Over 2016 and 2017, all but one of Norwegian's 10 oldest vessels will undergo a major overhaul in dry dock, Del Rio says. He throws around numbers like $50 million in upgrades per ship, which is several times the amount that some of Norwegian's competitors spend on overhauls

So.......which ship does everyone think will be left out or does someone know which ship will not get the upgrades in the next two years? Am I just behind on the news?

Re-read what FDR said:

"Over 2016 and 2017, all but one of Norwegian's 10 oldest vessels will undergo a major overhaul in dry dock"

He did not say that one of the 10 oldest vessels would not be overhauled, he said that OVER 2016 AND 2017 all but one would be overhauled. The reason for that statement is that one of the 10 oldest vessels (Norwegian Gem) has already been overhauled....so it won't be overhauled again during 2016 and 2017.

If the rumors about removing the Sun's observation lounge are true, that makes me very sad :(

I've sailed the Sun three times, and the Observation Lounge is one of my favorite places (along with the Great Outdoors and Las Ramblas). I sailed the Dawn, and I missed having a forward observation area with a relaxing vibe.

It would be better to stretch her, expanding that nice pool deck, and adding suites in the middle - I'm thinking like Royal's Enchantment of the Sea.

A girl can dream :rolleyes:

If the rumors about removing the Sun's observation lounge are true, that makes me very sad :(

I've sailed the Sun three times, and the Observation Lounge is one of my favorite places (along with the Great Outdoors and Las Ramblas). I sailed the Dawn, and I missed having a forward observation area with a relaxing vibe.

It would be better to stretch her, expanding that nice pool deck, and adding suites in the middle - I'm thinking like Royal's Enchantment of the Sea.

With the exception of MSC's soon to be completed "Renaissance Program" for their Lirica Class ships, lengthening has mostly fallen out of favor amongst major cruise lines. NCL had several ships, Norwegian Dream and Norwegian Wind, that experienced significant technical and structural issues after being lengthened. Enchantment of the Seas also developed extensive cracking around the added section, which is one of the reasons why RCI scrapped their plans to lengthen other Vision Class ships.

Agree - but who are we just the customers who don't get listened to !

So what is NCL going to do with the Observation Lounge on the SUN ?

Probably make a dozen more suites with less than realistic human features !

The space is not there! Make a half dozen suites ? In any event taking away

the outside Observation deck from the public is a travesty to the nth degree !

Talk about a ship with a persona non grata reputation it will soon be that way !

Wake up you ........s there is nothing broken about this ship and nothing that

needs fixen refurbishing or the alike !

But like I commented at the start who are we just the customers who never

get listened to !

He should plough in more money on the crew level and up the service standards rather than gut the observation lounge on the SUN.

I agree. Says he is going to upgrade the food too, but if they are short staffed and your food comes out luke warm or cold it doesn't matter to me how upgraded it is. It will still not taste as good as if it were hot.

Also if FDR and his crew is going to continue to offer the UBP get some additional bartenders. Have been reading about very long waits for drinks because only 2 bartenders at certain bars and long lines. I don't want to go on vacation and wait in lines all day for drinks.

Bill

Yes. Please share which ship will not have changes, so we can book that vessel.

We are getting frustrated will all the vessel alterations and $$$ changes too.

Argh. Guess it's the sign of the times. We are not sure if we agree yet.

We will stay tuned and follow as always.

:cool:

Re-read what FDR said:

"Over 2016 and 2017, all but one of Norwegian's 10 oldest vessels will undergo a major overhaul in dry dock"

He did not say that one of the 10 oldest vessels would not be overhauled, he said that OVER 2016 AND 2017 all but one would be overhauled. The reason for that statement is that one of the 10 oldest vessels (Norwegian Gem) has already been overhauled....so it won't be overhauled again during 2016 and 2017.

I thought the Gem dry dock is at the end of this month.......

I thought the Gem dry dock is at the end of this month.......

"Still, it's not just Norwegian's new ships that are getting Del Rio's attention. He says he's pouring money into the line's 10 oldest vessels over the next two years to upgrade them to a level he says will be even better than when they debuted. Already, the line's five-year-old Norwegian Epic has emerged from a massive makeover as has the eight-year-old Norwegian Gem. "

But the Sky doesn't have a bum azipod.

No pods, but Sky has many other issues. Some of them stem from several years of neglect during construction. She was originally ordered as Costa Olympia for Costa Cruises, but the shipyard filed for bankruptcy and Costa pulled out. Her half finished hull was allowed to deteriorate out in the elements for several years before NCL purchased and finished her at Lloyd Werft.

That experience definitely shortened her viable service life. Sky's always been a struggle, and it's likely she'd be the first to leave the fleet.

"Still, it's not just Norwegian's new ships that are getting Del Rio's attention. He says he's pouring money into the line's 10 oldest vessels over the next two years to upgrade them to a level he says will be even better than when they debuted. Already, the line's five-year-old Norwegian Epic has emerged from a massive makeover as has the eight-year-old Norwegian Gem. "

Gem going into dry dock end of month...

The NCL Gem had a makeover last november....but work was down on the ship while passengers were cruising....The major makeover with be the end of October for two weeks....work being done in Freeport bahamas...and resumes service on November 13, 2015....from what i heard a big makeover is being made to the Gem....

The NCL Gem had a makeover last november....but work was down on the ship while passengers were cruising....The major makeover with be the end of October for two weeks....work being done in Freeport bahamas...and resumes service on November 13, 2015....from what i heard a big makeover is being made to the Gem....

Yes...but since his point was that the Gem would NOT be upgraded in 2016 or 2017, I don't know how pointing out that work was or will be done in 2015 has any relevance.

Edited by SeaShark

I expect that the Spirit will eventually join the Bliss in Asia/Australia. The Bliss will replace the Star which will be retired. Pure speculation.

I have been saying for a long time that the Spirit will go to Australia to stay. I also think that the Star is just being used for these new Asia/Australia itineraries as a market test and to raise awareness/marketing of NCL in those areas pre Bliss. I don't think for one moment that the Star is going to be retired, it just won't be doing milk runs out of a Florida port in future and I thank the stars for that. Instead I think we will see it doing unusual and exciting destinations.

I have been saying for a long time that the Spirit will go to Australia to stay. I also think that the Star is just being used for these new Asia/Australia itineraries as a market test and to raise awareness/marketing of NCL in those areas pre Bliss. I don't think for one moment that the Star is going to be retired, it just won't be doing milk runs out of a Florida port in future and I thank the stars for that. Instead I think we will see it doing unusual and exciting destinations.

The Star is losing money. It is the hardest ship to fill and costs the most to maintain. It is that car that you have to decide whether to continuing dumping cash into repairs or cut your losses.

With the exception of MSC's soon to be completed "Renaissance Program" for their Lirica Class ships, lengthening has mostly fallen out of favor amongst major cruise lines. NCL had several ships, Norwegian Dream and Norwegian Wind, that experienced significant technical and structural issues after being lengthened. Enchantment of the Seas also developed extensive cracking around the added section, which is one of the reasons why RCI scrapped their plans to lengthen other Vision Class ships.

:eek: Yikes! :eek: I didn't know that. Well, to heck with that idea. :rolleyes: I knew it had been done in the past, but I didn't realize it came with its own set of issues.

It's a shame as I loved the layout and pool deck of the Enchantment - it is my favorite of all the ships I've been on, with the Sun second to that.