Princess Cruises Introduces Gastropub on Crown Princess

LauraS

As a proud member of the Riff Raff, I will be right there with you. Some people just don't think before they post insulting things, I guess. I saw the thing on the Crown a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed.

Yes, Why do some people have to be so insulting!!!! I may be Riff Raff but I at least have manners!!!

Also a member of Riff Raff club and I love the pub lunches they normally do. Anyone else think this name is a bit weird - Gastro pub?

It is a newish term in the US. Or at least newish to where I live. We had our first Gastro Pub open up maybe 5-7 years ago. I see that you are an Aussie.

The term means "a pub that specializes in serving high-quality food."

Edited by Coral

I am a proud card carrying member of the riff raff club and proud to be so. :D

I have been to the pub lunch maybe twice or so. Personally it does nothing for me so I have not been back. I do know that they line up early to get in and the lines seem to stay most of the time so I would say a lot of pax love it. I will have to check out the new gastropub next time I get a chance just to see what it is and whether I like it. The $19 upcharge is perhaps a bit hefty but then as a member of the riff raff club, I probably will not be attending.

Yes I do know the correct meaning. It just sparks my sense of humour, may be just an Aussie thing.

Sorry - thought it was a US thing.... Out of curiosity, do you use the term for some restaurants/pubs in Australia?

Edited by Coral

Sorry - thought it was a US thing.... Out of curiosity, do you use the term for some restaurants/pubs in Australia?

Not a common term in Australia, maybe because of the connotations. However many restaurants, dining places use the term Gastronomy!

The gastropub is a very common and fashionable concept in the UK. They appeal to a different clientele from the traditional pub though, and locals are often not very happy when their village pub is turned into a gastropub, with fancy food, trendy decor and higher prices.

We were on the Crown the week before the new pub opened. The tables are all the high pub type which could be a problem for people with disabilities. On my cruise the pub lunch was offered in the Crown Grill not the Wheelhouse. I have noticed on my last several Princess cruises on the Ruby, Grand and the Caribbean, in addition to the Crown that the Wheelhouse was poorly attended. Even on formal nights the room was less than half full.

While the new concept will be a disappointment to the people who enjoy dancing, I suspect that Princess is trying to increase revenues for this venue. Crooners overlooking the Atrium was crowded on my recent cruises and cannot accommodate all the people who enjoy dancing.