Can I get to Rock Sound from Princess Cays?

Kiri1234

I want to go to a catholic mass on the Princess Cays day. There is a church in Rock Sound on Eleuthera. Does anyone know if I could leave the Princess area and go into town. What do I do? Thanks!

I think you would have to arrange transportation beforehand. I took the ship's tour to Rock Sound, but there are not taxi cabs waiting outside the gate, Not sure how you would arrange it, sorry.

You may have to have a car rental pick you up, drive, return the car... or arrange for limo service... if any. Yikes! That would be a very expensive Mass...

i've never been there, so I don't want to sound stupid, well any more than I already am accused of, but does the island even have rental cars or limo service?

i've never been there, so I don't want to sound stupid, well any more than I already am accused of, but does the island even have rental cars or limo service?

Sure. Eleuthera is a big island, with two airports and tourist infrastructure. It's just that Princess Cays is all the way on the south end of the island, and the nearest place for any of that infrastructure is Rock Sound, which isn't close by. If you look at Eleuthera on Google maps, you'll see what I mean -- Princess Cays isn't marked on the map (although it's obvious on Google satellite view), but it sits about one mile south of Bannerman Town, at about the same latitude as Cotton Bay Beach.

That would be way too long and expensive for me! There's also a big risk of missing the ship... especially since it's a tender situation. Not worth it IMHO.

Additionally, if there is bad weather, even just strong winds that

make tendering dangerous, the port call could be cancelled.

I want to go to a catholic mass on the Princess Cays day. There is a church in Rock Sound on Eleuthera. Does anyone know if I could leave the Princess area and go into town. What do I do? Thanks!

May I ask what ship and when you are sailing?

I wanted to take the Emerald Princess that leaves Ft Lauderdale on March 5 but I will have to choose another cruise if I can't find a mass that I can get to on Sunday.

Thanks for everyone's input. I was hoping the church in Rock Sound was accessible. 😞

May I ask what ship and when you are sailing?

I wanted to take the Emerald Princess that leaves Ft Lauderdale on March 5 but I will have to choose another cruise if I can't find a mass that I can get to on Sunday.

Thanks for everyone's input. I was hoping the church in Rock Sound was accessible. 😞

Thanks for everyone's input. I was hoping the church in Rock Sound was accessible.

I thought you might be on the 12/6 & 12/13 sailing of Regal. We are traveling with a friend of our who is all most 97 years old and is a Catholic priest. But I see your is a different sailing. I hope that you can make it to the church.

I thought you might be on the 12/6 & 12/13 sailing of Regal. We are traveling with a friend of our who is all most 97 years old and is a Catholic priest. But I see your is a different sailing. I hope that you can make it to the church.

I wish I were on your cruise! That is handy to travel with your own priest! And at 97, that is a really special mass....what a blessing!!

I wish I were on your cruise! That is handy to travel with your own priest! And at 97, that is a really special mass....what a blessing!!

He is a blessing to have as a friend. We met him 17 years ago when I was on a HAL cruise. He was the on board Chaplin. We became friends, and he has visited/stayed with us many times in our home, and we would plan our cruises when he would be on board the ship. We will be traveling with him and with some friends in Dec on Regal.

Take care and God Bless.

We were there last year and we went to Rock Sound and we saw the church you are talking about. We did't see anybody there, though.

Apparently, there were no services on that Sunday. So, even if you got there, there arena guarantees there will be a mass.

It is also possible that they do have mass, but in the morning, before they start tendering....

Edited by AKman2495

Probably no clergy there, but did you know that there is a chapel available for your use on the ship? Certainly would be alot easier.

Don't know quite how to put this but having a chapel available onboard is not really going to help if there is not a Catholic priest to say Mass.

This is not like many other denominations where it could be led by a member of the congregation and be quite spiritually acceptable.

Thanks for everyone's input. I was hoping the church in Rock Sound was accessible. [emoji20]

Hi Kiri- I'm just curious. Is it not acceptable for you to miss a mass while on vacation? Not asking to be critical, just wondering. I'm close to many people who are Catholic, including a relative who is a nun. I've never known any of them to be hindered in their vacation plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kiri- I'm just curious. Is it not acceptable for you to miss a mass while on vacation? Not asking to be critical, just wondering. I'm close to many people who are Catholic, including a relative who is a nun. I've never known any of them to be hindered in their vacation plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention it's going to severely restrict her choices! Not even sure any cruise will be available, except maybe a 4 or 5 day cruise, cruising during the week.

You might contact Princess and the Cruise Director for the cruise you are interested in. There just might be a priest booked on the cruise with you or perhaps accommodations on that day for crew members who are Catholic.

I have been on cruises with Father and were surprised that there were other priest on board. On the last cruise with him this Jan. He stayed with us for a week before the cruise. Then we took the cruise for one week and he stayed on for the next week. I felt bad to leave him on the ship by him self. But on formal night he had his collar on and another man came up to our table and he also was a priest. He was very nice and had Father moved to his table for the next week. So, there may be another priest on your voyage. I would ask at the front desk. The can't give out room numbers, but if you write a note and ask if there is a priest on board, maybe they can give the note to him, or connect you by phone to his cabin and leave a message.

Being Catholic, I'll take a shot at answering your question.

The general guideline we've received from our pastors is that we "keep God's day holy". In practical terms this means if there isn't a Mass reasonably available, we should do something else to keep God at the forefront. For us this can mean attending the ecumenical service onboard, if there is one, or spending some time together in prayer - we often use the readings from the Divine Office (this is a set of scripture readings and songs used daily by Catholic religious) and sing some hymns or songs. And it is easy to keep God in mind the rest of the day by marveling at His creation.

In our cruise experience we have found many of the Caribbean islands have their Mass early in the morning, and with the ship's schedule and location of the church it is often impossible to attend. We have been fortunate in several cases while on cruises - the last time being in the Azores where we decided to visit a church to "say hello" and discovered a Mass (in Portuguese) just starting . Out of all our cruises this was the third time we were able to attend Mass while off the ship, with one of those celebrated by a priest from the ship.

I hope Kiri1234 can find a solution that fits. I would recommend she talk with her pastor about the situation.