Rude Travelers on Allure

mlsetc

Currently on Allure, yesterday two "gentlemen" got

irate at the wipeout cafe because there was no salsa for their eggs. One of these buttheads actually slammed his plate of eggs down on the counter. They both treated the worker very badly, makes me embarrassed to be from the same country as these two. No wonder a good part of the world dislikes us.

Currently on Allure, yesterday two "gentlemen" got

irate at the wipeout cafe because there was no salsa for their eggs. One of these buttheads actually slammed his plate of eggs down on the counter. They both treated the worker very badly, makes me embarrassed to be from the same country as these two. No wonder a good part of the world dislikes us.

Yep.....They're everywhere. :mad:

rude people are everywhere sadly.

On cruise ships I think we see it more because there is a certain population who feel entitled to having everything their way, and if its not they get all huffy puffy and act like idiots.

Cultures play a role in how everyone acts, but rude people come from every part of the world. Here there is a grocery store that Europeans and Asians visit on their way through while bus touring....I grocery shop there every week, and while I feel they don't know the word "excuse me" and that many of them are rude, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to assume all foreign people are rude, just as it wouldn't be appropriate for them to think ALL Americans are rude...However it only takes a few rotten apples to have people generalize for the whole population.

rude people are everywhere sadly.

On cruise ships I think we see it more because there is a certain population who feel entitled to having everything their way, and if its not they get all huffy puffy and act like idiots.

Cultures play a role in how everyone acts, but rude people come from every part of the world. Here there is a grocery store that Europeans and Asians visit on their way through while bus touring....I grocery shop there every week, and while I feel they don't know the word "excuse me" and that many of them are rude, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to assume all foreign people are rude, just as it wouldn't be appropriate for them to think ALL Americans are rude...However it only takes a few rotten apples to have people generalize for the whole population.

totally agree, I do not think rudeness is just a American thing, been to international conference and found Europeans and Asians extremely rude

OMG....No yellow mustard on my recent Mariner Asia cruise in the WJ....I asked about it and they said they would try to find some (I assumed they would just put some out).... that evening they delivered enough yellow mustard to my cabin (shocked) to last my entire cruise..said to keep it as they weren't going to put it out in the WJ didn't have enough and it wasn't popular on these itineraries...but they wanted to make sure I would always have it...so every time I went to the WJ my DH would keep some packets in his pants pocket for me.....Funny...but just shows you being kind and polite in your requests can produce some great responses.....We laughed as we thought on that cruise I was being referred to as the "Mustard Lady" :D

Edited by Ashland

First of all, I always try to be polite when traveling, so I would never make a fuss about missing salsa! But, I'm embarrassed to say that, as I travel more, I sometimes do need to check myself and adjust my expectations. Not in a bad way, but I just realize that I need to be more open to other cultures.

I do agree that America doesn't have a monopoly on rude people. But, I do think Americans have a higher expectation that everyone will speak English. I certainly don't, but know some people who were very upset when people couldn't understand them or signs weren't in English, etc.

On our last cruise we had met up with some friends from LA. (We're from Melbourne, Australia).

Our "friend" put a formal complaint in, as the ship didn't have American mustard at the hotdog area!

My husband & I were mortified & so embarrassed. EVERYTHING was a big issue for them- but that was the most embarrassing!

(Also- I know not ALL people from LA are like this... My mum is from San Fran, & I went to High School in San Diego... so I'm certainly not hating on all Americans or anything!!!)

I think it is entirely fine to say when witnessing such trivialities, "You should thank God salsa is your biggest problem. Others have real problems".

Really? When in the presence of someone who has, at least for the moment, lost touch with their senses you think it is a good idea to lecture them.

For your sake I hope you do well when the target of a tirade or very crude...very possibly profane...suggestion for you next activity.

On our last cruise we had met up with some friends from LA. (We're from Melbourne, Australia).

Our "friend" put a formal complaint in, as the ship didn't have American mustard at the hotdog area!

My husband & I were mortified & so embarrassed. EVERYTHING was a big issue for them- but that was the most embarrassing!

(Also- I know not ALL people from LA are like this... My mum is from San Fran, & I went to High School in San Diego... so I'm certainly not hating on all Americans or anything!!!)

Well...I wouldn't put in a formal complaint but I certainly would opt for other items. In my opinion, a hot dog is not a hot dog without (at a minimum) mustard, onions, chili and corn chips. But that's just me. :D

OMG....No yellow mustard on my recent Mariner Asia cruise in the WJ....I asked about it and they said they would try to find some (I assumed they would just put some out).... that evening they delivered enough yellow mustard to my cabin (shocked) to last my entire cruise..said to keep it as they weren't going to put it out in the WJ didn't have enough and it wasn't popular on these itineraries...but they wanted to make sure I would always have it...so every time I went to the WJ my DH would keep some packets in his pants pocket for me.....Funny...but just shows you being kind and polite in your requests can produce some great responses.....We laughed as we thought on that cruise I was being referred to as the "Mustard Lady" :D

Did they ask for your stateroom number?

OMG....so every time I went to the WJ my DH would keep some packets in his pants pocket for me.... We laughed as we thought on that cruise I was being referred to as the "Mustard Lady" :D

I can see you walking on deck outside at night.

From the shadows you hear "Pssst! Hey, you got any mustard? I heard you can hook me up!"

Did they ask for your stateroom number?

Not at first, they said they would find some and bring it to our table...a few minutes later the WJ manager came to our table apologized said they would continue to look for some...I said "no problem...I usually see plenty of it so was just surprised" he asked for my SeaPass wrote my name down and said he would let me know if they found any....I thought that would be the end of it....so "SHOCKED" when that night someone knocked and had a plate full with a cover on it...I was a bit embarrassed and taken aback..as I absolutely made no big deal out of it....I'm a long time low key usually ask for nothing loyal RCI cruiser....I very much appreciated this above and beyond gesture.

I can see you walking on deck outside at night.

From the shadows you hear "Pssst! Hey, you got any mustard? I heard you can hook me up!"

FUNNY :D....I did feel a bit weird opening my private stash of mustard packets for my hot dogs and hamburgers at the WJ the rest of the cruise ;)

I would have looked to lighten the situation by standing and shouting over them "I am NOT going to pay a lot for this muffler".

The key to making it work is to make no eye contact with anyone.

Best-

Steve

I wouldn't pay a lot for a "muffler" onboard either :D:D