A few questions about the Ruby

mrswallace2012

Hello!

So we will be taking our first Princess Cruise in February, a Mexican riviera cruise. We are currently booked for ATD because we don't mind waiting lines and we don't want to be constricted to time restraints. However, I read an old thread from last year saying that ATD was very disorganized and many cruisers were unhappy. I was wondering if it has gotten better and if there service is just as good as it is with Traditonal dining.

Also, we are planning a zipline excursion in PV and a massage on our ship while we are in Mazatlan. We were wondering what is something we can do in Cabo? We are young and feel comfortable getting around on our own ( we lived in Europe for several years in college) so would it be easy for us to talk down to the main part of Cabo for shopping/eating/people watching? And is it easy to find a taxi to take to a beach?

We are SO looking forward to this vacation. Thank you for any help and insight :)

Hello!

So we will be taking our first Princess Cruise in February, a Mexican riviera cruise. We are currently booked for ATD because we don't mind waiting lines and we don't want to be constricted to time restraints. However, I read an old thread from last year saying that ATD was very disorganized and many cruisers were unhappy. I was wondering if it has gotten better and if there service is just as good as it is with Traditonal dining.

Also, we are planning a zipline excursion in PV and a massage on our ship while we are in Mazatlan. We were wondering what is something we can do in Cabo? We are young and feel comfortable getting around on our own ( we lived in Europe for several years in college) so would it be easy for us to talk down to the main part of Cabo for shopping/eating/people watching? And is it easy to find a taxi to take to a beach?

We are SO looking forward to this vacation. Thank you for any help and insight :)

ATD works like this. At 5 or 5:30 the Michelangelo DR opens for ATD. Many passengers like to dine early so the DR is normally full by 6pm. Since it takes around two hours to dine, tables for the second wave are not normally available until around 7:30pm. At 7:30 a second DR, the Da Vinci DR becomes available for ATD, thus doubling the number of available tables. If you like to dine late it is normally easy to just walk right in. Tables to share are generally easier to get than tables for two. On most ships you can make reservations for ATD by calling the DINE line in the morning. Reservations are accepted for specific times, for example 5:30, 5:45, 7;30, 7:45. You can't make reservations for other times. Our experience has been that ATD is a somewhat difficult on the first night, but smooths out after passengers get into their routines.

Cabo is a tender port. The tender leaves you off right in the marina area where there are shops, bars, restaurants and locals selling tours and boat trips. You can go to the beach as another poster has stated or just walk around the large marina area. I would not venture out on my own in any Mexican port and in Cabo I would generally avoid the downtown street area, although some passengers do go there.

We like to take the water taxis to a place called "The Office". They have the best cerviche and guacamole, plus excellent margarita's and beers. You sit in chairs, right on the sand. There's a beach for swimming, so you might want to wear a swimsuit under your clothes and bring a towel.

We've also done a whale/dolphin watch tour on Zodiac rafts that we booked through Princess.

If you are a Van Halen/Sammy Hagar fan, it's fun to visit "Cabo Wabo" for a margarita and check out all of the memorabilia.

Cabo is one of my favorite ports. There's plenty to do there.

Some of these post give the basic good advice:

Go to the dining room after 7 for best service and to avoid the hustle of all the early diners. 7:30 is optimal.

Cabo could be a short stop. Go to Cabo Wabo and explore the downtown. The water taxi will cost $8 pp and will take you to The Office on Medano Beach. The beer is cold, guacamole and ceviche are really good and you have a wonderful view.

In Mazatlan, we LOVE to go to Stone Island which is a beach close to the port. Lety's Restaurant is a palapa restaurant where you can sit and eat, they have beach chairs and you learn what heaven feels like. A can't miss for a relaxing day.

In PV, make sure you make it to the Malecon and visit old PV. Very charming with a great vibe. A little touristee, but it is beautiful and old.

Happy Cruising:D:D

Hello!

ATD is like a restaurant on land that you show up at when you want to eat.

If many other people show up at the same time you do, there can be a wait.

So if on the ship the time you choose to eat is not the same time as hundreds of your new friends, there should be little or no wait.

Cabo is a short port call so not a lot of time to just find someone to take you snorkeling or something. We did the catamaran snorkel trip. Photo op by the arch and a nice ride for about an hour under sail. One long snorkel stop with lots of fish and easily viewable reefs. On the way back snacks and open bar with appropriate island party music (Sammy Hagar, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney etc). We had several people dancing on the net areas up front. The margaritas were better than the ones on the ship. When we got back we had about 45-60 min in town before the last tender at 1:15.

Cabo is very hot..

We walked around the town area . It was nothing special but interesting enough for some photos. Had coffeee at Starbucks....We shopped, bought very nice jewelry, and enjoyed a nice lunch in the yacht basin area....it was just too hot to do much more ! It's beautiful place and coming into the port is beathtaking. Enjoy!

Edited by hcat