Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

But you will admit that your comments are filled with disdain for the cruise lines that "trot out" these extra charges, and for the customers who are "absolutely falling all over themselves" to pay them. Whereas we should be thanking them, and all the drinkers and gamblers, too, for keeping the price of cruising down for all of us.

No, I don't think I'll admit that. It's a fact that many people want extras and are ready, willing and eager to purchase them. I'm continually happy to have the drinkers, gamblers, and other extra cost purchasers keeping my costs down. Far from thinking of them disdainfully, I think of them very kindly. And why would I have disdain for cruiselines for finding new revenue? I think very kindly of them as well and have a lively interest in their success. So, when I say that as long as people are so very willing to pay for extras, cruiselines will keep adding extras, that's a reasonable statement. Sorry if it came across differently.

Unless NCL is getting rid of chicken, pork, ground beef, turkey, sandwiches, cheeses, bread, pasta, rice, vegetables, lentils, potatoes, fish, imitation crab meat, other seafood like scallops and lamb from the complimentary places - not really missing prime ribs, lobster and surf & turf in the MDR that much either.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Agreed! And don't forget lamb shanks. Can't forget the lamb shanks. :D

A strategy that is working for ... the cruiselines, on behalf of the stockholders. :D and, that "some" people here say they are willing to pay for it (not necessary themselves, as they got their own sweet deals :rolleyes:) Let's admit that some lines are better in rolling out the changes and communicating to the customers on what is to be expected. #cough #cough - Q3 earnings out, stock price down 5% pre-market ... buy on rumors, sell on news.

Over the years, prime ribs, roast beef, pork chops & roast rack of lamb, even duck are disappearing off the MDR menus - now, possibly re-emerging as surcharged items. On the seafood & fish corner - grouper became tilapia, shrimp cocktail and scallops no more, and it's just a matter of time that salmon will become the next surcharged item as an option. If folks are cruising for spaghetti and meatballs, I wonder if chicken thighs & legs will be substituted for the boneless fillet of chicken next - all in the name of Feestyle cruising innovation.

For those with hefty appetite, easy to make extra bucks + 18%, a surcharge for extra portions in up-sizing and start charging for wasted unconsumed or eaten food left on the plates ... it's all in the name of cost control :eek: & - oops, heathier eating /cooking light was the old "buzz" word (remember ...)

Edited by mking8288

A strategy that is working for ... the cruiselines, on behalf of the stockholders. :D and, that "some" people here say they are willing to pay for it (not necessary themselves, as they got their own sweet deals :rolleyes:) Let's admit that some lines are better in rolling out the changes and communicating to the customers on what is to be expected. #cough #cough - Q3 earnings out, stock price down 5% pre-market ... buy on rumors, sell on news.

Over the years, prime ribs, roast beef, pork chops & roast rack of lamb, even duck are disappearing off the MDR menus - now, possibly re-emerging as surcharged items. On the seafood & fish corner - grouper became tilapia, shrimp cocktail and scallops no more, and it's just a matter of time that salmon will become the next surcharged item as an option. If folks are cruising for spaghetti and meatballs, I wonder if chicken thighs & legs will be substituted for the boneless fillet of chicken next - all in the name of Feestyle cruising innovation.

For those with hefty appetite, easy to make extra bucks + 18%, a surcharge for extra portions in up-sizing and start charging for wasted unconsumed or eaten food left on the plates ... it's all in the name of cost control :eek: & - oops, heathier eating /cooking light was the old "buzz" word (remember ...)

Overall Nasdaq is down by 5%, which NCL is on and all 3 cruise lines stocks on that market are down #smirk.

Any hoo, you pay for what you get and it's not enough to have 1lb whole lobster , 32oz steak, or 16oz prime rib in the fare every other night for every single passenger in the MDR of NCL. It's not the same thing as the other 2 lines in the NCLHoldings that can do that feat. Why? Because ALL those customers are paying tens /hundred of thousands per person per trip meanwhile, on NCL its in the low thousands even for the extremely small group paying in the Haven/suites.

You're not liking that times have changed and that there actually people that genuinely don't care for those extra items sailing on NCL - No offense, that your personal problem to deal with, not them. Because again, it goes back to paying for what you get and the fares, for lack of better term, is dirt cheap - so dirt cheap in fact, they did serve spaghetti & meatballs, Flounder, eggplant parmigiana, chicken, vegetable lasagna rolls, pot roast, Chuck beef, garden salad, etc in their MDR, either every night or every other night. I guess you have to pay extra and eat in specialty restaurants since NCL's MDR is too 'tasteless' and "low class" for you and others, that want those 3 extra items free there every night. *smirk*

You are kidding right? You want people to ban together and back you to get something back in place that most people are thrilled was taken away?

People are for the most part NOT thrilled with the extra mdr charges

People WERE thrilled for the most part with the balcony smoking ban

Exactly, so I should smokers ban together with you guys? People only call for a ban together when it's something that benefits them.

Exactly, so I should smokers ban together with you guys? People only call for a ban together when it's something that benefits them.

Not at all and smokers do not need to ban together with non smokers...but you were the one to bring that up....you need to re read what you post motley.

Smokers do not need to concern themselves about that because there are more than enough non smokers demanding and getting smoke free environments

Smokers should really start to think of what their alternatives are in the next few years when ships are completely smoke free just like everyplace else is

Now that is the real concern here and not meant as an insult. Many can't quit the habit but will not be able to cruise in the near future either

So now you can jump all over this post ....but the fact remains that the wind so to speak is NOT blowing in favor of the smokers....so what will they do?

Jump to another line I assume until it's banned there as well

Bottom line the best answer is to have smoking ships and non smoking ships. Of course that won't happen either as many posters will now say. Lol

Well, while I'm not happy with this change, I would be willing to pay more for lobster in the Main dining room. But, that said, it better then be great lobster and not mushy watery lobster. Also, it should be a decent size.

We were just on Breakaway. DH ordered the Surf and Turf in Ocean Blue, I think it was like $30. Out came the smallest filet I've ever seen and a half of a lobster tail. Really! I've never seen a half of a lobster tail served. We never went back and don't plan to. The food was tasty, but we really felt ripped off.

I agree and I don't think I have ever had really good Lobster on a cruise. What used to be served on NCL main dining room was as good as what we got on Princess for $25.00 a few years ago. It wasn't even cooked all the way through. Many others on that cruise complanned about the undercooked Lobster. I think I will stick with land based restaurants for my Lobster.

I have been cruising NCL for 20 plus years: I don't ever remember rack of lamb in the mdr, I could be wrong and the duck was only part of the menu for a short period of time. Pork chops are still served, as is roast beef. When prime rib disappears is still not clear. You mention helfty appitites, is there anywhere it says you can not order 2 entrees in the MDRs? I haven't seen it.

Yes, food quality and choices in the MDRs are not what they were 10 or more years ago, but do you do any grocery shopping? If you do, you know the cost of food. If any cruise line (not just NCL) continued the qualtiy we all were used to, we would be paying twice as much to cruise. I will take the prices they are offering and decide for myself where I want to spend my additional budgeted money. For those who don't like the policy find another line and then come back and tell us how much you actually saved and how good the line is or was.

Agreed. At first when I saw the title of this thread, I thought the OP must have been confused. But then I saw the pictures and it was a SMH moment for sure.

And to those who keep saying, "But RCCL has charge items" and "But it's cheaper than RCCL": That doesn't negate that all food items on the MDR menu are no longer complimentary, and we're being asked to pay for items that used to be complimentary.

I continue to sit here and watch the value of a cruise I booked months in advance go down. NCL is turning out to be a bad investment of my vacation dollars.

Prince's has Special charge items in MDR as well. Pretty standard. Not a bad investment, you don't have to buy the specialty steak, seafood

Because smoking on Balconies only benefits smokers to the detriment of non smokers.

Getting more value for your money benefits everyone and doesn't harm anyone.

The 2 are not comparable.

I have personally seen people whine and complain about the lobster being gone, I have also seen people say if they bring the lobster back they will gladly pay for it. So don't be upset you got your wish

And then there are those that never said they'd be happy if it was brought back as an upcharge item, and are still bummed that a lobster tail is not offered as part of the regular, included, MDR menu on one night. Why do you assume that everyone upset about a change once asked for said change??

Unless NCL is getting rid of chicken, pork, ground beef, turkey, sandwiches, cheeses, bread, pasta, rice, vegetables, lentils, potatoes, fish, imitation crab meat, other seafood like scallops and lamb from the complimentary places - not really missing prime ribs, lobster and surf & turf in the MDR that much either.

So we all need to feel the same as you? Personally, I eat chicken, pork, ground beef, turkey, sandwiches, cheeses, bread, pasta, rice, vegetables, lentils, potatoes, fish, etc. at home. While on vacation, I like extra special options, like lobster tail, prime rib, etc. These have always been offered in the MDR, included in my fare, on my previous cruises. That's actually one of my main reasons for loving to cruise -- I can enjoy a special meal without worrying about the price. This makes me happy, and makes it a preferred vacation, for me. If the meals I want to enjoy on a cruise are going to be structured with a price attached just like a land based restaurant, I may as well book a land-based vacation.

What with all the "Upcharges" and gratuity on top of gratuity, there is little control on one's costs. What I have liked about cruising is 1)knowing pretty much what it will cost me and 2)unpacking once.

Think NCL has blown #1 out of the water, so much so that #2 does not matter. Might be time to return to land based travel. At least, I can choose where and when to eat and what I want to give as a gratuity.

no one is anxious to pay extra for anything, the point you are missing is: times change, things change and cruising is very different today than 20 years ago. I have a gut feeling you were not cruising back then. If you were,you have forgotten what it was like. The price of cruising, when you take in inflation also hasn't really gone up: if anything it is less but if you were not taking cruises in the 80s and 90s you wouldn't know that. I can remember when most ships did not have an exercise area or a very small one; there was a place to enjoy lunch and breakfast away from the 1 main dining room, but not really a large buffet. Certainly they didn't have 10 or more dining choies. There was one pool, no kids programs, 1 show nightly, etc. I could go on and on. My point is simply things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

My first two cruises were in 1991 on NCL's Norway. Food was generally good with the last night being the Lobster and Cherries Jubilee celebration. That is also when we handed out our gratuities in envelopes to the cruise staff that served us well. There was an ongoing buffet (never used as I don't eat all that much), but soda was always available. Now, even that has a charge.

Yes, things change, and when they are not for the good, we have to say so.

I don't need 10 dining choices, any shows or a kids program.

I do think that the price of cruising has gone up.As a single in an OV, I would need to spend at least 2X more than I did in 2011. This is not 3% inflation for me.

I have been cruising NCL for 20 plus years: I don't ever remember rack of lamb in the mdr, I could be wrong and the duck was only part of the menu for a short period of time. Pork chops are still served, as is roast beef. When prime rib disappears is still not clear. You mention helfty appitites, is there anywhere it says you can not order 2 entrees in the MDRs? I haven't seen it.

Yes, food quality and choices in the MDRs are not what they were 10 or more years ago, but do you do any grocery shopping? If you do, you know the cost of food. If any cruise line (not just NCL) continued the qualtiy we all were used to, we would be paying twice as much to cruise. I will take the prices they are offering and decide for myself where I want to spend my additional budgeted money. For those who don't like the policy find another line and then come back and tell us how much you actually saved and how good the line is or was.

Thank you for posting this!!! I AM bummed about the prime rib upcharge(15.00 is a lot for what was once offered for free in O Sheehans, unless it's a better version of prime rib) , but at the same time, groceries are expensive, especially meat!

I know Carnival and RCI has had mdr upcharges for years now, so I don't see what the uproar is about. If you don't want to pay for better food, don't. That's the best message you can send the cruise line to hopefully get a positive change

I DO hate this 18% gratuity on specialty dining. I already pay the DSC, which pays the people in the mdr their tips, so essentially, if I eat in a specialty dining venue and have to pay the 18%, I'm still tipping the Mdr and I'm not even eating in there! I know, I know, nothing I can do about it, but I just wish you could have an optional tip for the specialty dining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we all need to feel the same as you? Personally, I eat chicken, pork, ground beef, turkey, sandwiches, cheeses, bread, pasta, rice, vegetables, lentils, potatoes, fish, etc. at home. While on vacation, I like extra special options, like lobster tail, prime rib, etc. These have always been offered in the MDR, included in my fare, on my previous cruises. That's actually one of my main reasons for loving to cruise -- I can enjoy a special meal without worrying about the price. This makes me happy, and makes it a preferred vacation, for me. If the meals I want to enjoy on a cruise are going to be structured with a price attached just like a land based restaurant, I may as well book a land-based vacation.

You are right, they have always been. Now there are not so welcome to today lol.

This is why my wife and I have stopped cruising. They are getting fee happy just like the airlines. We have started to do all inclusive resorts, where you don't have to worry about extra charges. Pretty much eat, drink and do what you want for no extra fees. We went to Costa Rica back in May and didnt have to pay for a single thing. We are going to Aruba in December same thing, only thing we will have to pay if for wifi in our room, or we can use the free wifi in the lobby.

Our cruising days are over pretty much, which is a shame we loved NCL.

I really hope this backfires on them.

My opinion you would be foolish to ever think of cruising with them.

Why would you want to see this backfire? Do you always like to see companies you don't happen to agree with fail? Have you cruised NCL recently or a lot? I don't like the a la carte idea at all, though there is a positive side: the entrees are much larger sizes than one normally get on cruise ships anymore. I would never order an extra charge item in the MDR, but I certainly would not hope to see the plan backfire. BTW, it is not likely it will backfire. There is the possibility they will discontinue it do to poor response. Oh, and have you bothered to read the other changes on the menu? The regulare selection sounds much improved.

My first two cruises were in 1991 on NCL's Norway. Food was generally good with the last night being the Lobster and Cherries Jubilee celebration. That is also when we handed out our gratuities in envelopes to the cruise staff that served us well. There was an ongoing buffet (never used as I don't eat all that much), but soda was always available. Now, even that has a charge.

Yes, things change, and when they are not for the good, we have to say so.

I don't need 10 dining choices, any shows or a kids program.

I do think that the price of cruising has gone up.As a single in an OV, I would need to spend at least 2X more than I did in 2011. This is not 3% inflation for me.

The Lobster part you are right about, but I do not remember it being the last night and it was not decent lobster. Well I don't know about that, because we never sailed the Norway. We were booked on her when she had her accident. As for prices going up, that I totally disagree with. You are basing inflation on the past few years; you would have to be an economist to factor in all the years of inflation. I do know, our first cruise, in 1983 was on a now defunck company: an old ship, tiny cabins, no outside hired entertainment and we paid $6.99 a person plus port charges. That was an industry rate, regular rates were higher. I dreamed of the day we could cruise on a decent line. Oh, I will add, we had a great time and yes, the food was fantastic.

I use the 20 year figure just off the top of my head, btw. I can't comment on what you pay as a single. But I can comment on the envalopes. Do you have any idea why all lines have done away with the envalope tipping the last night and are you aware all lines now add auto DSC? Other than that, could you tell us how you think you would pay twice as much as a single compared to 5 years ago? Nothing else has changed that much except for items that one can choose to buy or not?

We had a young man on our Jewel Cruise a few weeks ago: he paid, (last minute booking) $379.00 for a single and that included the liquor package. Was that about twice what you paid 5 years ago? sorry, I do not think cruising has increased in price that much and it is still a good vacation bargain compared to land tours or quality AI.

Thank you for posting this!!! I AM bummed about the prime rib upcharge(15.00 is a lot for what was once offered for free in O Sheehans, unless it's a better version of prime rib) , but at the same time, groceries are expensive, especially meat!

I know Carnival and RCI has had mdr upcharges for years now, so I don't see what the uproar is about. If you don't want to pay for better food, don't. That's the best message you can send the cruise line to hopefully get a positive change

I DO hate this 18% gratuity on specialty dining. I already pay the DSC, which pays the people in the mdr their tips, so essentially, if I eat in a specialty dining venue and have to pay the 18%, I'm still tipping the Mdr and I'm not even eating in there! I know, I know, nothing I can do about it, but I just wish you could have an optional tip for the specialty dining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 18% in specialty dining rooms pisses me off as well. We always left an extra tip, but to be required to when the wait staff is part of the overall pool is hard to swallow. I think, in the long run, the crew may end up being hurt by the new tipping policy. We found ourselves tipping our cabin steward very little on our last cruise. Between the additional DSC and all the other tips, plus he was just Ok, we almost left him nothing.

And yes, people do have to think about the cost of so many items today. OK, the government claims there is almost no inflation: well, if it wasn't for gas price dropping, the inflation would be much higher. I look at our sale ads in grocery stores each week and wonder what we can have that is affordable? Too many people want today's luxury on yesterdays prices.