Questions regarding Epic with an 8 month old baby

Happychappie

Hey Ladies & Gents,

We are travelling on Epic in a couple of weeks time from Barcelona and really looking forward to it. We have always been pretty much "Loyal to Royal" having cruised approx 10 times. However we have chosen Epic as our first NCL cruise as we now have an 8 month old baby girl and as its our first "proper" holiday away with her perhaps a more relaxed experience would be best for us. None more so when it comes to the whole dining thing which appeals rather than the set dining times on RCI.

With 5 port days and Epic being a large ship keeping our baby entertained doesn't phase us but it would be great if others who have travelled with a baby could offer any tips or advise from their experience with NCL.

Questions that spring to mind are:

1) Can you purchase baby essentials on board such as wet wipes, nappies in an emergency etc?

2) Is there a kettle in our room (aft balcony) as we will have baby formula with us and will also need to sterilise bottles?

3) Our little girl is eating some solids now so im hoping the restaurants will be able to organise a little mash potato, veg etc at meal times for us. Is this a normal request to make?

4) We have always enjoyed some of the speciality dining on RCI and hope to be able to maybe try it on Epic. Is this realistic with a baby or are we just likely to be frowned upon with people thinking we are ruining their evening?

5) Are the shows a bit of a no-no with a baby really?

6) With such a young baby are the childrens activities/club more aimed at older children or would there be things to occupy her with in there?

Im trying to make the holiday as normal as possible really but equally know that with a baby our lives are very different now!!!! To be honest im sure we will have a great time whatever the case but any answers you can give would be appreciated.

And of course I have to close my message as any proud father should - with an image of my gorgeous baby and her Yummy Mummy!!!

Phoebe2.jpg.6248d66a86d06e6b310c50c8500dbaf6.jpg

It's best to bring ALL the "baby stuff" you'll need....start counting diapers for a week, and then, bring extra. The ship's don't sell much, if any, baby supplies. No baby meds, either...bring what you need!

At 8 mos...you don't need to sterilize....they are becoming mobile, putting things in their mouths.... and that's an added step that is NOT needed! Bring the disposable bottles..much easier than washing bottles in your teeny sink!

There are PLENTY of mashable foods...so you won't need to bring that type of baby food.

Do eat in the dining rooms...much easier with a child than maneuvering through a buffet line!

In the specialties, an earlier time is probably the best bet....

Edited by cb at sea

They do not have organized activities for children under 3. They do have a Guppies area that provides "Norwegian’s youngest guests can enjoy up to two hours a day of sensory play, painting and other activities with their parents."

"A complimentary fun, safe play space with toys, puzzles, games, storytelling, and painting classes designed for children and babies 2 years old and under. The Under 2 Zoo is not staffed and requires parental supervision. The scheduled hours vary per ship and itinerary. A parent must attend for the full duration of the activity in order for the children to participate."

Attached is picture of the new Guppies area on the Epic.

Guppies.jpg.dd297560dc133195a4505a8cd48ae8c4.jpg

We were on Epic with our 6 mo old then again at 18 mo old in Caribbean. I brought everything, didn't see much in shops. Plenty of high chairs. Biggest tip I can offer is use a wearable carrier-we brought her everywhere and she fell asleep, slept through Blue Man group. We sat in the back in shows and if she woke up, we left. Plenty of food options. The guppies area was not appropriate for an infant when we were there but it may have been updated. We ate in specialty restaurants with early reservations. If she got restless, we moved on but they are usually speedy with the food and it worked out fine. We also used our stroller in some restaurants if she was sleeping.

Wish you well cruising with your baby! No doubt you will do just fine!

Please don't take offense at this as it is not intended:

I was recently on the Gem. Every night in the MDR, there was a baby screaming at the top of their lungs during every meal. Unfortunately the parents completely ignored the comfort of other guests and kept the baby in the dining room until their meal was finished. Just please be courteous of the other guests.

However, since you are already posting questions, you sound like the type of parents who are mindful of your baby's needs! Thanks in advance!

You can definitely get diapers and wipes, they can be preordered, so my guess if you run out ask guest services if there are none in the shop.

With the shows be mindful of the noise of the show which can damage young ears, maybe take some infant noise blocking headphoness.

I have 5 kids, and never sterilized a bottle, and don't know of anyone who did. Our oediatricians always said babies need clean, not sterile. I've seem some very cute babies in specialty restaurants. As long as you are ready to leave if baby becomes very fussy, go for it (they will pack up your food). Same with the shows - make sure you sit on an aisle.

I have 5 kids, and never sterilized a bottle, and don't know of anyone who did. Our oediatricians always said babies need clean, not sterile. I've seem some very cute babies in specialty restaurants. As long as you are ready to leave if baby becomes very fussy, go for it (they will pack up your food). Same with the shows - make sure you sit on an aisle.

In the UK, medical advice is to sterilise bottles until baby is 12 months old. I realise advice varies from country to country.

We took our son on Epic when he was 10 months old. We took an umbrella type stroller and an Ergo (to wear baby) and used both quite a bit. We did not take him to any shows, we were traveling with family and they watched him a couple of times so we could go to show, ice bar, etc. We did take him to Moderno for dinner one night. We eat early and we take him out to walk around if he gets fussy, so it was not a problem. We left him with grandma when we went to Tepanyaki. We liked the guppies play room and spent time with him there each day. We took a small container of dish soap and a bottle brush to wash his bottles, but he was breast fed so only had about 1-2 bottles a day when he was with grandparents. We never actually sterilized bottles, and by then he was crawling everywhere and chewing on shoes, remote controls, etc so it would have seemed pretty silly to me to be sterilizing things, although I know they do say to in the UK for some reason? We took extra diapers and wipes with us so we didn't look to see if they had any onboard, but I would just plan ahead with extras. Not worth the stress of having to look for them! He ate things like mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc in addition to breast milk and the 1-2 containers per day of baby food that we took with us for convenience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will warn you of one thing, if you bring your little girl on a cruise. Your daughter will probably return home after the cruise really, really spoiled, as not only some of the other passengers, but especially the crew will be doting on her. So be warned!!!!:)