Weighed for North Star??

I went twice also, one time while docked and one time on a sea day.

Was weighed only on the sea day. Because of the movement, it is not very accurate - maybe that helps :)

And everybody was weighed... it is their policy, even when it is clear that someone is not beyond the weight limit. Even as we have only been 4 plus the instructor we still had to do it.

Is there a weight restriction pp in place, or just to ensure the total weight capacity of the North Star is controlled?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm on the Anthem TA right now, and while I was waiting for my second ride yesterday, I asked this very question. I was told there's a max of 14 guests allowed on North Star, plus the operator, as there are 15 harnesses on board. (I did not ask when they might be used!:eek:). And there's a weight limit for those harnesses.

The weigh in is no big deal. When you reach the front of the line, you step on a scale that no one else can see.

North Star is fantastic.

Edited by Turtles06

I'm on the Anthem TA right now, and while I was waiting for my second ride yesterday, I asked this very question. I was told there's a max of 14 guests allowed on North Star, plus the operator, as there are 15 harnesses on board. (I did not ask when they might be used!:eek:). And there's a weight limit for those harnesses.

The weigh in is no big deal. When you reach the front of the line, you step on a scale that no one else can see.

North Star is fantastic.

Thats correct. It's not a weight limit on the North Star, that's the reason why even if you are alone, you have to weigh.

The harnesses are used to evacuate the North Star in case of an power failure or anything mechanical related. If the North Star is stuck, you have to use a zip line to get out of it...

I think there are also life vests. Don't know if the zip line will go direct back to the ship or just straight down (in the water if outside of the ship).

Curious - what's the concern here?

I imagine that some people do not like to be weighed in public. We have assured the OP that it's not a public weigh in.

PS: North Star is not operating today because of high winds. So that's 4 of our 7 days so far that it hasn't been able to operate. (And one of the working days was our grey and rainy departure day in Southampton.). I feel very fortunate that I've been able to go up twice, including on our gorgeous first morning at sea.

I imagine that some people do not like to be weighed in public. We have assured the OP that it's not a public weigh in.

PS: North Star is not operating today because of high winds. So that's 4 of our 7 days so far that it hasn't been able to operate. (And one of the working days was our grey and rainy departure day in Southampton.). I feel very fortunate that I've been able to go up twice, including on our gorgeous first morning at sea.

A live shot of you comes up on the large screen by the pool with your weight flashing up in big numbers/letters :)

Thats correct. It's not a weight limit on the North Star, that's the reason why even if you are alone, you have to weigh.

The harnesses are used to evacuate the North Star in case of an power failure or anything mechanical related. If the North Star is stuck, you have to use a zip line to get out of it...

I think there are also life vests. Don't know if the zip line will go direct back to the ship or just straight down (in the water if outside of the ship).

Well, now this makes it seem a little less appealing, doesn't it? LOL My fear on this one is the pod breaking off and sinking quickly as it lands in the ocean.

Well, now this makes it seem a little less appealing, doesn't it? LOL My fear on this one is the pod breaking off and sinking quickly as it lands in the ocean.

Did you see the North Star? It's massive. I'm sure it even won't break off with triple the people allowed inside and moving at double speed on rough sea.

I used to worry about public weigh ins too, (and size labels on dresses) but then I remembered that people could see I was a little fatty just by looking at me - and the funny thing is - they didnt actually care that much about my size or weight. Its not like you get on the scales and people suddenly realise you are not slim!

But nobody sees these numbers anyway - I am not sure the staff even look that closely themselves.

No weighing on the Quantum on this past Feb. cruise. There was a limit of 12pax, including the instructor. However, there was weight concern for the I-fly-Ripcord.

As I said above, there was no weighing while docked. So maybe it is only inconsistent or they do not have to weigh while docked. When was your North Star experience, sea day or docked?

Also the limit was 14 for us plus instructor.

I used to worry about public weigh ins too, (and size labels on dresses) but then I remembered that people could see I was a little fatty just by looking at me - and the funny thing is - they didnt actually care that much about my size or weight. Its not like you get on the scales and people suddenly realise you are not slim!

Very good point!!!! :)

As I said above, there was no weighing while docked. So maybe it is only inconsistent or they do not have to weigh while docked. When was your North Star experience, sea day or docked?

Also the limit was 14 for us plus instructor.

Very good point!!!! :)

Docked in St. Marteen-what a sight!

So funny...and so true! :p

Interesting, no weighing while docked, same for us. Maybe they are forcing the weigh thing more while on sea?

As noted above, the pp weight has to do with the capacity of the safety harnessess in the event the North Star becomes stuck in the upright position (and guests have to be lowered via zip line or something similar). If they really aren't weighing people in port (and I have no experience as to whether that's the case), perhaps they feel confident of a different escape method in the event of a problem.

As noted above, the pp weight has to do with the capacity of the safety harnessess in the event the North Star becomes stuck in the upright position (and guests have to be lowered via zip line or something similar). If they really aren't weighing people in port (and I have no experience as to whether that's the case), perhaps they feel confident of a different escape method in the event of a problem.

I know, I've written about the zip line thing. But I still wondered because from the limited number of experience here it seems that docked = no weighing. My intense was that I also thought of a different escape method... just curious. Too bad I didn't ask onboard why I wasn't weighed the first time while docked...