Laundry package

rimau

We are considering a 20+ day cruise on Oceania. This would be our first on this line so we know essentially nothing about it. One primary question concerns on-board laundry facilities. Are there self laundries on board?

We are considering a 20+ day cruise on Oceania. This would be our first on this line so we know essentially nothing about it. One primary question concerns on-board laundry facilities. Are there self laundries on board?

They don't offer any laundry package at all maybe once a week they will offer a "bag" special.. However, that's it

There are self serve laundrys for $2. a load wash or dry and the runtime is about 20 min per machine. These can be very crowded and frustration points.

When one considers what your paying per day/per hour for enjoyment on the cruise its rather expensive to spend several hours of your time doing laundry.

On my last cruise...I just sent it out and saved my wife hours of going back and forth to check on space, and so on trying to get 2 loads done... Money well spent ..

OTOH, we've occasionally taken advantage of the 20 pieces for $20 (although it's somewhat more than that these days) but in general I will do a load of laundry every 10 days or so. I make sure NOT to run into the crowds. By starting laundry around cocktail time (we eat later anyway) it's rarely difficult to get a machine.

It's definitely easier on Marina or Riviera than on the "R" ships because there are more machines available, even with the larger passenger contingent.

Mura

On our upcoming Riviera cruise, we're in PH 11001 which is right next to the laundry. I'm assuming this will make it easier for me to do my own, if I want to.

(Although I have to agree that given our limited vacation time, I would rather spend the money to send it out than take the time to do it myself.)

It certainly would be easy for you to check to see availability if you decide you want to do that! You also shouldn't hear any noise because one enters the laundry room on the "O" ships from the hall and then walks down a short internal hallway for access to the laundry room. I never heard any noise from the laundry room on Regatta when we were directly opposite the entrance, so I can't imagine that noise on Riviera or Marina from the laundry rooms would be a problem.

I usually peak in to see how it is going, but as I said earlier, going in around 5pm (or what I did not say is also if you stay on board while in port and many are on shore) has always worked for us.

Sea days should be avoided!! Unless you have five in a row ... which I don't think will happen on a Caribbean itinerary!

I do understand people not wanting to spend hours trying to get laundry done ... I've just never have had to do that. I put my laundry in the washer, come back just before it is done and put it in the dryer. Some people hang out in the laundry room, waiting. I never do and haven't had the need to do so.

Just be sure to get back BEFORE your laundry is done ...

Lee, this isn't necessarily directed to YOU. Obviously, if you'd rather just send it out ... that's what you should do.

Mura

Lee, this isn't necessarily directed to YOU. Obviously, if you'd rather just send it out ... that's what you should do.

Perhaps, but it was all great info for me! :) I was actually going to ask if anyone had any thoughts about possible noise from being so close to the laundry room, but I thought this probably wasn't the right thread for it. So...thanks for answering my unasked question! I wasn't so worried about night - I believe it's supposed to be closed after 10pm. But it would be a bummer if it was noisy all day long impacting our ability to relax in our cabin, or if I want to take a nap after a morning dive or something. So I'm relieved to hear that won't be a problem.

I'm always looking for the right balance of being reasonably frugal vs. maximizing my vacation enjoyment, so I'll just see how it goes. It's a ten day cruise so I expect I'll need to do at least some laundry, and with the laundry room right outside my cabin that will make it easier to do my own. Given the busting of the budget I did to upgrade to a PH, I should probably take advantage of it! :D

Edited by Leejnd4

Well, we were on Regatta and right across from the laundry room on a cruise earlier this year. Maybe it was because of alumni groups, but we had problems with people congregating in the hall on a few mornings waiting for the laundry room to open (I think at 7:00 or 7:30). Very jovial, very LOUD people at around 6:30 a.m. Really irked me. (Lazy us, sleeping in on a sea day!) I stuck my sleepy head out the cabin door and terrified them into silence. Served them right!!! ;-)

Donn

Well, we were on Regatta and right across from the laundry room on a cruise earlier this year. Maybe it was because of alumni groups, but we had problems with people congregating in the hall on a few mornings waiting for the laundry room to open (I think at 7:00 or 7:30). Very jovial, very LOUD people at around 6:30 a.m. Really irked me. (Lazy us, sleeping in on a sea day!) I stuck my sleepy head out the cabin door and terrified them into silence. Served them right!!! ;-)

Donn

RUDE! (Them, not you.) :p And 6:30 am is ridiculous. I think I read in the blue book that the laundry room hours are something like 8:00 am to 10:00 pm. So if somebody wakes me up by congregating outside the laundry room at Oh-Dark-Thirty, they will hear from me too! :mad:

Also, I'm thinking this might not be so much of a problem on my deck, as it's all PH's. Might be worse on decks with more, and smaller, cabins. But I'll be sure to report on this aspect when I write my trip reports.

Exactly so - we were in a concierge and a bit closer to the hallway! I think if it had been a more frequent occurrence I would have enlisted staff help. I am sure in a PH you will be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our upcoming Riviera cruise, we're in PH 11001 which is right next to the laundry. I'm assuming this will make it easier for me to do my own, if I want to.

(Although I have to agree that given our limited vacation time, I would rather spend the money to send it out than take the time to do it myself.)

A nice compromise - with both a tub and shower, I use the line in the tub for the undergarments and we send out the other items. On our last cruise ( 16 days) the 20 item package was offered several times. It was $24.95 and worth it. Excellent job on DH shirts,slacks, capris, etc. Great value. Sit back, relax and let them do your laundry!:)

if you figure your paying about 250 a day and have 14 awake hours to enjoy that's about $18anhour, so 90 min time going back and forth checking, folding,and all that that's $27.00 plus $4 for the machines $ so $31 to do a load.... ya gotta count all the time... coing to check,going back coming from topside... then back to get into fun... it all adds up....... send it out... or don't so I can have your seat in Martinis at happy hour.