Interesting Liquor Drink Tip - Is it Valid Though?

johnjen

Has anyone been charged $111 in taxes that we have heard from. I can see paying on individual drinks, but paying tax on something you haven't consumed yet seems odd. How come they don't charge if you pay online? This branch of the thread started by talking about individual drinks

I found RCCL jumped on that in port drink sales tax very quickly. When I lived in FL I definitely remember when it started. Then a couple months later I sailed Princess, no FL sales tax. At the time I assumed it was another way RCCL was collecting extra revenue. Having said that, the other lines are all adding the tax now as far as I know. On my last Princess cruise they were onboard with the tax as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would suggest that if a sales tax is required, then the company has the right to charge for that fee or not.

They do have the requirement to pay the state/government for the fee based on the sale whether they charge/pass that fee on to the customer.

I am sure either Princess realized how much money they were losing by not breaking out the sales tax and charging the customer OR they initially did not have the ability to charge/display the fee on their Point Of Sale systems/receipts.

I have never thought about it or even knew that they did. I am usually in port a day or two early and have to pay taxes at restaurant and bars in the port city, so I look at it as paying tax on ship while in port is an extension of that. No big deal....No problem! :cool:

Did you just buy 2 ultimate drink packages in order to save tax on your sailaway drinks :confused:

No taxes paid for the two drink packages, and no, I didn't think about that at the time - we just went and did it. Final price before you pay online is it.

Did the math, it's much more convenient and less expensive in the long run doing the drink packages; we're on vacay anyway, so...not a big deal, and it was a lot cheaper than previously thought.

I think you only pay tax on individually purchased beverages at the bars or venues onboard, and like someone said earlier, taxes cease after the ship is out 12 miles from shore (I thought it was earlier).