Bring my Own Spirits?

VacaytimeRR2015

I do hope someone with experience bringing on more than 3 bottles chimes in. You can't imagine how angry I would be if I had to discard several hundred dollars worth of wine at the port. I do not see the wisdom nor the value in the policy. Surely Oceania isn't that greedy. At the very least, I would like to have a waiver. I am going to try to speak to a supervisor on Monday but often they don't really know anything either.

Here's the thing. Any time you make an official request of Oceania, whether it's their Terms and Conditions, their website, a phone rep or a supervisor, they're going to quote the "official" policy. They have to. The moment they give some other answer, their "official" policy is down the tubes.

Think about why they have a policy. If someone is drunk and obnoxious, they can rely on the policy to provide a solution. They can quote chapter and verse, and kick that drunk off the ship.

But, that's not the way they WANT to treat their guests. Oceania attracts a pretty classy bunch of people (in a good sense, not ones obsessed with class). Oceania prefers to quietly treat them as responsible adults -- at least until they need to trot out the rule. Personally, I've never heard of a situation like that, but you can see how it might happen.

In the meantime, take the experienced guests' word for it. Bring wine, spirits, beer, extract of vanilla, whatever, you won't be questioned. No one will even comment. Do it at embarkation and at every port. Do it openly, but if you have it in a bag, the bag will be x-rayed like any bag --and again, no one will care, or even notice, it's alcohol.

But, if you do bring several hundred dollars of wine, and you do get drunk and disordely, they won't care about you losing that value, along with the remainder of the cruise. That's what the rule is for, and that's why the officials will continue to quote the rule.

Edited by hondorner

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with Oceania. This is my first cruise with them and I wasn't expecting anything like this. One of my wine suitcases will be full and we will hope that there is no surprise at embarkation. If the worse that happens is they sequester the wine until the end of the trip, we are okay. We are spending 3 weeks in Argentina at the end of the cruise so we can drink it there.

No guarantees, as not all Oceania sommeliers are sophisticated, but if you offer the chief sommelier a taste of your vineyard's wine, they may waive the corkage fee, in the interests of broadening their knowledge. Let us know if it works :cool:.

I always offer thes sommelier a glass IfI am bringing a special vintage....That's just manners... not to get the corkage fee removed....its a business.. Like bring abox ofcandy to the hotel manager and get a penthouse upgrade.... No O deserves the right to profit...O'snot a charity. On my last cruise I noted wine prices/ lists for by the bottle were very reasonable even more so than by the glass

I cant help being amused reading about people eagerly la thebetter part of

=8000 to10,000 for a cruise and feel threatened by silly little 60 bucks a day pp.....That aint high >>>> try going to any restaurants and bars and O'prices are very reasonable for the market.....Its just so funny to read a person bragging on their penthouse while trying to squeeze their nickel has the indian riding on the buffalo......amazing

No guarantees, as not all Oceania sommeliers are sophisticated, but if you offer the chief sommelier a taste of your vineyard's wine, they may waive the corkage fee, in the interests of broadening their knowledge. Let us know if it works :cool:.

I always offer thes sommelier a glass IfI am bringing a special vintage....That's just manners... not to get the corkage fee removed....its a business.. Like bring abox ofcandy to the hotel manager and get a penthouse upgrade.... No O deserves the right to profit...O'snot a charity. On my last cruise I noted wine prices/ lists for by the bottle were very reasonable even more so than by the glass

=8000 to10,000 for a cruise and feel threatened by silly little 60 bucks a day pp.....That aint high >>>> try going to any restaurants and bars and O'prices are very reasonable for the market.....Its just so funny to read a person bragging on their penthouse while trying to squeeze their nickel has the indian riding on the buffalo......amazing

And to the folks with a large wine cellar...and they have stuff they think is going bad.. well when youship that level of age, the shipping vibration and sloshing is going to pretty much screw it up for months.... I have a large celler with stuff back to the70's from Calif and the 80's from France... No way amI going to ship a 82 Pomerol or a 74 Heitz marthas to my cruise... to much bouncing and destructive things happen For your Malbeck try the Chicago Wine company Too if your,,wine is so old 30 + years... sell the stuff via a wine broker....I sold several cases when I moved to Hawaii what I bought for 80 a case I sold for $2499.... No way would take good stuff on a cruise

Edited by Hawaiidan

I do hope someone with experience bringing on more than 3 bottles chimes in. You can't imagine how angry I would be if I had to discard several hundred dollars worth of wine at the port. I do not see the wisdom nor the value in the policy. Surely Oceania isn't that greedy. At the very least, I would like to have a waiver. I am going to try to speak to a supervisor on Monday but often they don't really know anything either.

No cruise would make you throw out your wine......they would keep it for you until you disembark....this is not the TSA!

Guess it's time for me to chime in....

Yes, we take a case of wine on every cruise that is departing from a US port or from a port anywhere in the world where there are no egregious customs fees to get it into that country (Canada is an example where one cannot bring in wine legally without a potential 150% of value customs).

Using the WineCheck with a styrofoam insert has worked literally around the world on every airline I can think of - checked as luggage. Yes, we do dispose of the insert when it gets compromised and replace it with a fresh one. We have lots of those in the basement from wine that has been shipped to us.

We did however purchase the luggage type case in the past couple of days since it appears easier to roll through airports and as we become more mature :) that looks like a good idea.

Oceania has never once questioned our behavior and I expect that to continue. In Australia (with Goldman) we brought on 18 bottles for a 32 day cruise and purchased more along the way. We are happy to add a $25 corkage fee to a bottle worth $50-75 retail that would run you $150-200 off the ship's wine list - if it could be found at all.

Finally, we don't ship our older Bordeaux and Burgundies as those are being harbored for our own special occasions and a cruise just doesn't fit that description. But 10 year old CA Cabs, OR Pinot Noirs and fine Brunellos do fulfill that niche quite nicely. We always share a pour with the Somm and sometimes with the restaurant manager in the Specialties. They appreciate it and provide great service but I don't recall ever having the corkage waived, nor would we expect it.

mjobtx - I'll be in touch privately!

Hi John - best to Paula!

And to the folks with a large wine cellar...and they have stuff they think is going bad.. well when youship that level of age, the shipping vibration and sloshing is going to pretty much screw it up for months.... I have a large celler with stuff back to the70's from Calif and the 80's from France... No way amI going to ship a 82 Pomerol or a 74 Heitz marthas to my cruise... to much bouncing and destructive things happen For your Malbeck try the Chicago Wine company Too if your,,wine is so old 30 + years... sell the stuff via a wine broker....I sold several cases when I moved to Hawaii what I bought for 80 a case I sold for $2499.... No way would take good stuff on a cruise

Hawaiidan, it isn't about the $60 per day or $120 per day for two people. We aren't taking a really long cruise but even it would cost $2,880 for the booze package. We don't drink liquor, only wine. $2,880 will buy quite a bit of decent wine. It is about what is available for the money.

You are right that vibration is the enemy of wine but that is long term sustained vibration in storage not the short term kind you get moving or carrying wine for a few weeks. All wine is vibrated. It was bottled, packed, and shipped to you by all means of transportation. It was handled many times by many people in the process. Short term vibration causes no perceptible change in the wine. When you reach your destination, simply stand the bottles up and let them rest.

Some of us collect because of our love of wine and not as a business. I would never think of selling my wine. I regularly share it with fellow wine lovers who generously share their wine with me. My wife and I have traveled all over the U.S and to other countries to meet and taste fine wines with wine lovers and collectors. I can assure you that not one of us is concerned about ruining our wine by traveling with it. If shipping wine was a serious problem, there would be no Wine Spectator or Decanter tastings. No tasting events. No trade shows. And yet there are thousands of these events all over the world with some of the world's best wines represented.

As wine lovers we carry wine with us almost everywhere and if we happen to wind up in wine country on our cruise, we usually return with wine as well. Our upcoming cruise will start in Cape Town with a visit to the wine lands and end in Buenos Aires where we will visit Mendoza for a few days while we are there.

About a year ago, I found this built for purpose wine suitcase. https://vingardevalise.com/ I bought one. Tried it out on a few trips and then bought another. They both will be going with us on our upcoming trip. One will be full of wine for our trip. The other full of breakables, liquids, and assorted odds and ends that we will consume on the trip.

I have learned over the years that shipping back wine from abroad is expensive. It can take a long time and sometimes it gets hung up in customs. We prefer to have our wine with us going and coming. This particular case is discrete and has insulating qualities which help to protect our wine in transit. The drawback, you have to check the cases both directions which is why we often fill the bottle pockets with odds and ends on the outbound and of course wine bottles on the return. Even if I had to pay to check the suitcase, it would cost me less than shipping a case home.

The case isn't for everyone but it works very well for us.

Michael

Thanks for the information on the wine suitcase. I did not know about it and will be ordering one as it will be put to good use! We bring back a lot of wine when we travel from CA and have always used a box with styrofoam inserts that holds 12 bottles. We also put a few bottles in our checked luggage wrapped in bubble wrap. We've never had any bottles break doing this but the box is a hassle. We tie rope around it to make it easier to carry but TSA always opens the box and does not re-tie it. The wine suitcase will eliminate the hassle of rope and packing tape.

A couple posters mentioned that they wouldn't trust a box with styrofoam inserts. I disagree with that - we have checked as luggage with the airlines MANY boxes of wine and nothing has broken. We've even used the same boxes over and over. These boxes are very secure and you do not have to worry about anything breaking. However, the wine suitcase makes it easier to carry.

Thanks for the information on the wine suitcase. I did not know about it and will be ordering one as it will be put to good use! We bring back a lot of wine when we travel from CA and have always used a box with styrofoam inserts that holds 12 bottles. We also put a few bottles in our checked luggage wrapped in bubble wrap. We've never had any bottles break doing this but the box is a hassle. We tie rope around it to make it easier to carry but TSA always opens the box and does not re-tie it. The wine suitcase will eliminate the hassle of rope and packing tape.

A couple posters mentioned that they wouldn't trust a box with styrofoam inserts. I disagree with that - we have checked as luggage with the airlines MANY boxes of wine and nothing has broken. We've even used the same boxes over and over. These boxes are very secure and you do not have to worry about anything breaking. However, the wine suitcase makes it easier to carry.

sunlover12, your profile says Madison, WI. Is that where you live? Just a couple of months ago, several of my wine collector friends were in Madison opening and tasting some amazing wines. Maybe you participated. In any case, if you feel comfortable doing so, send me your contact information at my personal email: mjobtx@gmail.com I try to have contact information for fellow wine lovers and collectors. I just never know when I will be in their neighborhood.

The same goes for the other wine lovers and collectors on this forum. We can exchange contact information. We all travel and there is nothing more fun that meeting up with people who share your interests in wine and travel.

Michael

We had a great time in Buenos Aires picking up some local Malbecs. Didn't spend a lot but even moderately priced wine plus corkage was cheaper and more interesting than the standard offerings on the ships wine list. I have also brought cognac in plastic (?) bottles from REI with no problem, also good for leftover wine.

We had a great time in Buenos Aires picking up some local Malbecs. Didn't spend a lot but even moderately priced wine plus corkage was cheaper and more interesting than the standard offerings on the ships wine list. I have also brought cognac in plastic (?) bottles from REI with no problem, also good for leftover wine.

We plan to buy a couple of cases of wine in Argentina when we take a side trip to Mendoza after the cruise. There is a lot of excellent wine produced there that doesn't make it to the U.S. mostly because not enough of it is made. Cognac you say. Maybe I will pack a bottle of Tesseron for the trip too. You are giving me ideas.

If sailing from an Italian port - someone mentioned Venice - to buy wine or spirits before boarding just go to a supermarket. They sell both in Italy. There are also little shops all over the place in Italian towns that sell both as well... not specific "liquor stores" but selling all sorts of food etc. Also the cost of a bottle of whiskey or gin for example is likely to be less in a supermarket in Italy than in the Duty Free shops before flying to Italy... same thing goes for France (Switzerland too but for some strange reason no cruises start here...) However whiskey etc generally doesn't come in 1l bottles or bigger. I think the size is more like .75l

Hi All - my BF and I will be making our first O cruise shortly. He's NEVER cruised before, I've been on a couple of Disney's and a NCL. Can I bring my own hard liquor? I've seen a few older posts that say no problem, but wanted current info.

Thx!

With O's very reasonably priced Prestige Package ($60/day including 18% tip), you break even with just 2 glasses of better wines at lunch and then at dinner OR four to five "call" cocktails (or some combo of the two.

As for bringing "spirits" on board, might I suggest small (several oz.) containers of unusual cocktail spirit ingredients not carried in the bars? For example: Absinthe for a Sazerac; Creme de Violette and Maraschino Liquer for an Aviation, etc., in very small amounts can turn a bartender's basic custom mixology into a true classic.

If sailing from an Italian port - someone mentioned Venice - to buy wine or spirits before boarding just go to a supermarket. They sell both in Italy. There are also little shops all over the place in Italian towns that sell both as well... not specific "liquor stores" but selling all sorts of food etc. Also the cost of a bottle of whiskey or gin for example is likely to be less in a supermarket in Italy than in the Duty Free shops before flying to Italy... same thing goes for France (Switzerland too but for some strange reason no cruises start here...) However whiskey etc generally doesn't come in 1l bottles or bigger. I think the size is more like .75l

Oh but you are wrong! Rhine cruises start from Basle:D

Actually there are several spellings of the city as it is near the linguistic border.

Basle is the usual English spelling. Basel is German and Bale (Sorry I can't put the accent above the a) is French, Basilea is Romanish.

As long as you get to the ship it doesn't matter!

Savings on wine in Australia and NZ are not great, but prices one can purchase incredible wines for in Europe is often half to a third of US prices. We often purchase wine pre cruise in Europe to take aboard to enjoy with the great meals in the Specialties. If one is going to enjoy a great wine they paid $60 for locally, that may cost $130 in the States (retail) and $250 for similar quality on board, paying the corkage fee is cheap. Also we have set up, via the roll calls, wine dinners for 8-10 in the Privee where we were not charged corkage, it was part of the room fee. Some spectacular wines have been shared there with new found fellow wine lovers!

Savings on wine in Australia and NZ are not great, but prices one can purchase incredible wines for in Europe is often half to a third of US prices. We often purchase wine pre cruise in Europe to take aboard to enjoy with the great meals in the Specialties. If one is going to enjoy a great wine they paid $60 for locally, that may cost $130 in the States (retail) and $250 for similar quality on board, paying the corkage fee is cheap. Also we have set up, via the roll calls, wine dinners for 8-10 in the Privee where we were not charged corkage, it was part of the room fee. Some spectacular wines have been shared there with new found fellow wine lovers!

Thanks for the idea pinotlover. I may need to repack my wine suitcase with a "special" wine or two instead of my standard fare. Who knows? We might find another wine lover or two on our cruise.

So can I clarify, Oceania allows you to bring wine on board? Can I open wine in my suite if I have bought it at vineyards during the tour?
Yes, and yes. And, you can take it to dinner and have it served to you if you pay the corkage fee (there is no fee for consumption in your cabin). You should ask the room steward for appropriate wine glasses; I believe there is a corkscrew in the refrigerator.

Furthermore, if you enjoy a nightcap or an aperitif in your cabin, you may bring aboard any other liquor or spirits you desire, in any quantity. My wife enjoys bringing back a local beer, then carries some pizza or other goodies back to the cabin for lunch and a movie on sea days.

Wow, Oceania is sure different from other lower premium lines as Celebrity and Holland America. I am looking forward to visiting a few vinyards on my Oceania cruise and now I can be comfortable in the knowledge that I can bring a bottle or two on board to enjoy!

You're in for a treat, most past Oceania guests consider Oceania to be a step up from Celebrity or HAL. Oceania calls themselves "Upper Premium" and many call it "Luxury Lite".

Guess it's time for me to chime in....

Yes, we take a case of wine on every cruise that is departing from a US port or from a port anywhere in the world where there are no egregious customs fees to get it into that country (Canada is an example where one cannot bring in wine legally without a potential 150% of value customs).

Using the WineCheck with a styrofoam insert has worked literally around the world on every airline I can think of - checked as luggage. Yes, we do dispose of the insert when it gets compromised and replace it with a fresh one. We have lots of those in the basement from wine that has been shipped to us.

We did however purchase the luggage type case in the past couple of days since it appears easier to roll through airports and as we become more mature :) that looks like a good idea.

Oceania has never once questioned our behavior and I expect that to continue. In Australia (with Goldman) we brought on 18 bottles for a 32 day cruise and purchased more along the way. We are happy to add a $25 corkage fee to a bottle worth $50-75 retail that would run you $150-200 off the ship's wine list - if it could be found at all.

Finally, we don't ship our older Bordeaux and Burgundies as those are being harbored for our own special occasions and a cruise just doesn't fit that description. But 10 year old CA Cabs, OR Pinot Noirs and fine Brunellos do fulfill that niche quite nicely. We always share a pour with the Somm and sometimes with the restaurant manager in the Specialties. They appreciate it and provide great service but I don't recall ever having the corkage waived, nor would we expect it.

mjobtx - I'll be in touch privately!

Hi John - best to Paula!

well comea time.... when Imoved to Hawaii ant is was 28 yearoldf Heitz Marthas 1974 bought from joe Heitz got $500 for2....sold for $7500 and a case of Cayms special Select 1991.. 3000. .... it would NOT survive in Hawaii..

ANd beside I have had many Boredeaux sPomerol earily 60's a and realize thatafter a few moment's of enjoyment... the kidneys takeover...Too your pooably agood sort.... but would you want to share bottls that fcost over n$3000 a pop

friend ship onlu goes so far... and reality. Most of my wines now start at

.... current cellar is rich in 82-@011 Pomrel

well comea time.... when Imoved to Hawaii ant is was 28 yearoldf Heitz Marthas 1974 bought from joe Heitz got $500 for2....sold for $7500 and a case of Cayms special Select 1991.. 3000. .... it would NOT survive in Hawaii..

ANd beside I have had many Boredeaux sPomerol earily 60's a and realize thatafter a few moment's of enjoyment... the kidneys takeover...Too your pooably agood sort.... but would you want to share bottls that fcost over n$3000 a pop

friend ship onlu goes so far... and reality. Most of my wines now start at

.... current cellar is rich in 82-@011 Pomrel

I am at a loss for words.