Elegant night - Marine dress blues?

Fivehole

Is it appropriate for my Marine son to wear his dress blues on Elegant night? Would love to get a family picture with him in his "blues".

Appropriate? Hell, yes. I've seen many officers and senior enlisted in dress uniforms at formal night, even a few Highland regimental officers of the British Army. Just make sure its the Dress Blue Bravos (ribbons, not medals). I don't think Mess Dress is authorized.

I would imagine your son would be the best person to ask this question to, as he should know the answer. Have him look through the appropriate reg to know for sure.

Dress Blue Bravos are authorized for leave, so they are authorized for this use. Dress Blue is equivalent to "black tie".

We have done two family cruises and our son took his dress blues on the first trip. It was very impressive and there were many additional military members in theirs. He got many handshakes, "thank you", and free drinks. The family photos are special for many reasons; not the least is him being in uniform.

The second cruise he asked if I wanted him to bring them. I said it was up to him as I knew what a pain it was on the first trip. He did not bring it and I was fine with that.

Dress Blue Bravos are authorized for leave, so they are authorized for this use. Dress Blue is equivalent to "black tie".

My hope is is that the kid will take the time to go through the reg. It's better to know the answet and what reg it comes from, and not just for dress and appearance.

Is it appropriate for my Marine son to wear his dress blues on Elegant night? Would love to get a family picture with him in his "blues".

I would absolutely think so! And proudly! When my 1st daughter was married, he brought 5 of his buddies home and they were all in dress blues and walked all the Bridesmaids down the aisle, and then all stood at attention during the ceremony. He wore them again at my other daughters wedding and both times walked me down the aisle. Very memorable. Do thank him for his service and God Bless ..... and also best of luck to your twin daughters!

My hope is is that the kid will take the time to go through the reg. It's better to know the answet and what reg it comes from, and not just for dress and appearance.

According to USMC Uniform Regulation: MCO P1020.G34, chapter 2, par 2002:

" The blue dress "B" uniform may be worn for parades, ceremonies, informal social functions, for NCOs and below throughout the year and for officers and SNCOs as appropriate to the season or those occasions requiring uniformity with NCOs and below" (bolding mine)

The main restriction with wearing of dress uniforms comes with the Dress Blue Alpha, Evening Dress, and dress uniforms worn by retired or former Marines.

According to USMC Uniform Regulation: MCO P1020.G34, chapter 2, par 2002:

" The blue dress "B" uniform may be worn for parades, ceremonies, informal social functions, for NCOs and below throughout the year and for officers and SNCOs as appropriate to the season or those occasions requiring uniformity with NCOs and below" (bolding mine)

The main restriction with wearing of dress uniforms comes with the Dress Blue Alpha, Evening Dress, and dress uniforms worn by retired or former Marines.

Again, I am not questioning this. I am only stating, as a former NCO, that it is good habit that troops get in the habit of knowing not just that they can do something, but where to find the reference that states they can. I'm glad you were able to Google the reg. I was simply trying to pass along a little bit of advice.