Many missed NCL Sun sailing today

DAllenTCY

Flights into San Diego were diverted to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Ontario, Phoenix, etc. Some were able to rent cars, take shuttles or taxis and make it on time. A few flights stopped to refuel, and arrived late. The pier shut down at 5 pm, so the ship could sail at 6 pm.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/04/bankers-hill-apartment-active-shooter-rifle/

Just another good reason to purchase cruise insurance.

David

An even better reason to arrive the day before and pay for a hotel for one night.

Mike

I so agree. We did that once and it was so stressful...never again. We stay at a hotel close to the pier....get on early and relax :)

I feel bad for those that missed the cruise. Maybe they can get the airline to pay for a flight and catch it at the next port? Even if you had trip insurance that would be your option as well.

An even better reason to arrive the day before and pay for a hotel for one night.

Mike

Absolutely. I would not dream of flying in the same day. Sometimes I would even fly in a few days early and have a mini vacation before the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i agree. It is too stressful to fly in the day of the cruise. We only did it once from Phoenix to Los Angeles. We took a very early flight and got there very early but it was still stressful.

I do feel bad for those that missed she ship. Thank goodness no officers or innocent bystanders were hurt in the incident.

Surely no one travels these days without travel insurance. Especially anyone from outside the USA travelling to the USA.

Fully comprehensive travel insurance costs us about $1500 a year here in New Zealand but we wouldn't travel without it.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

49erfan007 If you don't have insurance you are on your own. There are also some really good Visa cards that offer some protection so one may get some compensation if you used that card to pay. Thankfully I have never been in that position. Gets to be a really expensive lesson I don't wish on anyone. Go Seahawks :)

Unless you absolutely can't get and extra day off I always wonder why anyone wouldn't come in a day before?????????? SanDiego is a great place to see before the cruise along with alot of the other cruiseports.

Being a 17 nighter to South America, one would think the seasoned cruisers would arrive ahead of embarkation (unless ... they are using NCL Air) & managed to make their way to the pier.

Any idea of how many pax might be affected by the "ground stop" in place at the airport - a quick check of flight tracking apps showing 30 flights cancelled & 30 diverted :(

What a bummer - even with trip interrupton insurance, ship will be at sea for 4 days before its first port stop - with time to make the arrangements ...

Edited by mking8288

Surely no one travels these days without travel insurance. Especially anyone from outside the USA travelling to the USA.

Fully comprehensive travel insurance costs us about $1500 a year here in New Zealand but we wouldn't travel without it.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

You would be surprised how many travel without insurance. I've seen it mentioned on these forums a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a bummer - even with trip interrupton insurance, ship will be at sea for 4 days before its first port stop - with time to make the arrangements ...

They may well need time to make arrangements. Getting from San Diego to Huatulco is NOT easy (nor probably cheap). Probably 9 hours in the air and via Los Angeles and Mexico City. With only a small number of flights each day. :eek:

Good luck to the poor people who have had their holiday badly affected.

Mike

Flights into San Diego were diverted to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Ontario, Phoenix, etc. Some were able to rent cars, take shuttles or taxis and make it on time. A few flights stopped to refuel, and arrived late. The pier shut down at 5 pm, so the ship could sail at 6 pm.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/04/bankers-hill-apartment-active-shooter-rifle/

Just another good reason to purchase cruise insurance.

David

Oh go the day before

Just curious, what if you'd booked your air thru' NCL? They'd have to make the changes to get you to the next port, right ?

I am not a lawyer but I would doubt that. It was not their fault that you arrived too late to join the cruise. They just facilitated your booking but did not guarantee the flight timings.

Had you booked through a TA would you expect them to do that? Again they facilitated the booking but didn't guarantee the timings.

If it were the fault of the airline you would expect them, possibly, to sort it out but I doubt it as it wasn't their fault. They would have done their part in getting you to your destination even if late. I guess that they would have a penalty sum to pay for getting you there late but that would be all.

The "fault" lies with the San Diego Authority, the San Diego Airport Authority or the San Diego Police in closing the airport. Try claiming off them!!! "Public Safety" so I doubt if you would get anywhere there.

Good luck to those who were caught up in this incident but I think that they would have to claim on their own insurance.

Mike

Mike

yep, I don't know why people are willing to spend a couple grand just for the price of a cruise and are not willing to pay a $100 or so for insurance and another $150 for a hotel room? I would never travel without both travel insurance and arriving the day prior. How sad for those who have to now find a way to pick up the ship or lose their entire cost of the cruise as well as their dream for a nice vacation.

Not everyone has the option to fly in the day before due to work or family commitments. In all my cruises out of Miami I have flown in on the early morning non-stop flight from St Louis. Never once had an issue.

I'm also one who has never bought the insurance. For as many times as I have traveled and cruised if I did have to pay for a flight to catch up to the ship I still would be ahead of what I would have paid for insurance over the years.

If it was an overseas flight or cruise then that would be a whole different story.

I guess it just basically boils down to ones tolerance for risk in your own travel circumstances.

Diverting flights was a gross over reaction in my opinion. It is terrible that some missed the cruise because of a lone gunman.

Unless I misread it, the gunman was under the flight path of the aircraft arriving at SAN. He was during that time, taking random shots at persons and property around him. Because of the hills approaching SAN runway, the aircraft are at best 3 or 4 hundred feet over the buildings, including the one he was in or on. No way in the world would an aircraft, knowing the situation, would consider "taking a chance" and fly" over the gunman. SAN is already one of the most physically difficult airports to land at.

I have never purchased insurance but now I am thinking about it.

I agree that I would never fly in the day of the cruise but I don't fly anyway. I drive and arrive days early as my Mom is within 3 hours of the Florida ports. Not everyone has the luxury of time so I could see how arriving the day of is sometimes necessary.

Unless I misread it, the gunman was under the flight path of the aircraft arriving at SAN. He was during that time, taking random shots at persons and property around him. Because of the hills approaching SAN runway, the aircraft are at best 3 or 4 hundred feet over the buildings, including the one he was in or on. No way in the world would an aircraft, knowing the situation, would consider "taking a chance" and fly" over the gunman. SAN is already one of the most physically difficult airports to land at.

Absolutely right. When you are flying in to SAN it looks like you could reach out and touch the buildings.