BVE Check-in at FLL

RMM34667

Printed my guests boarding pass for their BVE on the Regal 11/8. I was surprised that it did not indicate Priority Boarding at the top. They will arrive at the pier hours before we do so I can't direct them to the Priority.

I am surprised at this. When I booked it Princess did tell me they should arrive at 11:30 and proceed to the priority check in. I told my friends to find the priority line and not to let anyone direct them elsewhere. I hope they can get on at the correct time to enjoy the full experience.

Last time we did this (2012) they waited outside for us to arrive, then no one in the terminal seemed to know what BVE was. Hopefully this time will be smoother than then.

I would strongly recommend they arrive earlier than 11.30. In many cases, regular boarding has already begun by then and they won't want to get caught up in that mess. I'd shoot for 10.30 myself; I'd rather be way early and occupy myself with a book than risk getting all mixed up with sailing pax trying to board. And the shoreside staff will be less stressed, plus, worst case, if they run into someone working there with no clue what the BVE is, there's still time to have them find a supervisor and get it sorted out.

I would strongly recommend they arrive earlier than 11.30. In many cases, regular boarding has already begun by then and they won't want to get caught up in that mess. I'd shoot for 10.30 myself; I'd rather be way early and occupy myself with a book than risk getting all mixed up with sailing pax trying to board. And the shoreside staff will be less stressed, plus, worst case, if they run into someone working there with no clue what the BVE is, there's still time to have them find a supervisor and get it sorted out.

Wow thanks for that info. I will tell them to go even earlier. Luckily they live 10 minutes from the port.

Good advice. We departed on the Royal Princess last month. At 11:10 when they finally opened the door the line for priority boarding was so long I couldn't see the end. We had arrived at 10:45 and didn't get into the building until 11:20. At that time they still hadn't opened the door for the 'regular' boarding.

what is BVE?

Bon Voyage Experience.

From the Princess web site (http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp)

The Bon Voyage Experience is an innovative new program harkening back to the nostalgic tradition from the early days of cruising, allowing guests the opportunity to invite family and friends aboard your ship on embarkation day. The program's new twist also allows cruisers new to Princess to see the inside of a Princess ship and experience the excitement of cruising first-hand -- even if they're not affiliated with booked guests.

Guests will spend up to four hours onboard before the ship sets sail, where they'll enjoy a four-course dining room lunch (including wine), a guided ship tour, and a souvenir photo! Plus, the $39 per person cost of the program can be applied toward a future cruise with Princess. Only 50 guests are able to participate in the Bon Voyage Experience on any given embarkation day, so make sure you make your reservations soon!

To learn more about Bon Voyage Experience reservations and availability near you, please contact your Travel Consultant or call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) as long as it is not within 7 days of sailing.

Geez, not sure how much of this "priority" stuff is just smoke and mirrors. We recently (last 2 weeks) were on the Regal and embarked at NYC and debarked at Port Everglades. As Elite we are entitled to priority at both ends. When we arrived at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (at 11:50 am) we were hours ahead of our "suggested" arrival time. The initial security line is a single line process (no priority) and we quickly cleared the basic security process. As this point a worker started to direct us to the Priority queue but we mentioned that the regular (non-priority) queue was nearly empty while the Priority line was packed with folks. So we just walked to the non-priority line and were immediately checked-in while those in the Priority Line continued to wait their turn. I suspect we were already aboard the ship and in our cabin while those in the Priority Line were still patiently waiting their "Priority" turn. In the past we have seen the same situation in Port Everglades and actually recall a lady saying something like "I earned the right to be Priority and will not go in a regular line." Go Figure.

And by the way, we were able to escape a long Passport/Customs line in Port Everglades (debarkation) because both DW and I have "Global Entry" clearance. They are currently experimenting with Global Entry at the port and it can be a beautiful thing :). Obtaining Global Entry is somewhat of a pain (and costs $100) but does pay dividends at many airports. And now we get some benefit at cruise ports.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

And by the way, we were able to escape a long Passport/Customs line in Port Everglades (debarkation) because both DW and I have "Global Entry" clearance. They are currently experimenting with Global Entry at the port and it can be a beautiful thing :). Obtaining Global Entry is somewhat of a pain (and costs $100) but does pay dividends at many airports. And now we get some benefit at cruise ports.

Hank

It's not an experiment any longer. According to post 39 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274908 it is here to stay at Port Everglades.

Have them arrive at 10:30. As they enter the terminal they will just let the person directing people that they are BVE guests. They will be checked in and directed to sit in the area for BVE, boarding right after any wedding parties, before priority guests. BVE has their own area.

On a side note, they are allowed to each bring on a bottle of wine (yes, you are reading this right), which they can leave with you. :)

Edited by janetz

Have them arrive at 10:30. As they enter the terminal they will just let the person directing people that they are BVE guests. They will be checked in and directed to sit in the area for BVE, boarding right after any wedding parties, before priority guests. BVE has their own area.

On a side note, they are allowed to each bring on a bottle of wine (yes, you are reading this right), which they can leave with you. :)

Thank you. I will have them go earlier. Especially with all the talk of the Boat Show going on this upcoming weekend. Sounds like there will be quite a bit of traffic.

They are bring a Bottle of Moscato for mom (as they do not sell by the bottle onboard) and a bottle of Champagne for us to enjoy with the "Deluxe Canapés" I ordered for sail away!

3 days to go. To excited to work!

I know that you said that your guests are arriving hours before you so I'm not sure if you are aware but you can board when they do if you can get to pier earlier. This would maximize you time with your guests and give you an early start to your vacation.

I know that you said that your guests are arriving hours before you so I'm not sure if you are aware but you can board when they do if you can get to pier earlier. This would maximize you time with your guests and give you an early start to your vacation.

This is what we did. It was very nice to board early. Headed right to the spa to book the Enclave. ;)

I would really love to. We are driving over from north of Tampa. It takes me 5 hours. I would be happy to leave at 5 am, but my 81 year old mother feels differently. I figure 7 am is a good compromise and does give us a few hours leeway for the unexpected.

Our guests have offered to put us up the night before, but she doesn't want to do that either. She hasn't been feeling well and I just want her comfortable and happy! :)