Anthem of the Seas: inaugural transatlantic -- my review (detailed by subject)

Turtles06

Jonathan, thank you so much for reading and for your very kind words.

There did not seem to be any sort of schedule that we could determine, which is why we tried to pop in there whenever we could.

PS: I just noticed your cruise history; I was on the Leonardo da Vinci in 1968, my very first cruise!

Vistarama%20city%20pano%201024x281_zpssmjsrblv.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Thanks Turtles06, we will make a point to spend some quality evening time at 270 waiting for one of those impromptu shows. I rather feel like we're setting out to meet the Great Pumpkin. ;)

I was just a young tike when I sailed the Leonardo da Vinci. I still have a framed picture of myself reaching up to shake hands with the captain.

Looking forward to the rest of your excellent review.

Jonathan

I've already said how much we loved North Star; I just want to share another photo. On our very first morning at sea, I'd gone up to Deck 15 pretty early to take my walk. But as I got out onto the deck, I saw the full moon shining behind North Star. (The full moon had risen the evening before during our sailaway, but it was pouring rain, so we could not see it then.) I ran back down to our cabin to grab my camera, hoping that I would not be too late to capture this image. Thankfully, I was not.

North%20Star%20amp%20full%20moon_zpsfs6upgoy.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I've already said how much we loved North Star; I just want to share another photo. On our very first morning at sea, I'd gone up to Deck 15 pretty early to take my walk. But as I got out onto the deck, I saw the full moon shining behind North Star. (The full moon had risen the evening before during our sailaway, but it was pouring rain, so we could not see it then.) I ran back down to our cabin to grab my camera, hoping that I would not be too late to capture this image. Thankfully, I was not.

North%20Star%20amp%20full%20moon_zpsfs6upgoy.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Beautiful photo!

WOW bands

WOW%20band_zpsisttx0ti.jpg

Guests currently on Anthem are reporting that RCI is now charging $4.99 for the WOW bands. I think this is unfortunate; it's pretty pricey to sail on Anthem as it is, and RCI touts all the new technology as one of the draws of this ship. A charge of $4.99 seems to be nickel and diming.

We found the band to be very useful when swimming or going to the gym; no need to carry our sea pass cards. And that was on a cold-weather crossing, where there wasn't all that much swimming going on. :) I imagine that on warmer itineraries, the bands would be even handier. It's also much easier to open the cabin door with the band, especially when you are carrying something; no need to fish around in your pocket for a card.

But because servers in the restaurants and theatres, as well as bartenders, do not have readers for the bands (or sea pass cards), you have to take your band off and hand it over to order a drink (just as you have to hand your card over). That sort of defeats the purpose of the band.

Looking at it from RCI's perspective, perhaps RCI has found that many people are not using the bands, and has decided it's a big waste of money to give them to everyone, only to go unused by many. I have no idea whether that is the case. But RCI has not fully committed to the technology, either, by failing to provide readers to all staff who are taking drink orders, etc.

It seems as though those of us on the TA got the last "complimentary" WOW bands. WOW.

Would we buy them? I'm glad we did not have to make that decision. And I'm very glad we did not have to stand on line at Guest Services to get one, free or otherwise. GS was a total zoo the first few days of the crossing.

Edited by Turtles06

Readers, I think I've covered all the major points, but please feel free to ask any questions.

One that my spouse and I have asked ourselves is this -- would we sail on Anthem again? Going into this, we were pretty certain this would be a one off for us. We like to be more connected to the water than mega-ships allow, and we thought the ship might well be too big for us. We booked the TA because the itinerary suited us, and because we thought it would be very interesting to sail on a new ship and in fact to try out a big ship when few kids would be aboard, figuring we'd probably never sail on one again.

Frankly, we were surprised at just how much we enjoyed Anthem (putting aside the food and food service issues). So would we sail on her again? We certainly wouldn't rule it out, but we probably wouldn't pick an itinerary or a time that drew a lot of kids. I think it would be too much of a zoo for us. So maybe that fall Canada itinerary, eh? :)

THE END

Gigis%20butt%201024x937_zps98mlfvwm.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Thanks for your review. All your information was very helpful.

We will be sailing the Anthem shortly and are in a junior suite. Just wondering if you're expected to tip extra for dining in Coastal Kitchen?

Thanks for the kind words.

This was our first time on RCI and obviously our first time eating at CK; changing cabins all happened so fast before we sailed . . . So I don't know if anything is expected, but when they gave us a $0 chit at the end of the meals (my spouse had ordered wine, but she had a beverage pkg, so no charge), she added a small tip (we like to do that when we've gotten great service, despite the included gratuity).

Have a great time!

Edited by Turtles06

Thanks for your review. All your information was very helpful.

We will be sailing the Anthem shortly and are in a junior suite. Just wondering if you're expected to tip extra for dining in Coastal Kitchen?

FWIW, when we ate at coastal kitchen on quantum, we were never given any slips or anything (probably because we mostly drank water), so after our last meal there, we just thanked our server and handed her some cash, as well as the servers who had served us at some of our other meals. there only seemed to be 2 or 3 main servers and a couple of assistants, so they weren't hard to track down. :) despite the small staff, service was wonderful, and i'm really hoping some of the former quantum staff came over to anthem.

Not sure if this was already asked but do you need reservations for roller skating, trapeze or the bumper cars ?

You just line up for bumper cars (and the line can be quite long); I'm not certain about roller skating, but I'm pretty sure it's also just show up. I don't know about the trapeze, as far more fewer people can do that.

If you don't get an answer in advance, you should go up to the Seaplex when you board and ask the folks there.

FWIW, when we ate at coastal kitchen on quantum, we were never given any slips or anything (probably because we mostly drank water), so after our last meal there, we just thanked our server and handed her some cash, as well as the servers who had served us at some of our other meals. there only seemed to be 2 or 3 main servers and a couple of assistants, so they weren't hard to track down. :) despite the small staff, service was wonderful, and i'm really hoping some of the former quantum staff came over to anthem.

Definitely wonderful service at CK on Anthem. It was, as I noted above, a terrific "perk" of our last minute decision to upgrade to a spa junior suite (and one I was not expecting).

The harried service in a number of the "complmentary" restaurants made CK even better. I sure hope things are improving in those venues.

• 1 month later...

Unbelievably beautiful review! I got goose bumps while looking at some of your pictures! Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with us! We will be sailing shortly and you have already made it a worth while trip! Can't wait to go to Deck 15, 270, the shows and the pools, so excited! Your pictures are superb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unbelievably beautiful review! I got goose bumps while looking at some of your pictures! Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with us! We will be sailing shortly and you have already made it a worth while trip! Can't wait to go to Deck 15, 270, the shows and the pools, so excited! Your pictures are superb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your very kind words! I hope that you have a wonderful cruise!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

OP thanks for your review. i'm starting my research of the anthem for an end of 2017 cruise. i wish they had 7 days in bermuda but they dont

so i may do 7 days for bahamas even though i didnt like that itinerary on the Breakaway 2 months ago. this ship seems MUCH more built for the cold weather and your pictures of the indoor spaces have swayed me. i was deciding between the BA and possibly even the carnival pride. this ship is about 500 more than pride but it seems worth it solely based on your pics

i have much research to do because i did love the speciality dining on BA and as much as people complain about NCL nickel and diming, when u compare to other ships like carnival (where nothing is included as a perk), the BA was a pretty good deal financially. in warm weather at least.

i'm gonna celebrate my 50th on some ship. just need some guidance as to which one.

Question regarding check in Bayonne for Anthem, if only one of the passengers in the same cabin is able to upload a photo, how is check in handled? What type of photo is acceptable -- can you just take a photo of your passport photo and use that?

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

Question regarding check in Bayonne for Anthem, if only one of the passengers in the same cabin is able to upload a photo, how is check in handled? What type of photo is acceptable -- can you just take a photo of your passport photo and use that?

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

They will take a photo at check-in.

What type of photo is acceptable -- can you just take a photo of your passport photo and use that?

No. The online check- in process provides guidance on the photo but as Bob mentioned they can take it at the pier and only adds a few seconds to the process.