Celebrity Summit

Jack1776

On October 18th, 2015 our family sailed aboard the Celebrity Summit. Both my wife and I have cruised many times before, but this was the first time with Celebrity. And for the first time since World War II, my father-in-law Charlie boarded a ship to head on the high seas. The Summit is a very different ship than the USS Wren (DD-568) of his youth. At 90 years of age, he is in excellent physical condition and walks without a cane or any physical assistance. But mild dementia has taken away his ability to focus and remember many of the day to day details of life. This came to light on embarkation day when after having lunch we headed to our cabins to unpack and rest before the safety muster. When the announcement came that the safety muster would be in 15 minutes, my wife and I went to my father-in-law’s cabin only to find that he had wandered off. Frightened and worried we headed to the Customer Service desk to report our lost senior. We spoke with Ashley, the Captain’s Club agent and the only person there during the safety drill. Ashley immediately organized an all ship search for Charlie, contacting security personnel, calling up to the Ocean View buffet and other locations where people might congregate. Charlie was soon found and taken to his muster station where we joined him. Ashley’s acts in our time of worry and concern were honorable and heroic, and we are deeply touched by her kindness and understanding.

But this would not be the last act of compassion by the good crew of the Celebrity Summit. The security staff gave Charlie a wrist band that indicated his muster station and flagged Charlie’s key card so he could not leave the ship without one of us accompanying him. These acts gave us great reassurance regarding Charlie’s safety aboard the Summit and a peace of mind that made our vacation much more enjoyable.

At another point, Charlie lost his wallet and his cabin steward Sydney personally searched Charlie’s room and found the missing wallet. Beyond this, Sydney kept a close eye on Charlie during our voyage which gave my wife (Charlie’s daughter) and me great comfort.

I cannot say enough good words about the Captain and crew of the Celebrity Summit and their tireless work to watch over our loved one and make our cruise enjoyable and restful.

Hi Jack, what a heartwarming post:).....so glad the staff helped you, your

wife and especially Charlie. I lost my Dad 4 years ago (end stage

dimentia) and it can be horrible for all involved.:(

Again, so happy to read you had a good outcome.

...... We spoke with Ashley, the Captain’s Club agent and the only person there during the safety drill. Ashley immediately organized an all ship search for Charlie, contacting security personnel, calling up to the Ocean View buffet and other locations where people might congregate. Charlie was soon found and taken to his muster station where we joined him. Ashley’s acts in our time of worry and concern were honorable and heroic, and we are deeply touched by her kindness and understanding.....

I'm not at all surprised to read this as it is typical of Ashley.

She is wonderful to everyone, a very caring and compassionate person.

Celebrity is lucky to have her, and we are the lucky ones when we get to go on a cruise where she is the Captain's Club hostess.

We were also on that cruise and thought the staff was fantastic.

We found the crew to be a wonderfully happy and accommodating group of people. Always smiling and saying hello! Being around a great crew is the difference between a good cruise and a great cruise.

I am so happy to hear that your father-in-law was so well cared for on this wonderful ship!

On October 18th, 2015 our family sailed aboard the Celebrity Summit. Both my wife and I have cruised many times before, but this was the first time with Celebrity. And for the first time since World War II, my father-in-law Charlie boarded a ship to head on the high seas. The Summit is a very different ship than the USS Wren (DD-568) of his youth. At 90 years of age, he is in excellent physical condition and walks without a cane or any physical assistance. But mild dementia has taken away his ability to focus and remember many of the day to day details of life. This came to light on embarkation day when after having lunch we headed to our cabins to unpack and rest before the safety muster. When the announcement came that the safety muster would be in 15 minutes, my wife and I went to my father-in-law’s cabin only to find that he had wandered off. Frightened and worried we headed to the Customer Service desk to report our lost senior. We spoke with Ashley, the Captain’s Club agent and the only person there during the safety drill. Ashley immediately organized an all ship search for Charlie, contacting security personnel, calling up to the Ocean View buffet and other locations where people might congregate. Charlie was soon found and taken to his muster station where we joined him. Ashley’s acts in our time of worry and concern were honorable and heroic, and we are deeply touched by her kindness and understanding.

But this would not be the last act of compassion by the good crew of the Celebrity Summit. The security staff gave Charlie a wrist band that indicated his muster station and flagged Charlie’s key card so he could not leave the ship without one of us accompanying him. These acts gave us great reassurance regarding Charlie’s safety aboard the Summit and a peace of mind that made our vacation much more enjoyable.

At another point, Charlie lost his wallet and his cabin steward Sydney personally searched Charlie’s room and found the missing wallet. Beyond this, Sydney kept a close eye on Charlie during our voyage which gave my wife (Charlie’s daughter) and me great comfort.

I cannot say enough good words about the Captain and crew of the Celebrity Summit and their tireless work to watch over our loved one and make our cruise enjoyable and restful.

We were on this cruise too. You are absolutely correct about Ashley. Although we had many spectacular moments on this cruise and the next( we did B2B), Ashley was a real highlight. She is a real gem. I am glad that she and all the other crew members were there for you.

Edited by existentialtraveler

Lois, tell Ashley Anne Maria & Frank Tamborino said hi.

Have you see Maurice the Moose around? Is Dewa still at the Martini Bar?

Have a wonderful time. Hope everything is terrific.

Anne Maria...I believe the Moose is for Canada/New England only:)

I will pass on your hello to Ashley. Dewa? Short guy? I used to be great with names...but that one is not ringing a bell.

• 1 month later...
Maurice is still on the ship. Someone just posted photos on FB with him.

Maurice is alive and well on the Summit. I had him on Dec. 8th and he spent the day touring around Martinique with us. He sleeps at night in the Martini Bar (Deck 4) and whoever gets him first has him for the week.

But remember, he has to be returned to the Martini Bar at bedtime :)

btw, I was told he had a social media page but I cannot find it to post the pics. Does anyone know what it may be?

So glad you posted this.

When my mother was in a similar state as your Dad she said one day that she had always wanted to visit Paris.....We took her, it was hard work, terrified of loosing her on the Metro! We did, however, have a wonderful (last holiday) with her.

Hopefully your story will enable others to consider if a cruise vacation for their older parents, with significant challenges, may be viable. The practical wrist band and card restrictions are such obvious safety features but not ones we were aware of.

Happy cruising!