Warning - When your cabin-mate cancels

niborHS

As I am reading these thread post-cruise, I realized that there was something that happened that people should be made aware of. We were a group of women, each who booked individually, 2 to a cabin. One of the women was injured at work 10 days before we left, so had to cancel. Although she got an e-mail cancelling her reservation, NCL cancelled the entire cabin. For some reason the one who was staying called the night before, and was told she didn't have a reservation any more. They claimed on the phone that her reservation was reinstated, but when she got to the pier she had all kinds of problems getting to board. They did not have her reservation, so she had to sit in a room for problem people and wait. It put a damper on the whole trip for her. She also had a problem getting the free-style perk reinstated, and she had pre-paid for airport transfers back to Miami, and she didn't get that (which turned out to be a good thing). All in all, it was not handled properly.

Another thing to note, NCL does not let anyone board who is more than 24 weeks pregnant. A young couple arrived at the port, the husband surprising his wife with the cruise, only to be turned away because she was 26 weeks. I am sure there is something in the literature about this, but he obviously didn't pay attention.

As I am reading these thread post-cruise, I realized that there was something that happened that people should be made aware of. We were a group of women, each who booked individually, 2 to a cabin. One of the women was injured at work 10 days before we left, so had to cancel. Although she got an e-mail cancelling her reservation, NCL cancelled the entire cabin. For some reason the one who was staying called the night before, and was told she didn't have a reservation any more. They claimed on the phone that her reservation was reinstated, but when she got to the pier she had all kinds of problems getting to board. They did not have her reservation, so she had to sit in a room for problem people and wait. It put a damper on the whole trip for her. She also had a problem getting the free-style perk reinstated, and she had pre-paid for airport transfers back to Miami, and she didn't get that (which turned out to be a good thing). All in all, it was not handled properly.

Another thing to note, NCL does not let anyone board who is more than 24 weeks pregnant. A young couple arrived at the port, the husband surprising his wife with the cruise, only to be turned away because she was 26 weeks. I am sure there is something in the literature about this, but he obviously didn't pay attention.

Good info, especially on the room cancellation. Yes, the 24 week rule is on the website and it sucks that hubby didn't know that. I hope that he got an E for effort.:)

.......Another thing to note, NCL does not let anyone board who is more than 24 weeks pregnant. A young couple arrived at the port, the husband surprising his wife with the cruise, only to be turned away because she was 26 weeks. I am sure there is something in the literature about this, but he obviously didn't pay attention.

Yes, that info is right there in the Frequently Asked Questions section.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#pregnancy

Ah, to be young and foolish again… Maybe they gave him a 100% cruise credit to be used within 9 months, and when they show up at the pier for that cruise with their less-than-6-month-old infant, they can get turned away again :eek: Edited by hawkeyetlse

Your travelling companion erred in cancelling. You really can't cancel a person, only the reservation...which affects everyone on the reservation.

The correct thing to do...especially 10 days out...would have been for her to stay at home as a no-show. Cancelling one person essentially makes the other person solo, so they would be subject to paying double. This would end up costing more (if the cancelling person lost their money for cancelling too close to sailing) or being break-even at best (if the cancelling person would be reimbursed through insurance).

Yes...the pregnancy thing IS posted on the website, and it is also spelled out in the Guest Ticket Contract. FWIW...you not only need to be less than 24 weeks, but you also need to have paperwork from your doctor attesting to that fact....they won't take someone's word for it.

Only slightly off-topic. My mom became pregnant with me in 1953 when she and my dad were stationed in Okinawa with the Air Force. She used to tell the story about how the military was not going to let her sail back to the States because she was too far advanced in the pregnancy. My mom told the doctor that there was no way her child was going to be born in Okinawa, so they finally let her sail. I was born in Illinois.

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That is awful, what a horrible way to start a cruise. I am guessing the person who had to cancel was the first name of the reservation and she may not have explained it well to the agent. Just another reason to use a travel agent unless you are seasoned traveler and know exactly what you are doing.

As for the pregnant lady; yes, there is information in literature about this. All lines have similar policies. It is unfortunate the husband didn't think about how far along his wife was. I realize it is a horribl disappointment but the policy is a good one. Ship hospitals if that is what you want to call them are certainly not equipted to handle premature births and I doub many would want to deliver a baby in a foreign hospital.

Your travelling companion erred in cancelling. You really can't cancel a person, only the reservation...which affects everyone on the reservation.

The correct thing to do...especially 10 days out...would have been for her to stay at home as a no-show. Cancelling one person essentially makes the other person solo, so they would be subject to paying double. This would end up costing more (if the cancelling person lost their money for cancelling too close to sailing) or being break-even at best (if the cancelling person would be reimbursed through insurance).

Yes...the pregnancy thing IS posted on the website, and it is also spelled out in the Guest Ticket Contract. FWIW...you not only need to be less than 24 weeks, but you also need to have paperwork from your doctor attesting to that fact....they won't take someone's word for it.

How do they know if someone is pregnant ... I mean what if I was pregnant and just said I was not

How do they know if someone is pregnant ... I mean what if I was pregnant and just said I was not

By 24 weeks most people are showing.

Also, given limited medical access on a ship and in foreign ports, most parents to be would not opt to sail in their third trimester.

By 24 weeks most people are showing.

Also, given limited medical access on a ship and in foreign ports, most parents to be would not opt to sail in their third trimester.

I sure hope the boat does not make assumptions that people are pregnant just because they look pregnant

A few years back I kept going to the store around the corner from my house and the same little pregnant lady was there after a month or so I finally asked her when she was due and she told me 18 years ago ... And this lady straight up looked like she was 6-7 months pregnant -- I was mortified and was months before I showed my face in there again

And if someone made an assumption that I was pregnant because of my body shape and size and did it in public I would personally be mortified

Edited by bnorris10

Don't you think if you are past 24 weeks it would show? And yes, I am sure some women do come on ship past the time limit, but isn't that about as dishonest an stupid as things can get? Do you think coming on board in your 3rd trimester and not telling anyone is ok and is fair to the baby? Of course NCL isn't going to go up to every women who may look pregment and say, gee are you expecting a baby?

Edited by newmexicoNita

My friend was so upset about not being able to go, and was feeling so sick from the concussion, that I have no idea how she communicated this. I booked after them, so booked directly through NCL. They said they used a travel agent, but it might have been some kind of online travel service. I am not sure who she called. She was trying to get NCL to give her some kind of credit anyway, which I think she was really wrong about. Why would anyone want to take insurance if they gave everyone credit anyway? She was credited for port charges and the service charge on the unlimited dining package.

As far as insurance goes, you never know what is going to happen. We always took it when we took our kids on a cruise when they were young. We thought if one of them got sick, and we had to cancel, we had insurance. Well, my husband had a sever injury on a jetski while we were in St Marten. We got covered for all kinds of things. His ER visit in St Marten wasn't covered by our insurance because they don't code it properly. He also had co-pays at home for his survey and hospital stay that the travel insurance covered. Not to mention the 2 days of his trip that was cut short when he had to be med-evac'd back to NY. In case you are wondering, that was compliments of American Express Platinum. The cruise insurance will only cover to the nearest US city, which would have been Miami.

I think the more important question would be "What if you needed emergency medical care that couldn't be provided because you lied about the fact that you were pregnant?" What then?

Or..."What would happen if you got home and found out that your insurance company saw that you lied about being pregnant and used that as a reason to deny any claims that you had made?" What then?

The rules about pregnancy are there for the safety of the guest...and their unborn child. A lie (direct or by omission) only puts THEIR safety and health in danger.

Why risk it?