Please help!

Spring break in the US varies by region and whether you are talking high school and/or college. We already travel around our anniversary May 2nd and found quite by accident that it is after all the spring breaks and before schools let out for the summer.

I guess I will find out then! We always go away over March Break and then Oct/Nov.

People who have done this say the room stewards help with this and it is certainly easier than getting off and back on another ship.

Great! It seems that a lot of things are very similar whether it's Disney or RCL. I will take all the help I can get since I would be cruising alone with the boys for the 2nd leg.

We've done 10 Disney cruises, and ~30 on RCL. As for Freedom, we've never found it to feel crowded. Freedom compares most closely to Fantasy in size and capacity. Freedom is larger (160,000 GT vs 129,600GT)and has significantly more public space. Both Fantasy and Freedom sail each week with approximately the same number of passengers (~4,200). The pool deck on Freedom has a total of five pools (one's a "lazy river" circular pool in the kids splash zone), Even the smallest of the four regular pools is larger than the largest of Fantasy's pools. Add to that the FlowRider surf simulator on Deck 12, and the two cantilevered hot tubs, and there really is no comparison between the two ships. The splash zone is easily twice the size of the kids zone on Fantasy. To go from Freedom Class to Oasis Class is about the same jump in space and amenities as going from Fantasy to Freedom - add another 40,000GT, another 2,000 passengers and a few more pools, but still never a crowded feeling. For us, Fantasy never felt uncrowded.

Your info is great, thanks! Puts the size of the ships into perspective!

I did find the Fantasy a bit crowded, but only around the pool deck cause the pools are so small! I alway say the pools look like a can of sardines! I've only ever swam in the pools once, but my kids are like fish and can swim all day!

It's nice to know that the RCL ships have better, bigger pools since my kids enjoy them so much.

Thank you for your advice! Great advice!

Funny thing, we don't always go to the shows, but the ones on the Allure sound great and very different from Disney. I do love being able to relax and getting to know the ship without feeling rushed. The Allure is huge, so I'm sure I still won't see it all if I do the B2B.

On that note the show in the aquatheater is fun and amazing, you might enjoy seeing that one twice and a b2b increases your chance you will see it. (Its outside in the back of the ship and can be weather canceled.

On that note the show in the aquatheater is fun and amazing, you might enjoy seeing that one twice and a b2b increases your chance you will see it. (Its outside in the back of the ship and can be weather canceled.

Yes, the aft of the ship is so unique! I know my boys and myself would enjoy the shows. It is a bonus that we may be able to see them more then once!

I read I have to book the shows in advance?

Yes, the aft of the ship is so unique! I know my boys and myself would enjoy the shows. It is a bonus that we may be able to see them more then once!

I read I have to book the shows in advance?

Yes, just don't ask how far in advance! Kidding, the answer maybe changing on that one. On both of my 2 Allure cruises the shows were booked online between 60-30 days in advance. I hear reports that is changing. All I can tell you now is they are not available to reserve for my cruise that is due in 170 days.

Ok, technically HAVE to is not correct. Highly recommended is more accurate, especially for the aquatheater show we just talked about that one has more limited seats and as mentioned can be rescheduled. You can wait in line and walk into many shows, but this one you may not sit together, or be in the spashzone as a walk in.

Yes, just don't ask how far in advance! Kidding, the answer maybe changing on that one. On both of my 2 Allure cruises the shows were booked online between 60-30 days in advance. I hear reports that is changing. All I can tell you now is they are not available to reserve for my cruise that is due in 170 days.

Ok, technically HAVE to is not correct. Highly recommended is more accurate, especially for the aquatheater show we just talked about that one has more limited seats and as mentioned can be rescheduled. You can wait in line and walk into many shows, but this one you may not sit together, or be in the spashzone as a walk in.

Shows can be pre-booked on Alure but not Freedom.

OP is looking at March 2016 on Allure. I am traveling April 2016 on Allure and entertainment can be booked already (but not dining yet if on My Time).

I will take a look and figure it all out, thanks!

Shows can be pre-booked on Alure but not Freedom.

OP is looking at March 2016 on Allure. I am traveling April 2016 on Allure and entertainment can be booked already (but not dining yet if on My Time).

Do I have to be PIF in order to be able to book shows?

I think I'm going to do "My time dining" I believe that's what it's called. I want to do the one that I don't have a set time to eat. I don't normally eat in the dining room when I'm alone with kids.

When we sail with my DH and have "my time dining" do they seat us with another family or would we be seated alone?

I live in the Orlando area. When we cruise out of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) we leave our house at 6:30AM for the 3.5 hour drive. We want to make sure to give ourselves plenty of time for problems. If you come in on Freedom on the Sunday morning, even with self disembarkation, by the time you clear customs and rent a car, and get on your way, it will likely be closer to 9:30AM. For me, this would be WAY too stressful! If Freedom's arrival was delayed even a little (which is was for our son and daughter-in-law on their honeymoon - medical emergency - ship did not pull into port until 11AM. It was after 1Pm by the time they got off) you would be completely screwed.

Freedom is our favorite ship! A back to back will give you a lovely selection of ports. That would be my first choice if I were you!! :)

I did not read every post in this thread, but for me, the Allure / Freedom combo seems the most intriguing (and the one I would end up on). Gives you the comparison of 2 classes of ships and all the different ports. THe drive between ports (if as I thing they are both Sunday to Sunday's) is very doable.

3 hours (give or take). So off one ship by 815am, on the road by 9am and at the next port by 12n.

For me, the only thing that I would think about is what/how much to actually pack and getting the clothes washed and/or dry cleaned.

THose are all champagne problems though.

Look forward to seeing which combo you pick.

Enjoy!

Your info is great, thanks! Puts the size of the ships into perspective!

I did find the Fantasy a bit crowded, but only around the pool deck cause the pools are so small! I alway say the pools look like a can of sardines! I've only ever swam in the pools once, but my kids are like fish and can swim all day!

It's nice to know that the RCL ships have better, bigger pools since my kids enjoy them so much.

I should have added that when Freedom sails with 4000 passengers, they're sailing at ~105% of capacity. According to Disney's data, Fantasy and Dream average ~147% of capacity, so you have a ship that was designed for 2500 passengers routinely cruising with 4,000+ there's no way it won't feel crowded.

One other thing if your kids like to swim, most pools and hot tubs on Freedom stay open from 6AM-Midnight, and there's at least one pool that's open all night.

I should have added that when Freedom sails with 4000 passengers, they're sailing at ~105% of capacity. According to Disney's data, Fantasy and Dream average ~147% of capacity, so you have a ship that was designed for 2500 passengers routinely cruising with 4,000+ there's no way it won't feel crowded.

One other thing if your kids like to swim, most pools and hot tubs on Freedom stay open from 6AM-Midnight, and there's at least one pool that's open all night.

I've done 11 Disney cruises in less then 2 years, and never had a sold out cruise. Guess I've been lucky.

That's great about the pools! I always hated how Disney closes their pools down for dinner and leaves the smaller one open, but then closes them both down at 10pm, the water slide at 5pm and the adult pool at 11.

My kids love to swim! It's a big part of their day:)

I did not read every post in this thread, but for me, the Allure / Freedom combo seems the most intriguing (and the one I would end up on). Gives you the comparison of 2 classes of ships and all the different ports. THe drive between ports (if as I thing they are both Sunday to Sunday's) is very doable.

3 hours (give or take). So off one ship by 815am, on the road by 9am and at the next port by 12n.

For me, the only thing that I would think about is what/how much to actually pack and getting the clothes washed and/or dry cleaned.

THose are all champagne problems though.

Look forward to seeing which combo you pick.

Enjoy!

If both the Freedom and Allure were in the same port then hands down I would do it! After getting lots of comments, and thinking long and hard about it, I think it may be too rushed for me with 2 kids in tow and I'm alone.

I would love to be able to do laundry though!! I hate their are no self service laundry areas on the ship. I don't understand that!?

Thanks for your input! I take everyone's ideas and advice very seriously!

Cheers:)

I live in the Orlando area. When we cruise out of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) we leave our house at 6:30AM for the 3.5 hour drive. We want to make sure to give ourselves plenty of time for problems. If you come in on Freedom on the Sunday morning, even with self disembarkation, by the time you clear customs and rent a car, and get on your way, it will likely be closer to 9:30AM. For me, this would be WAY too stressful! If Freedom's arrival was delayed even a little (which is was for our son and daughter-in-law on their honeymoon - medical emergency - ship did not pull into port until 11AM. It was after 1Pm by the time they got off) you would be completely screwed.

Freedom is our favorite ship! A back to back will give you a lovely selection of ports. That would be my first choice if I were you!! :)

I agree! I'm alone with 2 kids in tow..may not be the smartest thing for me to do. And you're right, if the ship is late I may end up missing a 2nd 7 night cruise! Yikes!

Why is the Freedom your fav ship?

Do I have to be PIF in order to be able to book shows?

I think I'm going to do "My time dining" I believe that's what it's called. I want to do the one that I don't have a set time to eat. I don't normally eat in the dining room when I'm alone with kids.

When we sail with my DH and have "my time dining" do they seat us with another family or would we be seated alone?

What do you mean by "PIF"? Basically once you're booked, go to My Cruises on Royal's site, and you should see entertainment options. You can then go in to each one and 'add to cart' and then you are booked.

There are also other shows during the day that your kids may like that you do not pre-book (sail away party, parades, How to Train Your Dragon Ice Show, etc)

My understanding is you are seated alone with My Time, but maybe someone else can confirm...especially since dinner times can vary from night to night. You can either pre-book your times or just show up. But you may have a wait if you just show up.

We're travelling with kids so also want My Time. That way, we can coordinate dinner with shows. I know you said you don't go to all the shows, but from what I've read (and seen photos of), the Aqua show is supposed to be impressive.

Edited by LuCruise

We've sailed both ships, with and without our two children, plus Freedom's sister, Independence. Actually, we're leaving on Allure again in a week :)

Freedom beats Allure on:

Living in Charleston, SC, it's a much easier drive.

I felt the service was a little friendlier

Allure tends to upsell/nickel and dime more.

Embarkation/debarkation much less crowded.

Coco Cay on Eastern itinerary.

The Windjammer - Allure's is ALWAYS overcrowded b/c it's small.

Generally cheaper

Allure beats Freedom on:

Restaurants, except Windjammer. More, and better

Shows, no comparison.

Pool areas. Overall, less crowded. More hot tubs, more options.

Bars, especially Vintages

Neither ship feels crowded much, and actually I felt less crowded on Allure. Both Kid's Clubs are awesome, we have to pry our nine year old out with a crowbar sometimes.

Overall, if price is similar, I'd pick Allure, but you won't regret either.

Thank you!

If I book the B2B on the same ship, so they have me walk off and then walk back on again? On Disney we walk off, check back in and then get back on the ship before anyone else.

Yes. Easy Breezy!

I've done 11 Disney cruises in less then 2 years, and never had a sold out cruise. Guess I've been lucky.

That's great about the pools! I always hated how Disney closes their pools down for dinner and leaves the smaller one open, but then closes them both down at 10pm, the water slide at 5pm and the adult pool at 11.

My kids love to swim! It's a big part of their day:)

Our experience has been just the opposite. We've never been able to change rooms on any of our Disney cruises, because they told us they were sold out. I ran the official port data for Disney and according to that they average 147% of rated capacity, which would put their average at about 3,700 passengers. Their maximum SOLAS capacity is 4,000, so I guess technically if they don't hit 4,000, they don't sell out. BTW, the 3/6/16 Freedom cruise is right in the peak timeframe for college spring break here in Florida, and cruises are becoming popular break choices. I expect that one to be quite active since it visits St. Thomas and they can bring back 6 litres of booze each :eek:

What do you mean by "PIF"? Basically once you're booked, go to My Cruises on Royal's site, and you should see entertainment options. You can then go in to each one and 'add to cart' and then you are booked.

There are also other shows during the day that your kids may like that you do not pre-book (sail away party, parades, How to Train Your Dragon Ice Show, etc)

My understanding is you are seated alone with My Time, but maybe someone else can confirm...especially since dinner times can vary from night to night. You can either pre-book your times or just show up. But you may have a wait if you just show up.

We're travelling with kids so also want My Time. That way, we can coordinate dinner with shows. I know you said you don't go to all the shows, but from what I've read (and seen photos of), the Aqua show is supposed to be impressive.

"PIF" is Paid In Full...

Thank you for explaining the process of booking shows. We don't always see the shows, but I will make a point to take the kids to most if not all of them, especially the Aquatheatre show.

As for dining, I love the "my time" vs scheduled seating like on Disney. I love the freedom and not always having to look at my watch!

We've sailed both ships, with and without our two children, plus Freedom's sister, Independence. Actually, we're leaving on Allure again in a week :)

Freedom beats Allure on:

Living in Charleston, SC, it's a much easier drive.

I felt the service was a little friendlier

Allure tends to upsell/nickel and dime more.

Embarkation/debarkation much less crowded.

Coco Cay on Eastern itinerary.

The Windjammer - Allure's is ALWAYS overcrowded b/c it's small.

Generally cheaper

Allure beats Freedom on:

Restaurants, except Windjammer. More, and better

Shows, no comparison.

Pool areas. Overall, less crowded. More hot tubs, more options.

Bars, especially Vintages

Neither ship feels crowded much, and actually I felt less crowded on Allure. Both Kid's Clubs are awesome, we have to pry our nine year old out with a crowbar sometimes.

Overall, if price is similar, I'd pick Allure, but you won't regret either.

Thank you for the breakdown!

What did your kids like about the kids club? I'm worried my 8yr old may not like it? He likes the kids clubs on the Disney ships, but only because he can "self check out" because he's 8, so he doesn't feel trapped he says.

I do like how they break the ages up, so he's with kids his age on Royal.

He's actually 9 a few weeks after the cruise. Do you know if they're strict with the ages and may or may not let him be in the age group for the 9-11 yr olds?

Enjoy your cruise!!!

We have been on all of these ships - like them all. Just a thought - Have you considered one RCCL back to back with Carnival, Princess or NCL? We do back to back in the summer and back to back at Thanksgiving each year. One year we did back to back on the same line and realized we enjoyed a change for the second week. Staying with the same line means the same menus, activities, and similar shows.

We have done: Epic/Oasis Breeze/ Allure Allure/Getaway = All fabulous!

Currently our 11 year old daughter really likes the ships with the water slides.

We have been on all of these ships - like them all. Just a thought - Have you considered one RCCL back to back with Carnival, Princess or NCL? We do back to back in the summer and back to back at Thanksgiving each year. One year we did back to back on the same line and realized we enjoyed a change for the second week. Staying with the same line means the same menus, activities, and similar shows.

We have done: Epic/Oasis Breeze/ Allure Allure/Getaway = All fabulous!

Currently our 11 year old daughter really likes the ships with the water slides.

Funny you say that because I had considered doing the Freedom then Disney Dream or Magic or the Allure and Disney Wonder, but the prices are so high on the Disney ships, and the rate exchange just kills me cause I'm Canadian.

I've never sailed any other line, but I don't know if I want to try Carnival. NCL, maybe...I'm not good with change..lol

My kids prefer water slides as well, so I'm looking at the Harmony of he Seas for next Oct or Nov.

Our experience has been just the opposite. We've never been able to change rooms on any of our Disney cruises, because they told us they were sold out. I ran the official port data for Disney and according to that they average 147% of rated capacity, which would put their average at about 3,700 passengers. Their maximum SOLAS capacity is 4,000, so I guess technically if they don't hit 4,000, they don't sell out. BTW, the 3/6/16 Freedom cruise is right in the peak timeframe for college spring break here in Florida, and cruises are becoming popular break choices. I expect that one to be quite active since it visits St. Thomas and they can bring back 6 litres of booze each :eek:

Wow, you're very educated with all the ship #'s. I've actually been on a cruise and booked the very next cruise the day before I was to get off. I was told they've never had anyone do that before lol...the bookings had closed, but they made a call and had me booked to walk off the next day and then walk back on.

This was on the Disney Magic with my 2 boys.