Medeira port

Aloonie

MSC Opera is in port today and MSC Splendida is currently heading towards Funchal.

The old berths are 30 min walk or so from the centre, there is a new berth which is landside and 5 minute walk, but I've not seen a ship docked there yet.

There is some sort of dock opposite the current ones but as yet no other infra-structure, so I doubt it will be open for cruise ships anytime soon.

There is some sort of dock opposite the current ones but as yet no other infra-structure, so I doubt it will be open for cruise ships anytime soon.

It was being used some years ago. I have seen ships there when we have been there for New Year

That's in the original dock, although this area has been redeveloped and there is now a landside restaurant, tourist shop etc.

There is a new dock further east which forms part of the expanded marina.

That's the one with no shoreside building of any descriptipon yet, and no sign of any future development either, but it is clearly long enough to take quite a large ship, certainly of Azura or Eclipse size.

Docked overnight in Funchal Madeira onboard the Britannia a few weeks ago(Sept 15), you can walk in but its quite a long way , but plenty of shuttle buses

Its a stroll! See above. A mile/20 minutes to the promenade/sea front at most. The town is just behind.

Its a stroll! See above. A mile/20 minutes to the promenade/sea front at most. The town is just behind.

A stroll or a long way is very subjective, everyone has different opinions and different levels of fitness. Personally I have never taken the shuttle in Madeira because my husband and I have always said that we could walk to town in less time than we would have to wait for the shuttle but my sister insists that she needed to take the shuttle when she was there.

Nearer one and a half miles to the town centre depending on where your ship berths on the mole. Lots of us oldies can't average 3mph either :(

I took a taxi to the cable car station to beat the queue. I can't remember the price but it was reasonable.

Last time in Funchal walking into town was a no go. The east wind was so strong it was an effort to walk at all :eek:

Am I remembering correctly, when we docked in funchal in 2004 there was a boat service that took you from the dockside across the harbour to the town side. When we were there this year on Azura this service was no longer available.

Am I remembering correctly, when we docked in funchal in 2004 there was a boat service that took you from the dockside across the harbour to the town side. When we were there this year on Azura this service was no longer available.

Yes there was it did not last much after 04. We used it on out first trip there on Aurora, August.

• 1 month later...
Just looking at Marinetraffic and Funchal has 8 ships visiting today for the New Year fireworks. Four in port, for at sea.

The new berth is being used for the tenders from the ships moored offshore.

I did see a Fred.Olsen ship at the new berth earlier in the year, think it was Balmoral, but nothing since. As has been said no infrastructure there yet,