LIVE – Anthem’s First Trip to the Caribbean Picture Review 11/10/15

Kcjarvis

I'm a bit surprised at the timing. I know that the schedule typically brings the ship into the area and possibly into port around 4 or 5am, despite the 7am arrival noted.

I was surprised that they were able to get in around 9pm, 7 or 8 hrs faster.

How much to they slow the ship down on the last day or so?

Could they squeeze a 9 night NY - Caribbean itinerary into 7 days given this information?

Think of it in terms of a car. Most cars can top over 100 miles per hour. That doesn't mean it's safe, and it most certainly isn't fuel efficient.

My guess is that it cost Royal Caribbean a fortune to speed Anthem back to NY at 25 knots last night.

I'm a bit surprised at the timing. I know that the schedule typically brings the ship into the area and possibly into port around 4 or 5am, despite the 7am arrival noted.

Could they squeeze a 9 night NY - Caribbean itinerary into 7 days given this information?

The 7 and 8 night itineraries are the same if you look at them. The difference is the timing of the Port Canaveral stop (the 8 night has a full day visit, the 7 night gets there mid-day) and they obviously go slower heading down on the 8 nighter. I strongly doubt they could cut 2 days off a 9 night cruise. You'd be assuming that they go slowly the whole way, which I'm sure is wrong.

The 7 and 8 night itineraries are the same if you look at them. The difference is the timing of the Port Canaveral stop (the 8 night has a full day visit, the 7 night gets there mid-day) and they obviously go slower heading down on the 8 nighter. I strongly doubt they could cut 2 days off a 9 night cruise. You'd be assuming that they go slowly the whole way, which I'm sure is wrong.

I'm on the 8 day this February and the 7 day the following year. Hoping they start off a little faster on the 8 day and slow down later-- more sun time!

They could add more ports or squeeze 8 days into 7, but I'm be pretty sure the cruise prices would be a hell of a lot higher, because of the added fuel costs.

They could add more ports or squeeze 8 days into 7, but I'm be pretty sure the cruise prices would be a hell of a lot higher, because of the added fuel costs.

I doubt the 7 night price is higher than the 8 because of fuel costs. you get less days on the ship on the 7 night and the itinerary isn't as appealing because you don't get off the ship until 2pm or so (vs. having a full day there on the 8 night). And don't forget that Royal gets the ship a day arlier for the next cruise.

Soooo sad. :( I think one of them was a child? Not sure. I think I read this.

What happened to these people? Were they a family traveling together or were there separate incidents?

Was there a reason that they weren't treated elsewhere rather than take the journey all the way back?

What happened to these people? Were they a family traveling together or were there separate incidents?

Was there a reason that they weren't treated elsewhere rather than take the journey all the way back?

All separate incidents. No one knows the reasons due to "privacy act". Just an unfortunate day for these people and their loved ones. Don't know or understand, but they could not be heliported for some reason.

Ken, it was great finally meeting you and Paulette on Anthem! Just read through your review and even spotted us in a couple pictures haha. Looking forward to reading your conclusions about the cruise. We had an amazing time and I decided that the Anthem is my new favorite ship.

Our and prayers are with the families of the passengers who passed away. Very sad seeing those ambulances last night. All of us experienced cruisers knew that something was very wrong when the ship started vibrating and then all of a sudden we were doing 24.5 knots on night 11... :(

Edited by Dave85

Wow prayers going out to the families.

Quantum OS

22659086707_9050f415e2_c.jpg

Anthem OS

22659054348_1779f74775_c.jpg

Notice a difference???????? #firstworldproblems

Wow!! These pics are beautiful!!! All your pics are good. What type camera are you using?

I can see the TV watching me as I take my afternoon nap on that sofa. LOL

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Really excited to be sailing to a port we had never visited before, so we woke up early to enjoy the arrival. Good Morning Martinique!!!!!!

23103361166_b290825c33_c.jpg

23165382191_0ff39e97f5_c.jpg

23165381061_04d5528521_c.jpg

23129454755_d0011cfaea_c.jpg

Took a little while to dock, probably since it was the 1st time Anthem had docked there. We then took the short 5 min walk to the ferry to Pointe du Bout. Note - We stopped at the ATM across the street to get Euros. The ferry was $7 or 7 euros. I love that exchange rate so we paid in dollars

23103356716_263fffba66_c.jpg

23165376731_497c76bd66_c.jpg

A short 20 min ride to Pointe du Bout

The return ferry schedule is post at the pier.

23129451415_6a39d1b018_h.jpg

We walked to the end of the pier, made a right and walked to the end of the street.

22833629320_b430bcae63_c.jpg

23129449095_2308ddfa86_c.jpg

There are 2 small beaches to the right and 1 slightly larger beach to the left. To the left, you can rent chairs for $15 dollars or 10 euros. Umbrellas are only for hotel guests, but there is good shade from the palm trees. Get there early if you want a chair.

23129448325_58de0a7cee_c.jpg

23103350486_3894e3054e_c.jpg

23103348976_9e7cb60996_c.jpg

But the TI Punch was good

22833614630_26cb3e9808_b.jpg

After a good beach day, we retraced our steps and took the 3:15pm ferry for our 4:30pm all aboard.

22833625830_485623306b_c.jpg

Sad to see the flag at Fort De France at half staff due to the Paris Tragedy

22833624640_28dfa29df2_c.jpg

22735407478_bee1d7e923_c.jpg

An amazing send off - video to follow

22761485069_505851c7d8_c.jpg

Good bye Martinique...

22735404778_c9b8d28e2e_c.jpg

UGH!! Not Ken Rush again! We're sailing on Anthem on 12/12.

We've sailed on Allure twice with Ken Rush. The first time we thought he was awesome. The 2nd time we sailed 2 years later we learned he's just an animatronic robot. Every single joke, every single line, everything he ever said was identical. It got REALLY old really fast.

I get that it's hard to keep it fresh after doing it for 20+ years but for the love of God change things up some for repeat cruisers!

If I knew he was going to be on this ship we would have just booked something else. :(

UGH!! Not Ken Rush again! We're sailing on Anthem on 12/12.

We've sailed on Allure twice with Ken Rush. The first time we thought he was awesome. The 2nd time we sailed 2 years later we learned he's just an animatronic robot. Every single joke, every single line, everything he ever said was identical. It got REALLY old really fast.

I get that it's hard to keep it fresh after doing it for 20+ years but for the love of God change things up some for repeat cruisers!

If I knew he was going to be on this ship we would have just booked something else. :(

Really? You'd change your entire plan based on the CD? For the record, Ken's schedule of entertainment and events helped to make this an amazing cruise.

Woke up sailing past Nevis - birthplace of Alexander Hamilton and My Father.

23248445956_1bda3ae626_c.jpg

22646150334_7db1364b3e_c.jpg

In port with us - The Club Med 2 and a Silver baby cruise ship

23248445866_a46b14cdfd_c.jpg

and Serenade

23274572405_cd4e394be2_c.jpg

Look who came up to say hello - Mario - #1 Concierge in the fleet

23274572005_679eb1c09f_c.jpg

23274572295_6725cdeb8b_c.jpg