Anyone with Antarctic experience?

SeasTheDay12

Sure could use some advice! It's been forever on my bucket list and I have pushed the cruise back many times .

I'm booked to go this Feb on Infinity and final payment around the corner...help!

With a knee that's a problem with arthritis, I'm wondering just how rough it can be?

The weather extremes and anxious to see all the beauty and wild life it offers, I'm wondering if I should skip this bucket list dream?

I'm fortunate to have good sea legs as far as ship movement not a concern, but would really appreciate some good advice!

Thanks in advance~

Debra

I took Holland America's Zaandam to the Antarctic 2 years ago. It was the adventure of a lifetime. I too have bad knees, and pretty much all other joints too. We did shore excursions in pretty much every port, including the trip to Volunteer Point in the Falklands.

Compared to other cruises we've been on, this one did not involve much walking at all. A lot of the sights could be seen from the ship, including the continent itself, the icebergs and the Chilean fjords.

I got seasick as we crossed the Drake, but didn't have difficulty walking around the ship.

I highly recommend the cruise. Go for it!

We were on the infinity to Antarctica. While the water can be quite rough in the Drake Passage, they often change the itinerary to avoid crossing in that type of sea...in fact, I think there was one cruise that never did make the crossing to the Antarctic. It's pretty much up to mother nature...and yes, it can be quite rough, but it's very likely if it's that rough, you won't be sailing in it. We have had rougher seas off the coast of spain than anywhere else in the world....you just can't plan around weather.

It is a nice cruise although it is a fly by shooting rather than landing on the ice shelf. I wouldn't let rumors and other's terrible experiences stop you from doing something you've always wanted to do. Celebrity will keep you safe....book the cruise.

Thank you both for taking the time for advice!

The "safe" alternative was a relaxing TA....

Safe rather than sorry. But with no way to predict the quick change weather, I thought I might be sorry...

Now - living in the South, I better find the RIGHT clothes to layer!

Thanks again, and any tips welcome

Debra

We did the Antarctic on the Infinity. We were one of the cruises which experienced extremely bad weather....seas 38 feet winds 73 mph....rocking and rolling. We were not able to go into port in Falklands, started for Antartica and had to turn around and head back to SA. We eventually turned back south and did get to Antartica. Would we do it again. YES.

Walking was not really an issue but we did have itinerary changes which caused shore excursions to be cancelled and refunds given.

The cruise following ours had perfect weather. It is the luck of the draw.

You may be lucky and get the good weather. Actually had rougher seas on Baltic cruise. I would say go for it.

Sure could use some advice! It's been forever on my bucket list and I have pushed the cruise back many times .

I'm booked to go this Feb on Infinity and final payment around the corner...help!

With a knee that's a problem with arthritis, I'm wondering just how rough it can be?

The weather extremes and anxious to see all the beauty and wild life it offers, I'm wondering if I should skip this bucket list dream?

I'm fortunate to have good sea legs as far as ship movement not a concern, but would really appreciate some good advice!

Thanks in advance~

Debra

We did this on Infinity this last Feb. We had good weather. Needed to bundle on deck when way south, some snow on deck, but fairly warm. In the 70s while in Usuahia and Falklands. Minimal walking involved on the two Big Deal excursions: Walk With Penguins, Pira Tours in Ushuaia, and the Estancia Tours trip on the Falklands.

Do it. It may be a gamble, but worst case is a bit of adventure on board a nice ship in a region relatively few get to visit.

We were on the February 15, 2015 Infinity Antarctic cruise, and had a great time. It was the first leg of a B2B2B. Since we fly to every cruise port we generally do B2Bs or B2B2B sets of cruises, and the Antarctic cruise followed by the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and then Valparaiso onto Ft. Lauderdale leg was a great set of cruises.

We actually found the seas to be calmer than we expected. And regarding finding the RIGHT clothes to layer we spent some time onboard with someone from Texas, who while was very well traveled, tended to travel in warm weather climates. She had no problems dressing for the weather with items she already owned.

We were on Infinity last year...and it was AWESOME! As mentioned..it is the "luck of the draw"...re the weather!! Our crossing with the Drake's Passage...was a LAKE!! ...and we made the Falklands!! no worries!! But...we were lucky!! Please book your travel in the Falklands with that famous guy...Patrick...It was just so special...and the ride was a little scary...over the "bogs" ..but to see all those penguins up close..and the seals too...just amazing!!

TBH...it was a little cold on the ship while we were in the actual waters ...I was really "bundled" up while up in the lounge area with the views...up to and including "serious socks/beanie/and jackets"...but then...I live in So Cal so I have no blood and the cold really effects me!!

Please...if this is an important trip...do go! It is one of the best cruises we have ever done...and we have done a lot!!! Because I am a serious animal lover it made it all the more special!! Love those penguins!! Go, go, go!! :0 LuAnn

Wow! Thank you both as well!

It has always been a place I dreamed to go, and I am a major animal lover!

I'm also a southern girl and feel the cold but I'm sure I can come up with enough layers to be warm ( hope so anyway!!)

Better upgrade my camera as well !!

Just curious- how much time did you spend out on deck and was viewing better from public areas or any from your balcony - if you had one?

Does the ship tell you best times to be outside- whether day or night?

Getting excited about this - the more I search, the better the reasons to GO!!!

Thanks again for the help!!!

Debra

I'm also a southern girl and feel the cold but I'm sure I can come up with enough layers to be warm ( hope so anyway!!)

Just curious- how much time did you spend out on deck and was viewing better from public areas or any from your balcony - if you had one?

Debra

Debra,

If you are an animal lover you must do Celebrity Galapagos Island tour. We did that before we did the Antarctica on the Infinity. That is truly a trip of a lifetime for animal lovers. You must be fit as it is rather strenuous but so so great to be with all of the different animals you studied about in school or watched on National Geographic. Life is so short, enjoy.

We did the Antarctic on the Infinity. We were one of the cruises which experienced extremely bad weather....seas 38 feet winds 73 mph....rocking and rolling. We were not able to go into port in Falklands, started for Antartica and had to turn around and head back to SA. We eventually turned back south and did get to Antartica. Would we do it again. YES.

Walking was not really an issue but we did have itinerary changes which caused shore excursions to be cancelled and refunds given.

The cruise following ours had perfect weather. It is the luck of the draw.

You may be lucky and get the good weather. Actually had rougher seas on Baltic cruise. I would say go for it.

Sounds like our cruise on Infinity that sailed January/February 2010. We went to Ushuaia and then sailed back to Antarctica after letting some complaining cruisers off. Little did they or we know at the time we would attempt a second try at Antarctica

We did have National Geographic weather day on our second attempt to Antarctica and crossing Drakes Passage was interesting. Not sure if we fully crossed 4 times or not.

I too would encourage OP to go for it.

Sounds like our cruise on Infinity that sailed January/February 2010. We went to Ushuaia and then sailed back to Antarctica after letting some complaining cruisers off. Little did they or we know at the time we would attempt a second try at Antarctica

We did have National Geographic weather day on our second attempt to Antarctica and crossing Drakes Passage was interesting. Not sure if we fully crossed 4 times or not.

I too would encourage OP to go for it.

I do believe we were on the same cruise. They weren't the complainers, they were the passengers who man handled some of crew and threatened the captain.

Debra

We did have a veranda...but we did our viewing from the public areas. Get there early!! People literally "camped out" all day long!!! Got and kept their seats!!! We were traveling with some friends...who had friends...so we "swapped out seats" all day long! They went out quite a bit ...to take pics etc...me? I stayed inside...because I mentioned I was a little cold inside...let alone outside! But if you can bring the right clothes...go for it! I just don't have them here in So Cal...and didn't want to invest in something other than my "Alaska" coat...which I bought at Costco years ago...and I also brought some sweaters/an "X" sweat-shirt..the beanie and the socks...really needed the "serious socks". Re the animals..we were able to sit at the very forward part of the viewing area...some of the times...and there were literally HUNDREDS of penguins riding the wake off an on!! Just amazing! It is really too dark to see anything much at night...so my advice is get up early...really early and go get a seat. The ship did offer some beverages...hot chocolate/coffee/drinks etc. and the "naturalists" with their maps and info were "camped" up there as well. The time spent "down there" is limited...due to rules and regulations...so do try and spend as much time as possible "viewing". And do try and book the Patrick Watts tour for the Falkland Islands...a once in a life time experience...especially if you are an animal lover!!! And due try and book this trip early...as prices can really escalate!! They certainly did on our cruise...so much so that near the end I was able to up-grade to AQ for the same price I had paid for a veranda....not always the case...but the prices are pretty high to start with...IMO...so book as early as possible!!! LuAnn

Oh LuAnn, I can't thank you enough!

This really helps on so many subjects, and the packing to stay warm is a must

I'm traveling solo, and I'd have to find a good spot to camp out... Maybe can beg someone to hold it for me LOL

SO public areas better to see more?

I booked an aqua ages ago and so much higher in price now! Wish I had considered a stern cabin then- bigger view, and chance to get warm inside without losing my spot !

Final due soon = big push for final decision !

Really appreciate the info! Thanks again

Debra

Hi Snit13 and shipshape Sam!

Thanks for the help and info!

I had already booked Galapagos for last year, but after talking about two trips a day with in/out I got nervous about my knee. I'm sure Galapagos or African Safari will forever stay a dream, but Antartica easier and still great up close and personal

Knowing me I'll be wishing to take one home, but a stuffed one will have to do for THEIR sake and mine![emoji41]

Thank you for sharing

Debra

I had already booked Galapagos for last year, but after talking about two trips a day with in/out I got nervous about my knee. I'm sure Galapagos or African Safari will forever stay a dream, but Antartica easier and still great up close and personal

Knowing me I'll be wishing to take one home, but a stuffed one will have to do for THEIR sake and mine![emoji41]

Thank you for sharing

Debra

Are you aware that the Xpedition offers three levels for every excursion....the easiest often doesn't leave the zodiac or has very little walking....and would be perfect if you are concerned about your knees....even the medium level shore excursions are not that difficult...in most cases you are on flat paths. You will have a wonderful galapagos cruise just taking the easy excursions twice a day....no need to skip that incredible cruise....in fact it was the best cruise I've ever taken...Celebrity really does it right.

Are you aware that the Xpedition offers three levels for every excursion....the easiest often doesn't leave the zodiac or has very little walking....and would be perfect if you are concerned about your knees....even the medium level shore excursions are not that difficult...in most cases you are on flat paths. You will have a wonderful galapagos cruise just taking the easy excursions twice a day....no need to skip that incredible cruise....in fact it was the best cruise I've ever taken...Celebrity really does it right.

Seriously? I was warned it would be hard on me getting in/out of the zodiacs .... I had no idea they had different levels of excursions, and never told by my CVP.

Guess I have a lot more planning to do, and $$ to save!

Which itinerary would you recommend? Is one much better than another ?

Thanks for your suggestion! I would have made a terrible mistake skipping Galapagos !

Debra

Seriously? I was warned it would be hard on me getting in/out of the zodiacs .... I had no idea they had different levels of excursions, and never told by my CVP.

Guess I have a lot more planning to do, and $$ to save!

Which itinerary would you recommend? Is one much better than another ?

Thanks for your suggestion! I would have made a terrible mistake skipping Galapagos !

Debra

Both itineraries are excellent. I suppose if you really wanted to see one specific animal, you would have to plan your trip accordingly to be there when they are there....but I would just book either cruise. You board the zodiacs with one or two people helping you as you step in....they are very careful with passengers. There is a separate section on the galapagos here....start to follow that discussion and ask questions. You are not the first with bad knees to think about going on that cruise.

Thank you for sharing

Debra

Debra,

We did the African Safari and without a doubt it is our favorite trip of all time. Galapagos comes in 2nd with Antartica 3rd and our 2 months in Alaska followed by cruise would come in 4th.

Go for it and pack layers to wear for viewing. We did all of our viewing from our balcony that way we could go out and come back in and get warm. Be sure you pack a "hoodie" and a ski type cap to go under it, also a turtle neck sweater. Met some wonderful people on this cruise and you will too.

I selected the mild most of the time and on occasion did medium level excursions. There was never an issue and took walking sticks with us. You do know you do not have to do two excursions a day. You can stay on ship and relax in sun if you choose. What you do is totally up to you. I would have been said to have missed this opportunity. Today on National Geo Wild they had a 3 hour special on the Galapagos Islands. We watched and relived our wonderful experience. We went in April and weather was great....I don't recall the year.

Oh LuAnn, I can't thank you enough!

This really helps on so many subjects, and the packing to stay warm is a must

I'm traveling solo, and I'd have to find a good spot to camp out... Maybe can beg someone to hold it for me LOL

SO public areas better to see more?

I booked an aqua ages ago and so much higher in price now! Wish I had considered a stern cabin then- bigger view, and chance to get warm inside without losing my spot !

Final due soon = big push for final decision !

Really appreciate the info! Thanks again

Debra

I so enjoy helping others "cruise" via CC! Yes..I think you will enjoy the experience so much more in the "public areas"...always great to "share" IMO!! And you know...you can make a lot of good friends before boarding on the Roll Call for this cruise...go to the Meet and Greet and meet people and then you will have "new friends"!! :cool:...that you probably already met on the Roll Call??? Please go...I can not tell you how special it is...and how it will impact your life!!! Especially as an animal lover...one not to miss!!! What cruise are you booked on??? LuAnn

LuAnn, I'm booked on Feb 14 2016...

My head is spinning now wanting to do all of my favorites and thinking I couldn't handle them in comfort.

I only asked here on a whim to see if going was a problem, and now I have multiple options!!!

I have always learned alot on CC and met many new cruise friends on roll calls.

Thanks for the great advice from everyone! I'd better win a lottery to cover all these plans! But I'm sure I won't be sorry!!!

Debra

We did this on Infinity this last Feb. We had good weather. Needed to bundle on deck when way south, some snow on deck, but fairly warm. In the 70s while in Usuahia and Falklands. Minimal walking involved on the two Big Deal excursions: Walk With Penguins, Pira Tours in Ushuaia, and the Estancia Tours trip on the Falklands.

Do it. It may be a gamble, but worst case is a bit of adventure on board a nice ship in a region relatively few get to visit.

Estancia tours in the Falklands was MAGNIFICENT. As other have said weather is the luck of the draw. Any cruise can have either smooth sailing or terrible weather. Would definitely suggest going it was magnificent seeing both Antarctica and the penguins.

Do you actually do "landings" or whatever the proper term for being on the ice and stalking penguins is? I've read that only the very small ships do landings, but all this talk of zodiacs and such has me wondering if that is wrong.

Thanks!