Flying to FLL cruising from MIA

dseres

Sorry if this makes anyone mad, I'm sure it's been asked a lot, but I can't seem to find any recent information/opinions on whether to stay in a FLL hotel and shuttle to Port of Miami the next morning, or shuttle right to Miami hotel the day we arrive in FLL??? I've been trying to weigh the options, I know some say it's cheaper to stay in FLL, but I want to get to the port early and don't want to have any problems so might be better to just go right to Miami? Also any tips on the best shuttles to take back and forth would also be appreciated. I wish NCL cruised out of FLL! We have stayed at the Holiday Inn POM before which has a great location across from Bayside, but the rate has gone way up since then and its not that great of a hotel really. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!

We like to rent a car and head to Miami. There are a couple car rental places right downtown Miami, and you can return the car there and shuttle 3 minutes to the port for free.

Lots of info on the Florida Departures forum here on CC, regarding hotels, etc. You'll find a ton more info there than here, since several cruise lines use Port of Miami, not just NCL.

We have had good luck flying into FLL from PVD the night before the cruise, with an overnite stay in FLL. We then take a QLS shuttle to POM in the morning ($13 pp).

9 am QLS shuttle from Holiday Inn FLL Airport hotel got us to the port by 10 am or so and we were some of the first ones on the ship. No lines, no delays :)

We have also rented a car at FLL and turned it in at MIA, but QLS is now less of a hassle for us...

We have used SAS several times, but always stay in FLL and take the shuttle in the morning. If you want to get to the port early, stay in MIA.

If you stay in FLL, you might get lucky with an early shuttle to POM, but that is not a guarantee.;)

I cruised out of Miami but stayed in FLL. I will never do it again. We booked transport and they were an hour late what with traffic it was a very stressful journey we made it to the port by 2pm, but the whole day felt very rushed. We like to arrive early so we can have lunch and drink in restaurant and then relax by pool to muster drill. Didn't happen that time. So from now on I will stay at hotel in Miami. I usually pick a hotel that has a free shuttle to the port.

We use Fort Lauderdale Limo. Jason the owner is great. We stay in Fort Lauderdale and pick a time for them to pick us up and take us to the pier. We use them again on the return trip to FLL. I like not being on a shuttle with several stops and a crowd of people jammed into a shuttle bus or van.

Last month I flew into FLL and took Go Shuttle from the airport to Holiday Inn POM for 26.00$. It was easily found just outside the baggage area, and I was on my shuttle quickly and on the way. I got the Holiday Inn Port of Miami for 110.00 a night on LMT/Last Minute Travel. And for that price it was a bargain. Of course you dont get a room with a view at that rate, but it worked for me. the hotel is showing it's age/wear and tear in the rooms, but was clean, and the staff are excellent. You cant beat the location, as you already know. I know that there are cheaper ways to get to Miami from FLL, but this was the way I did it, and it all worked fine for me. A taxi from the Hol Inn to the port on cruise day was 12.00 plus tip.

I agree with the others who say go to Miami the day before your cruise, for the same reasons. Check out LMT, and I beleive there is a charge to join, but even with that you will save money on hotels, and you know in advance which hotel you got, not like blind bidding of other discount booking sites.

Edited by SMSACE6

Assuming you get in to FLL early enough then definitely head in to Miami. We have stayed at both the Holiday Inn at POM and the Hampton on Brickell. In both cases there is a bunch of stuff right around the hotel in walking distance. Holiday Inn is across from Bayside Marketplace with a ton of restaurants, shops, etc. Gets very busy in the evening but the hotel is a 5 min cab from the port.

Sorry if this makes anyone mad, I'm sure it's been asked a lot, but I can't seem to find any recent information/opinions on whether to stay in a FLL hotel and shuttle to Port of Miami the next morning, or shuttle right to Miami hotel the day we arrive in FLL??? I've been trying to weigh the options, I know some say it's cheaper to stay in FLL, but I want to get to the port early and don't want to have any problems so might be better to just go right to Miami? Also any tips on the best shuttles to take back and forth would also be appreciated. I wish NCL cruised out of FLL! We have stayed at the Holiday Inn POM before which has a great location across from Bayside, but the rate has gone way up since then and its not that great of a hotel really. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!

We like to be able to jump in a taxi and head to the port when we feel like it, not when the shuttle is scheduled, or actually arrives, and then chance traffic on 95, so we head down to Miami after our flight gets in.

We have used SAS, QLS and MJS ( go mjs website ) but just found out about Go Shuttle which is the official FLL airport shuttle. Advantage is no prebooking, and they run as long as incoming flights are scheduled. Price seems to be pretty equivalent to the other shuttles. If you use one of the first three mentioned, make sure they do not charge extra after 5:00 pm or so if you have a late flight. Also, make sure they drop off at your hotel. Some do not do hotel drop offs at all.

We stay a little bit north of the Bayside location. There are several hotels along Biscayne, Miami Downtown Hilton, where we usually stay, and behind it there is a Mariott, Hampton and Doubletree. It is very close to the elevated rail that makes loops around the area and is walking distance to Bayside.

Not sure how many people the Go Shuttle usually transports, but when we have used the other three mentioned, once it was just the two of us, and the other two trips it was a total of 4 and a total of 6. Have also used them from cruise port back to FLL.