Oasis 11/7 trip report, Periscope?, and 12203 photos

h20skibum

Oasis 11/7 trip report, Periscope?, and 12203 photos

Catchy title, isn't it? I call it a trip report, because I will take you along from the early planning stages, travel to and from the port, as well as experiences on the ship. I started to write this a little over a month in advance, so that is why there is a ? by Periscope. More on periscope later.

First, a little bit about us. DW and I are in that category that gets to check the "seniors" box. I am mid-60's, but DW is still back in the 50's, but we both are very active. We make time almost every day to either work out at the gym or walk and jog outside when the weather is nice. Summers, we get out on our boat and waterski when we can. Here is an average of our week from Fitbit.

22352326658_77d13614ce_c.jpg

So why do this? I mean, there are already 1295 reports on Oasis on Cruise Critic, plus another 489 threads asking questions about Oasis. So what is one more in a sea of a couple thousand! There will be lots of photos, plus maybe some tips from trip planning to getting the most from your time aboard. I may even make a few attempts at humor, so please take it as that.

So this starts with all of the detailed impulse planning that is typical for us. In the midst of a harsh brutal winter, we thought, hey - We need to plan a cruise. It had been almost a year since we had cruised, and it felt like forever since we were onboard. You know the feeling. After a month back it feels like it was far in the past.

Our planning for this cruise began in March. As fortune would have it, one of the 20 or so emails I get a day from travel agents had a Godfather of a sale for the Oasis. You know, the type of offer you can't refuse. It was

21881316390_91bc100fb5_b.jpg

Immediately, I was on the phone to snap up the deal. Bundled with the large OBC, the cruise price has never been that low since. Once the paperwork was emailed back, that ended the first part of our cruise planning. Onward to the next stage of booking a hotel for a pre-cruise stay, and booking our flights.

We started looking for a pre-cruise hotel, only to find that many had no vacancies, and those that did, had very high prices. As it turned out, the cruise departure was the same week as the Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show. We had the same kind of lodging issue on a cruise out of New Orleans when they had a little thing called the Final Four going on at that time.

We usually use hotel points for our pre-cruise hotel, but since those were unavailable, we had to find an alternate. Thanks to a CC member, we found a hotel that was still under construction, but that was taking reservations at a reasonable rate.

Edited by h20skibum
Thread title

So you may think, "Cruising is sooo expensive. How will I ever save for one?" And the answer is "Change!" Toss all your change in the Cruise Fund bottle instead of spending it. See, this works for us old folks once we break the impulse to dig into that little change purse to count out 99 cents at the store, instead of forking over another buck. Never mind there are 20 people in line while you sort through pennies, nickels, and dimes. Note, If you are addicted to credit or debit cards, this may require a change in your habits.

There are a couple of downsides to saving change, though. First, you may have to go through a lot of rum to have enough bottles for your change.

22369315358_81279e8919_c.jpg

Then, you have to cash in all the change. So off to the little green machine to cash in the cruise change.

22177549574_11f79f8f9b_c.jpg

After dumping in all the coins, we find out :eek: they charge 9% to get your money. Maybe they are associated with Royal.:) If you come up short, there are other sources. You can try pan handling, or if you have one of these around, people are alway loosing their change here.

22789719181_bd53f5ae72_c.jpg

Next - planning

Edited by h20skibum

Planning for Oasis is not like other ships. I had previously sailed the Allure, so I knew to book all of our shows in advance. As a detail planner, I scoured Cruise Critic for previous Cruise Compass copies of the western itinerary. Studying these, I set up a preliminary schedule in a spreadsheet.

19334897423_a2ac888325_c.jpg

I do not rigidly adhere to a schedule, but setting up one gives me an idea of when I want to book shows when they are available for booking, plus other events I want to attend. If you like to plan things out, just be prepared to change. More on this later.

Next - packing tips

Thanks for the kind comments so far. I have been busy editing and uploading photos, so it may be a slow process.

Plus, when we left, it was "Ahhhh, the lovely fall leaves" on the trees in my back yard.

23034778075_ac4a273f03_c.jpg

And when we got home yesterday, it was "Argggg, the fall leaves"

22642796289_2ab3c1940b_c.jpg

So that is what I will be dealing with today. More to come though.:)

Packing tips

When we first started cruising, we packed everything we thought we would remotely need. Although there were no such things as bag fees then, sometimes the trip to the airport would be interesting :)

16964070626_6fda9882a9_z.jpg

We have since learned to pare it down to the bare essentials. I think these poor people on our last cruise must have had so much luggage there wasn't room in their cabin for furniture.

14161649735_ae63d1a96f_c.jpg

So now when we cruise, we use my packing list. There are several lists that are available on line, so just find one and modify it to your needs. First on the list are the three essentials. Passports, Set Sail pass, and drink coupons.

22616450958_4c8ca29925_c.jpg

We also have to have our Belkin, Chargers for iPhones and iPad, headphones, and audio "y". We always download a couple of movies to make the time go quicker on our flights, hence the "y" audio splitter so we can both watch the movie. The Belkin is great, because it has a rotating plug, three outlets and two USB charging ports. Never had a problem with bringing it aboard and using it. The binder clips are great at keeping cords from tangling.

23034807855_a0e4466556_c.jpg

Next - more packing

I use the modified roll method to pack clothes and keep them wrinkle free. One suitcase contains all the formal clothes, plus it contains some of my casual and workout clothes and some of DW's casual and workout clothes, and the second one contains more casual and workout clothes as well as bath items. It starts with the tux and tux shirt draped over the wide side of the suitcase, and the cocktail dresses draped over the narrow side of the suitcase. I continue to alternate all hanging clothes the same way.

23045944271_e51172e5b1_c.jpg

After all the hanging clothes are draped, the workout clothes and casual folded clothes go in the middle. Each of the hanging clothes that are draped over the sides are then wrapped back in.

22642567499_e0e34bbed5_c.jpg

I always cross pack clothes in the event one of the bags gets lost or delayed. That way, we would have at least some clothes to wear. Packing the bath liquids ( you know, the special shampoos, conditioners, etc. that DW absolutely can not live without) is an art in itself. Some people like to remove the caps, place a small square of Saran Wrap over the top and screw the top back on to keep them leak proof. I use painter's tape for our stuff. Tape all the caps and put them in gallon zip lock bags. These then go in another larger bag cushioned inside suitcase two. It has always kept things leak proof, even when they encounter the airport baggage pushers. (No wonder our bags end up looking the way they do)

9MZqiE3yGlQ

Finally, with all bags packed and waiting at the door, it is time to leave for our preflight stay.

23021277092_cfaf95f0aa_c.jpg

Next -preflight stay

Being from western PA, that means we typically fly out of the Pittsburgh airport. So we finally look at what time our flight left on Friday morning and remember it was booked for 7:00 a.m. That meant we would have to get up in the middle of the night for the trek to the airport. We have about every hotel reward card known to man ( Starwood Preferred, Hilton HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Choice, etc.) so we decided to look for a hotel near the airport so we did not have to get up so early. DW had several free nights on her Marriott Rewards, so we booked our pre-flight stay at the Courtyard near the airport.

22616478717_42c8d829b9_c.jpg

It was a very nice room, and as a bonus as a Rewards Member, they offered free parking at the hotel while we were on the cruise. This saved us the airport parking fees, and they provided a free shuttle to and from the airport. (Did I mention that this was all free :))

And what better way to start the vacation than one of the infamous Primanti Brothers sammiches and a cold beer?

22423089899_f2745af2a3_c.jpg

Hang in there, we are almost to Florida and on the ship. I just had to come back to that thing called work, so this may take a while.

Next - the flight out

We were on the same cruise. Your saving change simply will not work for us. The wife confiscates all the change and puts it in her savings account. Can't complain about this because she spends it wisely on things for the house. We have cash back credit cards that finance a lot of our cruises.

Love your writing style.

Edited by RocketMan275

For air, we always book our own. We usually have enough points for free air, except for the $5.60 security fee on the "bags fly free" airline, and this trip was no exception. (I know, seems like a "free" theme here, but that means more in my pocket:))

22063722126_868b19126b_c.jpg

I do have to give a plug for Southwest here. Every flight we have taken with them has been on time. We did a trip to San Fransisco a couple weeks before the cruise, and every leg of the flights out and back were on time, as were the ones to the cruise and back. Far different than a trip we did to the west coast in the spring on an airline at the beginning of the alphabet. Those flights had constant delays.

For anyone flying out of Pittsburgh, they will be simply amazed at the continuity of the art displays in the airport. Where else can you be greeted by a T-Rex as you enter the air side terminal

22660367668_b6eb593821_c.jpg

as well as statues of George Washington and of Franco Harris making the Immaculate Reception all in one place?

22457570743_e602365d74_c.jpg

22660372048_1a10cb82a4_c.jpg

Somebody had to work hard to put this trio together:) and no, that is a light and not a bottle of bud light in the T-Rex's hand.

The flight out - continued

So we made it out of Pittsburgh and had a stop in Atlanta. We did cash in a couple of our drink coupons on the leg from Atlanta to FLL. Although Jimmy Buffet says it is 5 O'Clock somewhere, 7 a.m. On the first leg is a little early for a drink for me. Now 10 a.m., that's a different story.

22459193583_b2f05fa4de_c.jpg

We got in to Ft. Lauderdale around noon and called for the hotel shuttle. We waited and waited and waited, while shuttles to the other hotels came and went. It was probably 45 minutes before they showed up. Some random tourists waiting for their shuttle ( and no, that is not us). I think we saw the Hyatt van six times before ours showed up.

22659746198_b118bbff04_c.jpg

The shuttle driver said to ignore the times to arrive at the port that Royal sends to everyone. He said " You go early. You wait, you be in big line. You book shuttle as soon as you get to hotel."

As noted before, thanks to one of the CC members on our roll call, we found a hotel that was not outrageously increased due to the Boat Show. Our stay was booked at the Comfort Suites in Dania Beach. We had stayed in this area at a couple different hotels, so we were familiar with what it had to offer. There is a shopping plaza within walking distance as well as a few fast food restaurants.

So as soon as we got to the hotel and checked in, we booked the port shuttle. We asked how often the shuttle runs to the port, and they said every hour. "You want to go at 10 or 12?" Hmmm, 11 was missing, so we chose 10 for our departure time.

Our room was nice, but the couch could have been made from bricks, it was so firm.

23078161495_6a83dc3808_c.jpg

The brick couch.

23052092406_21dd7cd365_c.jpg

23078151965_cb859ccbc4_c.jpg

Next - getting ready to depart

We had to head out to the shopping plaza when DW remembered there was a Marshall's there. She has probably been to every one in the country, or maybe it just seems that way to me. Anyhow, she found some nice workout clothes there to add to our suitcase weight. Then it was off to supper. I had read about a little Cuban restaurant across from the hotel, and I wanted to try it.

22685860039_0cc1fd2909_c.jpg

My mouth was watering for an authentic Cuban sandwich. The first one I ever had was in a little Cuban restaurant in Little Havana section of Miami, and I have been searching for one as good ever since. We go in the restaurant, and everyone has the traditional black and white outfits, so I think " This looks promising". I open the menu, and there it is, the Cuban sandwich. Mmmmm, I can already taste it.

So the waiter comes over to take our order, and I tell him I want one of the Cuban sandwiches.

"Sorry Mister, we no have the Cuban sandwich today."

What!!!! What kind of Cuban restaurant doesn't always have a Cuban sandwich. Did the guy that knows how to make it call off sick? Needless to say, I was terribly disappointed, but settled on an equally good choice.

So after dinner, we wandered back to the hotel and went to the fitness center. I think it was around this time that we heard about the man overboard incident on the Oasis, and realized the ship would likely be getting in to port late. Looks like we will be spending time in the port terminal with our 10:00 shuttle ride.

So the next morning, the driver packs as many people and suitcases that will fit into the shuttle. I like the look on the face of the guy in the back that is packed in with the suitcases towering over him. Or maybe that is Rocketman when he found out his wife just confiscated all his change.:)

22685893919_d1cb2d629d_c.jpg

The driver wanted to make sure that if we were in a crash, no one was getting out the exits. Just load them up with more suitcases.

22659791927_6822a17de4_c.jpg

So off we go to the port, and we finally get our first glimpse of the Oasis. Looks pretty small hiding behind those Palm trees.

22456947803_8f8032f816_c.jpg

Next - checking in

And what better way to start the vacation than one of the infamous Primanti Brothers sammiches and a cold beer?

I hope that cold beer was an Iron City beer. God I wish I had a Primanti sandwich in my hands right now while reading this.

Love the humor. More! More!

Edited by Yorkvillain

I hope that cold beer was an Iron City beer. God I wish I had a Primanti sandwich in my hands right now while reading this.

Love the humor. More! More!

Ah, alas, it was a Yuengling. But I do keep several of these in the fridge:)

22464934654_558d98b4f7_c.jpg

So the shuttle driver breezed us through port security by telling the lie that he had checked everyone's passport and documents and they were all in order. He said we all looked trustworthy. Translation, no one was wearing a turban.

Whoops, maybe that wasn't politically correct. But DW says I have some kind of Tourette's syndrome when it comes to political correctness. Anyhow, we hand over our bags to someone who was wearing a turban, with the hope that it will find it's way to our cabin. Passports and set sail pass in hand, we head into the terminal.

Now, I had contemplated bringing along many of my past Royal Caribbean treasures and fashioning them into some type of a boarding day outfit with the hope of speeding through the boarding process, but DW nixed the idea.

22369247168_01675c3196_c.jpg

We make our way in to the check-in line, only to find that is was long due to some gold members in it who evidently couldn't read. So a Royal representative came through the line and chased the gold members away, and the line got shorter. My favorite was an old guy standing in line with a a big yellow sticker that said 10:00. It was probably given to him by a shuttle driver for a 10:00 departure. Okay, you can take it off now. You made it to the port.

So no pictures for this part, since port security frowns on that sort of thing. It was the first time we made it through security without having our bag checked though. See, DW always transfers all the liquids to the carryon bag for boarding the ship. It always shows up as a mass of liquids on the scanner, so they usually do the bag check to make sure there isn't any alcohol in it.

We fill out the thing that says we haven't thrown up in the last week and haven't visited a foreign country recently ( does California count?), and hand over our credit card and pose for our photos so we can receive another sea pass for our collection. We were through the check-in process in about 15 minutes and herded into the waiting area. (Did I mention our boarding was being delayed because of that man overboard thing?). Plus, one of the consecutive cruisers escaped and they had to find them and process them before we could get onboard.

So everyone waits patiently in the holding area.

22455356724_7b1b40b7a0_c.jpg

And finally, around 11:45, the gates open and we start to board. Just a note for those traveling with kids, they did have a play area in the waiting area to keep them busy while you wait.

Next - lunch and exploring

Lunch time, so time for another post.

The first order of business after getting onboard was to sign up for the VOOM Internet and head to the spa. DW wanted to tour the spa, so we were one of the first ones there.

22672402547_0cc99be1c2_c.jpg

It would be the first and only time we would set foot in an elevator during the cruise. As we were taking the tour, the guide took us into a little elevator to get to the next floor. I thought maybe it was a super secret area that you could only get to that way. Kind of like going to the Bat Cave. But it turned out that it was because I still had my carryon bag. When she tried to put us back in the elevator, I said "Don't they have stairs here? I can walk up and down stairs." So we get to the fitness center portion and find the scales.

We always do a boarding day weigh in and repeat each day to make sure we are not gaining too much weight. Our first cruise, we each put on about 9 pounds. After that, we decided if we wanted to continue cruising, we needed to get it under control. Otherwise, we would be on the news where they feature the fire department cutting a larger doorway in the house to get the worlds largest man out.

After finding the scale and stripping down (well, not completely), we did our weigh in and then headed for the Solarium for lunch. It was a nice place for a boarding day meal and was not crowded at all.

After finishing lunch, it was time to drop the carryon bag in the room. It was during this process that I discovered my iPhone was missing. So then it was wrack the brain to figure the last place I saw it. Off to the Solarium to see if anyone found one and turned it in. Nope. Then it hit me, I took it out of my pocket for weigh in and didn't remember picking it back up. Didn't want those extra few ounces to throw off the scale. Off to the spa, and sure enough, one of the guides had found it and sent it to guest services.

Oh no, Guest Services. We are on the ship an hour of so, and there are already twenty people in line. What could they possibly need there, unless they were idiots like me looking for a lost iPhone. And the line was not moving at all. So I grabbed one of Royal's people and said "I'm just here to retrieve my iPhone. The spa people sent me here." I give him the description and off he goes and brings back my iPhone along with a list and a paper to sign saying I retrieved it. The list was of all the other iPhones that had already been lost and collected, and there were 15 other idiots on the list ahead of me. They just hadn't realized theirs were lost yet. It must have looked like an Apple Store back there.

So, smiles all around we head off to check out the ship.

Now may be a good time to talk about cameras and other inane stuff. The photos were taken with one of three cameras, depending on what I had with me at the time. I try to do most of my shooting with a Nikon P100 which has a 26 zoom lens. Other photos were either taken with an iPhone, or an iPad Air camera.

I wear a Fitbit Charge HR, and did most of the time on and off the ship. For those who do not know what it is, it is an insidious device that is marketed as a fitness tracker. These things can literally make you walk in circles. I don't like that it is not waterproof, so I have to take it off to go in the pools.

22471589584_019d5ec194_c.jpg

The HR tracks how many steps you take, your heart rate, how many miles you wave walked or ran, how many calories you have burned, and how many floors you have climbed. It syncs with an app on the iPad and will also let you log weight, foods eaten, and it gives you your active minutes as well as your sleep pattern. I say it is insidious, because it will send you texts like "Only 1,000 more steps to meet this or that goal". So you think, yes, I can walk around the room and get to that level.

I will give you an update as we go along about how many miles or steps we would log in a day by not using the elevators. Just one note though, DW and I always start out the day by doing a 5K (just over 3 miles), so take those totals into consideration. We already did that for the day before we left the hotel on day 1.

If anyone is using one of these onboard, recording floors climbed will not be accurate. We did find that the miles were dead on with the track on deck 5. After doing a 5K on the track, it would record 50 or so floors climbed. How is that? I'm going round and round on the same deck. Sure, there is a little rise at the aft, but 50 floors? My only explanation is the motion of the ship makes it seem like you are going up an incline as you traverse the track. Not that you notice the ship movement, but it also at times under recorded the number of floors climbed in going up the stairways.

Our cabin was 1/4 mile from the track on deck 5. Did I say yet that the ship is big?

Okay, enough of this. Time to get back to work. More to come.

This was a western Caribbean sailing with port calls at Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica; and Cozumel, Mexico. With a Saturday departure, we would spend Monday in Labadee, Tuesday in Falmouth, and Thursday in Cozumel.

22480182234_59bab19b6e_c.jpg

We had prebooked all our shows for times that would work for us, and Royal sent us all our confirmed show times.

22684590117_c690154af1_c.jpg

Then, two weeks before sailing, the "No content" emails arrive for the cruise enhancements summary of changes. Evidently, someone had mastered the SEND button,, but they were still challenged at putting actual text in the email.

22155952024_9463f79bc2_c.jpg

After a heads up from one of our roll call members, we found they had changed our day and time for the Cats show so it would have conflicted with the Come Fly with Me show. No problem, we moved out Cats reservation to Friday afternoon. The only show we really cared about seeing was the comedy show, so we thought everything was good. Upon returning to our cabin from the iPhone hunt, we found the following from Royal.

23112914851_f171597184_c.jpg

So in addition to moving the Cats show, they moved the Come Fly with Me show to a time that conflicted with the Comedy show. They started within 15 minutes of each other. They also moved the Oasis of Dreams show to conflict with the Frozen show. Maybe they thought that with both a Star Trek group and a Back to the Future group onboard, everyone could use transporters or time travel to see two shows at once:).