Largest Bag You've Carried On?

HollandAvery

I'm curious to know...what is the largest bag you've been able to get away with carrying on, and been able to fit through the security scanners?

I know Carnival says the bag shouldn't exceed 16x24 with no length restrictions, but I'm curious to know if I may just be able to get away with my 18x14 because we are really wanting to just carry-on all our luggage ourselves since we have FTTF. Will the 18x14 really not fit through the scanner because it's 2 inches more than the 16 Carnival wants? We're sailing out of Galveston, if that makes any kind of difference?

If this is really the case of course I'll check it...but if it isn't absolutely necessary I'd like to avoid it.

I'm just curious if anyone has been able to get away with checking a bag bigger than 16x24 and fit it through the scanners?

Oh, and the suitcase I am sitting in in my photo is not the one I'm talking about, hehe xD

Edited by HollandAvery

:rolleyes: :confused:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I was thinking they would just lay the luggage in a way that would allow it to fit despite it being over 16?

It's been a LONG time since I've had anything go through a security scanner...I had a tiny purse go through it last time so I didn't even think twice about the size of anything, lol.

you should be OK.

Just think of your 18"x14" bag being 14"x18" now it fits:)

welcome to cruise critic

Have a great cruise

Exactly what I was thinking. We haul all of ours off when coming home, using bungee cords to link together, as self assist gets you off so much quicker. Some might say we over pack, but, we use everything we bring. Just like to be comfy. But, when boarding the ship, only take an "official" airline approved carry on, and check the rest. We do have 1 bag that is HUGE, but 2 that are bigger than Carnival's guideline measurements, it always looks to me like they would go through the scanner with no problem. Would just pack in that size only and take on when boarding, but afraid to take the chance that they would not fit. Don't know how they would handle that and don't want to find out.:eek:

Exactly what I was thinking. We haul all of ours off when coming home, using bungee cords to link together, as self assist gets you off so much quicker. Some might say we over pack, but, we use everything we bring. Just like to be comfy. But, when boarding the ship, only take an "official" airline approved carry on, and check the rest. We do have 1 bag that is HUGE, but 2 that are bigger than Carnival's guideline measurements, it always looks to me like they would go through the scanner with no problem. Would just pack in that size only and take on when boarding, but afraid to take the chance that they would not fit. Don't know how they would handle that and don't want to find out.:eek:

Lol, my SO says I overpack too. I just ordered another 16x9x20 suitcase for this cruise and he said "ANOTHER ONE?! What in the world do we need it for? We're already taking practically everything we own in our other luggage!". LOL. I'm that person with the checklist for the packing list.

I guess I should look up "official" airline approved carry-on sizes, because I don't know what those are, ha.

But I'm thinking if they don't fit they'll just make me go back outside to the porters and give them the back to check. Which is annoying, because I'd have to start the process all over again (thankfully we have FTTF, but still annoying...). I'd like to avoid that so I'm wondering---should I risk it, should I not? Agh.

You guys made a good point about the 18x14 turning into a 14x18 though. Hehe.

Haha

Really nothing funny about it, the responder gave you the exactly correct response. As long as you measured correctly, luggage can be rotated to fit as long as both the dimensions are smaller that the Carnival provided maximums. There is no risk if you measured correctly.

Edited by lizardhowson

Lol, my SO says I overpack too. I just ordered another 16x9x20 suitcase for this cruise and he said "ANOTHER ONE?! What in the world do we need it for? We're already taking practically everything we own in our other luggage!". LOL. I'm that person with the checklist for the packing list.

I guess I should look up "official" airline approved carry-on sizes, because I don't know what those are, ha.

But I'm thinking if they don't fit they'll just make me go back outside to the porters and give them the back to check. Which is annoying, because I'd have to start the process all over again (thankfully we have FTTF, but still annoying...). I'd like to avoid that so I'm wondering---should I risk it, should I not? Agh.

You guys made a good point about the 18x14 turning into a 14x18 though. Hehe.

I really don't know what the "official" thing is either, just know it was on the tag when purchased. Guess it is the exact measurements allowed for airline travel carry ons. And I was actually being kind to my husband acting like it's a "we" thing about the over packing. I could cruise a whole week out of a carry on. He changes clothes for each of his days events! Work out, poolside, lunch, dinner, pj's, port wear, dress up wear, etc.. X 7! Will never wear the same thing twice. One bag is just for his shoes, caps and extra hangers. They never have enough hangers. I hang all his stuff up, and the only thing I hang of mine is elegant night wear. In a balcony room, (maybe others, I don't know as have only stayed in balconies) there are 3 doors, 2 are closets, one is shelves. I fold my stuff neatly on the shelves. He would root through everything of his if it were folded so it's better if his stuff is hung up. So, if you didn't already know about the hanger situation you might need to tell your SO you need another suitcase for that!;)

Maybe I'm missing something but I always carry all my luggage into my cabin, including my full size luggage that would never fit in an overhead. I never knew there was a size restriction.

I'm strong/fit enough I can haul our luggage up to the room no problem.

I never really saw the advantage of being separated from my luggage.

Maybe I'm missing something but I always carry all my luggage into my cabin, including my full size luggage that would never fit in an overhead. I never knew there was a size restriction.

I looked it up on the Carnival.com site. Luggage should not weigh more than 50 lbs. (I have never seen a porter weigh luggage, might be a different story if I hauled it in with me)

Not to exceed 16' H by 24" W no length restrictions.

I don't like to be separated from our luggage either, and have on every cruise had notes left in cabin describing lost luggage in case it was delivered to wrong cabin. Have seen a lot of posts from people not ever receiving their luggage. I am not too worried that ours will not go through the scanner, more concerned it would be flagged as being overweight. Then what? Run home and get another bag to distribute weight? Which we could, we live less than one mile away, but who wants the stress! We get FTTF and want to quickly get on and start our vacation.:)

Really nothing funny about it, the responder gave you the exactly correct response. As long as you measured correctly, luggage can be rotated to fit as long as both the dimensions are smaller that the Carnival provided maximums. There is no risk if you measured correctly.

My original post didn't simply just say "haha". Not sure what happened, but when I edited it to say something else it looks like the rest of what I typed got deleted.

But yes, thanks, I'm aware they gave a great answer.

I really don't know what the "official" thing is either, just know it was on the tag when purchased. Guess it is the exact measurements allowed for airline travel carry ons. And I was actually being kind to my husband acting like it's a "we" thing about the over packing. I could cruise a whole week out of a carry on. He changes clothes for each of his days events! Work out, poolside, lunch, dinner, pj's, port wear, dress up wear, etc.. X 7! Will never wear the same thing twice. One bag is just for his shoes, caps and extra hangers. They never have enough hangers. I hang all his stuff up, and the only thing I hang of mine is elegant night wear. In a balcony room, (maybe others, I don't know as have only stayed in balconies) there are 3 doors, 2 are closets, one is shelves. I fold my stuff neatly on the shelves. He would root through everything of his if it were folded so it's better if his stuff is hung up. So, if you didn't already know about the hanger situation you might need to tell your SO you need another suitcase for that!;)

Oh gotcha!

Haha love it...your husband actually being the clotheshorse. Too funny!

I didn't even think about hangers honestly...oh my! I guess you're right, I'm going to have to plan for that now too, hehe.

So your full size luggage was able to fit through the security scanners? We have a 29x18x?(never measure the length since they say it doesn't matter)

that I assumed we couldn't carry on since it was 29...but if you've been able to carry on something that large and fit it through the scanners...that would be great news.

I hate being separated from our luggage as well. On one of our other cruises (not Carnival) we watched some luggage get dropped into the ocean so ever since then we've been really paranoid about checking our luggage and just want to carry as much on ourselves as we can. The reason we got FTTF-so we could just drop it off in our room.

I looked it up on the Carnival.com site. Luggage should not weigh more than 50 lbs. (I have never seen a porter weigh luggage, might be a different story if I hauled it in with me)

Not to exceed 16' H by 24" W no length restrictions.

I don't like to be separated from our luggage either, and have on every cruise had notes left in cabin describing lost luggage in case it was delivered to wrong cabin. Have seen a lot of posts from people not ever receiving their luggage. I am not too worried that ours will not go through the scanner, more concerned it would be flagged as being overweight. Then what? Run home and get another bag to distribute weight? Which we could, we live less than one mile away, but who wants the stress! We get FTTF and want to quickly get on and start our vacation.:)

I'm glad I"m not the only one who worries about these things!

I find the 16'H weird, because that's a pretty small suitcase IMO...unless I'm just measuring it incorrectly. But I go by this...

luggage.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to carry on my 29x18x? because of the 16x24 restrictions because I'm afraid it just isn't going to fit in the scanner...which is such a shame because I too am afraid it won't be delivered to our room or something crazy. My SO says I'm overly paranoid.

I find the 16'H weird, because that's a pretty small suitcase IMO...unless I'm just measuring it incorrectly. But I go by this...

luggage.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to carry on my 29x18x? because of the 16x24 restrictions because I'm afraid it just isn't going to fit in the scanner...which is such a shame because I too am afraid it won't be delivered to our room or something crazy. My SO says I'm overly paranoid.

I think you have the height and the length reversed for this purpose. Think of it laying on it's back.

My carry on is just the right size, so I have no problem. However, there was a time in Port Canaveral that customs told a person his carry on bag was to big and made him take it back to the porters so they could put it on. I have seen people with large carry on luggage that boarded and I wondered how they ever got it on. But, if security says it's ok, than no problem.

luggage.jpg

OK. For the scanner the 29" measurement won't matter. Since one of your measurements is 18" the other measurement that you have not given would have to be 16" or less. That would give you a measurement under the 16" by 24". Of course you never know what the people at the port might say. There are times they don't even know the rules and you might be asked to check it.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

Thank you all for your responses!

So I'm guessing as long as it's not too wide (over 24') when laying on it's back, it should be okay to go through the scanners?

I guess the worst that could happen is that they tell is it's a no go and make us take it back out to the porters, which would suck, but we plan to get there at 10am anyway, so it would put us too far behind.

I'll give it a shot, hehe.

I'll do the full measurements, but since they said length didn't matter that is why I never measured the length. I just measured height and width. I don't think length will be an issue though...I mean, laying flat it certainly should be too high, unless the scanner just really is THAT short. I just have to make sure it isn't too wide, so less than 24'. I think the height was my main issue with our largest suitcase.

Thank you all for your responses!

So I'm guessing as long as it's not too wide (over 24') when laying on it's back, it should be okay to go through the scanners?

I guess the worst that could happen is that they tell is it's a no go and make us take it back out to the porters, which would suck, but we plan to get there at 10am anyway, so it would put us too far behind.

I'll give it a shot, hehe.

I'll do the full measurements, but since they said length didn't matter that is why I never measured the length. I just measured height and width. I don't think length will be an issue though...I mean, laying flat it certainly should be too high, unless the scanner just really is THAT short. I just have to make sure it isn't too wide, so less than 24'. I think the height was my main issue with our largest suitcase.

I am not sure that you have got it yet. Lying flat, the LENGTH is from top handle to bottom (feet it stands on) So, standing it up it certainly would be too tall. Unless you meant "it certainly shouldn't be too high, instead of "should" that you posted. I just went downstairs and measured my largest suitcase and was surprised that will be fine as to measurements. I just know that they will ALL be over 50 lbs and that's my worry.:(

I am not sure that you have got it yet. Lying flat, the LENGTH is from top handle to bottom (feet it stands on) So, standing it up it certainly would be too tall. Unless you meant "it certainly shouldn't be too high, instead of "should" that you posted. I just went downstairs and measured my largest suitcase and was surprised that will be fine as to measurements. I just know that they will ALL be over 50 lbs and that's my worry.:(

Yes, sorry I think I just typed too quickly and wrote 'should' on accident.

What I meant is I'd just have to worry about the width mostly when laying it flat. As long as it isn't too wide (under 24') it should be able to fit through the scanner.

Yeah I worry a bit about the 50lb thing. Although I don't think it should be an issue if you are carrying them on yourself, considering you''re going to have to do the work of lifting them and carrying them around instead of the porters. I always thought the 50lb limit thing was just for the porters, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by HollandAvery

We frequently cruise out of Galveston. We carry on all of our luggage. At least every other cruise, we have one of the porters tell us that our luggage is "too big", and that we need to turn it over to them. We just tell them "nope", and keep on walking.

It is a little bit of a hassle to haul them up onto the xray belt and off again, but is worth the peace of mind.

As long as the width and height (laying down) meet the regs.. (and almost 99% of the time it will)..carryon is the way to go.

*the weight limit is a suggestion..not a rule .. unless you are flying!

Last cruise we traveled with just carry-ons only. They measure 21 x 14.5 x 8. I get super paranoid about missing bags so we try to only travel with carry-ons. Loved being able to just walk off the plane and go straight to transportation and same on port. We had no problems at all with our bags going through security scanners.