Wow, What a Captain: Vision of the Seas

pequita

(pssssssst)...........the computer really "sails the ship"..........much like a train engineer and airplane pilot most of the skill is in stopping and starting their respective vehicle.......

To a certain extent that is true, but there is always a qualified bridge officer and a couple of others on the bridge monitoring. Also, there are plenty of times the "computer" (autopilot) isn't driving the ship, just like an airplane. The bridge officers can drive the ship as necessary. Don't make this so simplistic as it's not. It takes a lot of training to "drive" a ship and make the decisions that are necessary, (navigation routes are set by Miami-RCI HQ, but that said, they have the ability to maneuver as necessary). Most of the skill is not in starting and stopping. There's a lot more to it than that.

The Captain is always on the bridge when the ship is arriving and leaving ports and in any channel. He has ultimate responsibility for the ship and it's passengers, at all times. He ensures his bridge officers are qualified and have his trust.

Captain Marek knows his job. We went on a bridge tour with him and he is more than qualified, but he also thrives on the attention he gets. It's his personality. He's obviously an extrovert, which is fine, but there needs to be a separation. There was some familiarity we witnessed that crossed a line and that's all I'm going to say, except for, he needs to be careful in public, specifically speciality restaurants.

Edited by BND

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from the Vision of the Seas. The Captain of the ship, Captain Merick was unbelievable in every way. I have never seen a Captain so involved with his crew in my life. He was highly visible, very friendly, good anouncements and treated all the crew like a family and his team.

So out-going he was that he participated in all the crew shows, mingled with the guest at the windjammer on a daily basis and stopped you and asked about you and your experience on the ship.

He should be a bench-mark for all Captains. Everyone was talking about him and his invovement with his crew. His actions were notice by everyone and you could tell his crew or team respected him to the highest.

He is the best advertisment Royal Caribbean has.

That is so wonderful to hear! He is a very good friend of mine.I will let him know!:D

Dan, welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can put your flame suit away. Everyone has favorites, whether it be captains, hotel directors, cruise directors, and the list goes on.

What is so interesting about this thread, is the fact that the captain of the ship really sets the mood for the rest of the ship to follow. And, there are some very outgoing captains, and the whole ship seems to respond, very positive.

Captain Marek, Sullivan, Liz, and a few others are very good examples of captains that seem to go out of their way to be friendly, yet just enough aloofness to let everyone know who is in charge.

Rick

Captain Johnny is by far the most popular Captain that RCI has. But Captain Marek is approaching fast! :D

(pssssssst)...........the computer really "sails the ship"..........much like a train engineer and airplane pilot most of the skill is in stopping and starting their respective vehicle.......

(pssssssssst) But you have to have a Captain to get the ship in port and out of port.Computers cannot do that. Also when the ship starts listing and moving you have to have a Captain steering the ship.The Captain also has to chart their course. So Captains are very important still. :D

Don't put him on too high a pedestal. He's just as imperfect as the rest of us. It's too easy to be dazzled by personality.

As for what the pp posted, yes the Captain needs to be good at his real job, but, that said, there are multiple qualified officers who do the actual driving of the ship most of the time.

A good manager allows his staff to set the mood by being good managers themselves. Captains are usually more removed from their staff in order to keep that line drawn between familiarity and respect. He has to be in charge, and doesn't have to be liked, just respected. If anyone knows how the military and merchant mariners operate, he's not the norm. We also didn't find the crew any happier on Vision than we have on other ships we've been on - Grandeur in particular.

My main issue with him is that he seems to thrive on the attention, kind of like a celebrity.

Captain Marek job is to make sure his guests are taken care of.He does that beyond expectations. And it is good to be Captain! He chooses to interact with his guests because he can. :D

(pssssssssst) But you have to have a Captain to get the ship in port and out of port.Computers cannot do that. Also when the ship starts listing and moving you have to have a Captain steering the ship.The Captain also has to chart their course. So Captains are very important still. :D

......as an airline pilot.......moments of excitement with hours of boredom.....:)

Captain Marek job is to make sure his guests are taken care of.He does that beyond expectations. And it is good to be Captain! He chooses to interact with his guests because he can. :D

His job, as Captain and Master of the Vessel, is actually to make sure the ship is taken care of and the passengers and crew are safe. My DH is a retired US Navy Captain so I kind of understand. But, as for interaction with the guests, let's just say it's too easy to cross a line and that of course can apply to anyone in a position of power.

Edited by BND

We just cruised with Captain Marek and I agree - he was amazing - I have never cruised with such an accessible captain - he was in the Centrum most nights, singing and dancing - then out at the pool deck playing volleyball with the guests and even getting hosed down during a "Splash Party" - Plus he personally said goodbye as we left the ship.

Have to add that Elvis, the Activities Director (? I think that was his title) was also incredible. Great energy from the whole crew, but the Captain and Elvis really made every day special.

Re:We just cruised with Captain Marek and I agree - he was amazing - I have never cruised with such an accessible captain - he was in the Centrum most nights, singing and dancing - then out at the pool deck playing volleyball with the guests and even getting hosed down during a "Splash Party" - Plus he personally said goodbye as we left the ship.

Have to add that Elvis, the Activities Director (? I think that was his title) was also incredible. Great energy from the whole crew, but the Captain and Elvis really made every day special.

I have to agree with Wendy (FunkyMum)....it was wonderful to met you and your family. Everything you stated was spot on. The other gentleman who worked with Elvis was hilarious as well. Elvis and him worked well together.

It was very refreshing to have Capt Marek personally say good bye to us as we left. We have never seen this before. On a serious note though he was an OUTSTANDING Capt. that made excellent decisions when coming into the port when the waves were choppy as well as any other time during the cruise. It's also kind of funny how he handles people that were late getting back to the ship. He lets everyone on the ship know (from his announcements) that so and so was running late due to last minute shopping. It's funny but it also lets the people know that you need to be on the ship when you are suppose to. BRAVO! As for the crew...it's wonderful that he had other crew members (room attendants etc.) participate in a cultural show that was put on by them personally. IMHO I thought this was wonderful because this gave the other employees a chance to shine....not that they already do a wonderful job.

Rubrick good to see you on the thread. I agree with everything you said.