Wow, What a Captain: Vision of the Seas

pequita

Just got back from the Vision of the Seas. The Captain of the ship, Captain Merick was unbelievable in every way. I have never seen a Captain so involved with his crew in my life. He was highly visible, very friendly, good anouncements and treated all the crew like a family and his team.

So out-going he was that he participated in all the crew shows, mingled with the guest at the windjammer on a daily basis and stopped you and asked about you and your experience on the ship.

He should be a bench-mark for all Captains. Everyone was talking about him and his invovement with his crew. His actions were notice by everyone and you could tell his crew or team respected him to the highest.

He is the best advertisment Royal Caribbean has.

Just got back from the Vision of the Seas. The Captain of the ship, Captain Merick was unbelievable in every way. I have never seen a Captain so involved with his crew in my life. He was highly visible, very friendly, good anouncements and treated all the crew like a family and his team.

So out-going he was that he participated in all the crew shows, mingled with the guest at the windjammer on a daily basis and stopped you and asked about you and your experience on the ship.

He should be a bench-mark for all Captains. Everyone was talking about him and his invovement with his crew. His actions were notice by everyone and you could tell his crew or team respected him to the highest.

He is the best advertisment Royal Caribbean has.

I couldn't agree more! I was shocked to see him all over the ship! Plus he's not bad to look at either! LOL

We were on Vision in 2012 and Capt. Shrecko Ban was on board. Same thing. What a fantastic Captain. He was evident everywhere, and it was reflected in the morale of the crew. His officers also spent a great deal of time with the passengers. We were on a 14 night TA and a couple of nights one of the officers came to the Diamond event in the Crown Lounge and spent a good hour with our group (8 of us). What a great experience. He did that a few nights. Capt. Ban commented on our ties during the Captains Reception. One of our group half-jokingly said he should invite us for dinner. He, of course, stated that there were a number of high time return guests but he said he'd see what he can do. We saw him occasionally and he would state "I'm still trying to get your group to dinner." We thought how nice it was that he remembered us, but we knew it wouldn't likely happen with all the Pinnacle and suite guests. Then a couple of nights before the final formal night, Capt. Ban personally came to the Diamond Event and found one of our party. He said he had been looking for us to get our cabin numbers so he could invite us to the Captain's Table for the final formal night! That's right! The CAPTAIN came looking personally.

Amazing how much Captains like these can affect not only the crew, but also passengers experience. They are great representatives of Royal Caribbean.

Edited by papaflamingo

We were on Vision in 2012 and Capt. Shrecko Ban was on board. Same thing. What a fantastic Captain. .

What was odd that while Capt. Shrecko Ban came to the diamond lounge daily on the Quantum and was very visible, he was missing in action when we were on Vision.

This just shows how this can vary from sailing to sailing, depending 'who' is onboard.

We had one sailing where we had an OS and two GS's on Vision and were in the Concierge lounge just before dinner nightly and he never made an appearance and they only allowed contact with him as part of an odd photo session on stage where passengers lined up for photos. He did make the welcome aboard and farewell speeches, but nothing more.

I look forward to sailing with Captain Merek in the future.

AGREE.....

We also just got off Vision. Captain Marek's enthusiasm spread throughout the ship and his team.

Royal should be very proud to have him leading the Vision!

He also sings very well.....lol

Does he sing better than Rick Sullivan, recently master of Explorer?

You haven't been to a top-tier event until you've heard Captain Rick's Margaritaville.

I wonder how long Captain Marek will be on, or if he'll be back on Vision in time for our January cruise.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Does he sing better than Rick Sullivan, recently master of Explorer?

You haven't been to a top-tier event until you've heard Captain Rick's Margaritaville.

I wonder how long Captain Marek will be on, or if he'll be back on Vision in time for our January cruise.

I would not say Marek is better or worse than Rick, they each have their different styles.

Edited by clarea

AGREE.....

We also just got off Vision. Captain Marek's enthusiasm spread throughout the ship and his team.

Royal should be very proud to have him leading the Vision!

He also sings very well.....lol

We did the April crossing with Captain Liz and she herself said we would have a fun time with Captain Marek, she was not wrong.

I have never taken so many pics or video of a captain singing and dancing though I did think he was going to make Lorraine and I walk the gang plank when we scored him 4 for his Jive in Dancing with the Stripes , lol.

So often we see new members, who apparently joined Cruise Critic just so they could vent their complaints, dive in and dump a long, negative post about how awful their experiences on this awful cruise line have been (often in one huge paragraph). Pequita, you did a beautiful job of showing a very positive point of view, well written and well documented. Thank you, and come back often!

We were on Vision with Captain Merek in February of 15. What a GREAT time we had.

His fun and enthusiasm trickles down to the crew.

DeeDee (one of the officers) was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. What a truly delightful young woman. We had occasion to meet several of the senior officers and they reflected the captain's attitude.

As stated, what a shame more Master's aren't like him.

We also disembarked at the weekend and couldn't agree more with the OP.

Several of the more junior members of the crew told us that Captain Marek treated all the crew alike, regardless of their position. Very good to hear.

And his singing? Brilliant rock sound.

We sailed with Captain Marek last February and I have to agree with so many of the poster's on this thread. He was probably one of the most personable captains we've ever sailed with. He is the first captain I've ever seen conduct the bridge tours. The crew seemed to be one of the happiest we've encountered and I think that is a direct reflection on the captain.

And, as another poster said, he is not bad to look at!;)

Sherri

We sailed with him in February on Vison. We totally agree, great attitude, very visible, fun to visit with and the crew was fabulous.

We were on Vision with Captain Merek in February of 15. What a GREAT time we had.

His fun and enthusiasm trickles down to the crew.

DeeDee (one of the officers) was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. What a truly delightful young woman. We had occasion to meet several of the senior officers and they reflected the captain's attitude.

As stated, what a shame more Master's aren't like him.

Hey guys, how's it going? Hope you have been well.

I was on the same sailing as the two gentlemen quoted above and agree wholeheartedly that he was the most visible captain we've had to date. Very friendly, outgoing, and seemed to be everywhere around the ship participating in all of the various activities.

The Bridge tour with him was fun too.

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P

It sounds like whether we get Captain Marek or Captain Liz on our January 2016 Vision cruise, we will have a great experience, inasmuch as the captain can set the tone for a ship.

Thanks, all, for the info.

Capt. Liz is no longer on Vision. I think she is on the Jewel now.