Safety on the High Seas

shadbrew

I agree with you, would like to do another Nile Cruise but absolutely no chance. Look at Brussels this weekend, no way would I go. I wouldn't go to Greece either. But, that is my point, the terrorists are winning:(

But if we trade one really good place to visit for another that we wanted to visit and feel more comfortable visiting right now are they really winning or are we playing the hand that we are dealt and still enjoying life inspite of them? I vote the latter.:)

Has anybody heard anything from their respective cruise companies about any change of itinerary to planned trips to Belgium in the coming weeks given the alert level and what's being broadcast on the news this weekend? I'm due to dock there in December...

A P&O ship which was doing a short cruise to Amsterdam and Zeebrugge didn't dock at Z yesterday, even though it was just Brussels which was in lock down.

I agree with you, would like to do another Nile Cruise but absolutely no chance. Look at Brussels this weekend, no way would I go. I wouldn't go to Greece either. But, that is my point, the terrorists are winning:(

Do you include Mexico in your personal travel ban?

yes, but not because of terrorism, because of violent crime...

i've had mexico in my no go zone for years and years...

You might be shocked to know that the region around Puerto Vallarta (where we live in the winter months) has an American/Canadian expat population of approximately 60,000 who happily enjoy Mexico. And there are other parts of Mexico (such as Lake Chapala) that also have huge populations of expats. Painting Mexico with a broad brush is like saying, "I would never go to the United States because of all the violence in Chicago." And it is the same around the world where the press (and many folks) have a tendency to ignore geography and facts in favor of hysterics. To me what is truly amazing is that anyone ever gets in an automobile...since around 1.3 million souls are killed every year just riding in a vehicle. And I wonder if you are aware that Alaska has the highest percentage of rapes (to the general population) of all 50 States! It is hard to understand why any female would want to go to Alaska

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-does-alaska-have-such-a-high-rate-rape-2013-9

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You might be shocked to know that the region around Puerto Vallarta (where we live in the winter months) has an American/Canadian expat population of approximately 60,000 who happily enjoy Mexico. And there are other parts of Mexico (such as Lake Chapala) that also have huge populations of expats. Painting Mexico with a broad brush is like saying, "I would never go to the United States because of all the violence in Chicago." And it is the same around the world where the press (and many folks) have a tendency to ignore geography and facts in favor of hysterics. To me what is truly amazing is that anyone ever gets in an automobile...since around 1.3 million souls are killed every year just riding in a vehicle. And I wonder if you are aware that Alaska has the highest percentage of rapes (to the general population) of all 50 States! It is hard to understand why any female would want to go to Alaska

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-does-alaska-have-such-a-high-rate-rape-2013-9

Hank

and my friends who live there tell me not to come, so whom am i to believe...(and yes, in the past i was in mexico many times...i don't miss it...)

want to defend south africa too? it's also on my no visit list...(except on those unfortunate occasions when i'm required to by my company)...

...and my friends who live there tell me not to come, so whom am i to believe...(and yes, in the past i was in mexico many times...i don't miss it...)...

Hmmm. If I had friends (?) who told me not to come visit them, I might wonder what I had done to offend them.

My father used to live in the Lake Chapala area (near Guadalajara) and we visited several times. Nice country. I hitch-hiked through south-to-north Guatemala to U.S. when I was a teenager, have been back a few times since in different regions. I don't know of any reason why it should be on anybody's "no go" list. It is not, however, U.S., Canada, or Western Europe. So if it puts you outside of your comfort zone to be in a place that is different and scary, then staying home is probably a good option for you.

My own do-not-travel list at this point includes only: a) Egypt; b) Syria; and c) Russia. Russia because I would not want to do anything to in any way give my business to the thugs that run that gangster enterprise. Syria because of the anarchy there. Egypt I could be persuaded to change my mind...

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

and my friends who live there tell me not to come, so whom am i to believe...(and yes, in the past i was in mexico many times...i don't miss it...)

want to defend south africa too? it's also on my no visit list...(except on those unfortunate occasions when i'm required to by my company)...

Hmm. We also have "friends" we discourage from coming to Mexico.... On the other hand, our extra bedroom is pretty busy this year (with other friends who we welcome). So perhaps you can draw your own conclusion why your friends tell YOU not to come :).

Hank

No. Different sort of violence. Don't think anyone in Mexico is going to want to kill me because I am English;).

A stray round, robbery gone bad, or suicide bomber can all leave one in the same state. Motive makes no difference.

It seems to me North Americans are over reacting to the events in Paris. That sort of evil is tragic and shocking. But looked at dispassionately, no more so than the daily violence taking place in our own or nearby neighborhoods.

A stray round, robbery gone bad, or suicide bomber can all leave one in the same state. Motive makes no difference.

It seems to me North Americans are over reacting to the events in Paris. That sort of evil is tragic and shocking. But looked at dispassionately, no more so than the daily violence taking place in our own or nearby neighborhoods.

Maybe the daily violence of Toronto. Not 1.25 hr west though. :)

Not just North Americans, the London to Paris Eurostar train has been almost empty since the massacre.

Even if we add the terrorattacks in Paris you would statisticaly be safer in France then in the U.S when it comes to gun related deaths.

ISIS want people to think that they are bigger and more organised then they are. They have more twitter accounts then soliders...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Even if we add the terrorattacks in Paris you would statisticaly be safer in France then in the U.S when it comes to gun related deaths.

ISIS want people to think that they are bigger and more organised then they are. They have more twitter accounts then soliders...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Not sure what point you were trying to prove statistically with this chart, but if people are trying to avoid the 'death per 100k' statistic, seems like they'd better stop going to central/south american ports, and also Jamaica.

No. Different sort of violence. Don't think anyone in Mexico is going to want to kill me because I am English;).

You would be a potential kidnap or robbery victim in Mexico due to being an English tourist there as you would be perceived as having money.

The thing that is important to understand about Mexico is that the various tourist communities want money from tourism because that creates jobs, so often information about crimes is suppressed so as not to scare off the tourists.

You would be a potential kidnap or robbery victim in Mexico due to being an English tourist there as you would be perceived as having money.

The thing that is important to understand about Mexico is that the various tourist communities want money from tourism because that creates jobs, so often information about crimes is suppressed so as not to scare off the tourists.

You think? Having lived in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) for the past 10 winters we should probably defer to your expertise :). On the other hand, DW and I feel very comfortable out in the streets (even back streets) late at night while in Mexico. But we do understand the danger of getting hit by a bus (those drivers are really vicious) which is indeed a crime.

Hank

Than you for enlightening me. After spending the past 10 years living in Mexico (for 2 months a year) we certainly will defer to your expertise on such matters :). Am looking forward to soon being back in Puerto Vallarta....and not being "scared off" by crime reports. One truly has to be careful not to get hit by a bus (which would be a real crime) after having too many margaritas.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Than you for enlightening me. After spending the past 10 years living in Mexico (for 2 months a year) we certainly will defer to your expertise on such matters :). Am looking forward to soon being back in Puerto Vallarta....and not being "scared off" by crime reports. But trust me that getting hit by a bus after having too many Margaritas would be a real crime.

Now, would you like to talk about suppressed crime reports on cruise ships? Nah. That is no fun. But you can read about it

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

Hank

Edited by Hlitner