Choose The Suite Life... Or Not?

Hi All, We recently booked our first cruise on RC Oasis of the Seas for Feb of 2017. Yes I am planning way, way ahead :)

We have booked a Royal Family Suite but are debating if we should move to connecting rooms. The price diff appears to be about $3k, so I'm looking for any and all opinions from those who have sailed on this ship in the past. Even from those who have never sailed in a Suite... did you have a great time? Was service lacking? Is the extra money worth it? Etc.

To give this some context. This will be our 4th cruise. We have only sailed Disney in the past and have a Disney cruise (star wars themed) booked for this Feb 2016. We do love the service on Disney and my boys have a great time, but with limited ports I wanted to try some new ports and wanted a new ship to explore.

We are a family of 5. I have 3 boys, they will be 13 (almost 14), 10 and 6 (almost 7) when we sail. Two separate areas is a must for us. On every other cruise we have always done two connecting rooms. We've been fine with two connecting ocean views.

There is a possibility my parents may join us on the cruise but they would not be able to afford a suite so I'm also worried if we get a suite that we may not be able to enjoy the perks if we can't do it with my parents, so that is another consideration. Also when we get two connecting rooms we have two living room areas which is nice and in the family suite there are two bedrooms but only one living room area.

I have done some reading and Coastal Kitchen sounds nice (seems you can only do that if in a suite right?). I don't mind paying more for better service- I do think that is why Disney cruises are more. I also detest waiting in lines or waiting for shows so the idea that space is saved at those places seems awesome to me as well. And what are priority tender tickets for and is it a great perk? I also like the idea of going to Barefoot Beach but maybe wouldn't be able to go anyway if my parents aren't in a suite.

And of course if we pay less for rooms I could justify spending a lot extra money on the ship in other places.

Like I said, any and all thoughts are appreciated!!

For me family would trump the perks. I like the service that a suite provides as well as the perks of Barefoot Beach and priority tendering (getting off the ship first). We have cruised in both suites and non, but if I was traveling with friends or family that could not swing a suite there would be no choice for me, I would pass on the suite. Your family will not be eligible for the reserved seating for shows, Coastal Kitchen, Barefoot Beach, or the suite sundeck. Just my opinion.

For me family would trump the perks. I like the service that a suite provides as well as the perks of Barefoot Beach and priority tendering (getting off the ship first). We have cruised in both suites and non, but if I was traveling with friends or family that could not swing a suite there would be no choice for me, I would pass on the suite. Your family will not be eligible for the reserved seating for shows, Coastal Kitchen, Barefoot Beach, or the suite sundeck. Just my opinion.

Well I guess its not about family trumping anything, I just want to understand what we can and can't do without them to make an informed decision. For instance I read on another thread that if we linked our reservations I could book Coastal Kitchen for the entire party even if they aren't in a suite. Can anyone validate that?

Is priority tendering only for disembarkation day or is tendering also at each port? On DCL we just walk off without any issue.

The suite has a huge balcony and it says as suite guests we can also order room service from the dining room, I assume we could hang out as a group and I could include them in my order??

For shows do they save the same number of seats as people in your room? So if my kids aren't interested in a show could I take my parents in their place in the reserved seating?

If we don't go suite how bad are the lines in Feb. Did others not in a suite find the experience lacking from a service perspective? We are going over valentines day so I'm concerned the ship will be very full and we won't have as good of an experience if we don't pay extra for some of the suite perks.

I'm interested in stuff like that. Thanks :)

If the Royal Family Suite has two bedrooms -and- you and your folks could stay in the same area overnight, I'd take that option with the children in a nearby room.

Everyone would - probably - be able to be together throughout the cruise as children usually get to accompany the parents.

Another option would be to book everyone as above, but once on board, move one set of adults to the spare (children's room) for the night. All you would have to do is get new keycards and make sure that charges go to the correct card user not the owner of the room.

If the Royal Family Suite has two bedrooms -and- you and your folks could stay in the same area overnight, I'd take that option with the children in a nearby room.

Everyone would - probably - be able to be together throughout the cruise as children usually get to accompany the parents.

Another option would be to book everyone as above, but once on board, move one set of adults to the spare (children's room) for the night. All you would have to do is get new keycards and make sure that charges go to the correct card user not the owner of the room.

Very interesting :) I like option two. Does RCI allow you to book kids in a separate room with no adult on the reservation? I know DCL doesn't but I've never done RCI. I assume since kids are cheaper in the family suite that we'd still have an upcharge if I included 4 adults in the suite and 3 kids in a separate room?

Hi All, We recently booked our first cruise on RC Oasis of the Seas for Feb of 2017. Yes I am planning way, way ahead :)

We have booked a Royal Family Suite but are debating if we should move to connecting rooms. The price diff appears to be about $3k, so I'm looking for any and all opinions from those who have sailed on this ship in the past. Even from those who have never sailed in a Suite... did you have a great time? Was service lacking? Is the extra money worth it? Etc.

To give this some context. This will be our 4th cruise. We have only sailed Disney in the past and have a Disney cruise (star wars themed) booked for this Feb 2016. We do love the service on Disney and my boys have a great time, but with limited ports I wanted to try some new ports and wanted a new ship to explore.

We are a family of 5. I have 3 boys, they will be 13 (almost 14), 10 and 6 (almost 7) when we sail. Two separate areas is a must for us. On every other cruise we have always done two connecting rooms. We've been fine with two connecting ocean views.

There is a possibility my parents may join us on the cruise but they would not be able to afford a suite so I'm also worried if we get a suite that we may not be able to enjoy the perks if we can't do it with my parents, so that is another consideration. Also when we get two connecting rooms we have two living room areas which is nice and in the family suite there are two bedrooms but only one living room area.

I have done some reading and Coastal Kitchen sounds nice (seems you can only do that if in a suite right?). I don't mind paying more for better service- I do think that is why Disney cruises are more. I also detest waiting in lines or waiting for shows so the idea that space is saved at those places seems awesome to me as well. And what are priority tender tickets for and is it a great perk? I also like the idea of going to Barefoot Beach but maybe wouldn't be able to go anyway if my parents aren't in a suite.

And of course if we pay less for rooms I could justify spending a lot extra money on the ship in other places.

You never tender on an Oasis cruise.

To try to answer some of your questions:

We could make arrangements to take our adult kids to Coastal Kitchen, because they had room for them. I think it depends on availability, and i dont know if you can make reservations prior to the cruise using the cruise planner.

As Carol said, no tendering on Oasis class.

You wil priority debarkation on debarkation day, but the rest of your party will not.

If you rent a cabana on Labadee, you are allowed to take a number of guests with you, even if they are not in a suite. However, most cabanas are iimited to 6 guests, but you might be able to get the concierge to allow 7. If you do not rent a cabana, folks not in a suite will not be allowed on Barefoot Beach.

As far as the reserved seats for the shows.....there is a separate section for gold card holders and they will check your card before you are allowed to enter that section. There are not enough seats for everyone in a suite in that section (not everyone in a suite will be going to that show so that is not a problem). They will hold those seats until about 15 minutes before the performance starts then open them up to anyone, regardless of the color of their seapass card.

Hope this helps a little.

rita

Is a suite worth the extra cost? Only you can answer that.

I have been in the Royal Family Suite (RFS) on the Freedom of the Seas and I have been in a regular cabin on the Allure of the Seas (a sister ship to the Oasis). I have been on a total of twelve Royal Caribbean cruises. I don't believe the service in the suites is better. The cruise after I was in an ocean view and I felt the service while I was in the ocean view was much better than the service while I was in the RFS. I will admit, for my next Royal Caribbean cruise I have selected another suite, just to see if things have improved.

I was in the RFS because I wanted everyone to be together. With five in your family there is room for your parents? The RFS can sleep eight. The living room area of two connecting cabins would be about the same size as the living room area in the RFS.

You will not get priority tender tickets on the Oasis OTS since the ship never tenders - it always docks.

You've mentions of the perks that work in your favor. However, you also mentioned the restrictions if your entire party is not in a suite.

Again, only you can decide if the suite is worth the extra money.

Very interesting :) I like option two. Does RCI allow you to book kids in a separate room with no adult on the reservation? I know DCL doesn't but I've never done RCI. I assume since kids are cheaper in the family suite that we'd still have an upcharge if I included 4 adults in the suite and 3 kids in a separate room?

KIDS are not cheaper in the family suite. Any 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th guest in that suite, regardless of age, is the same price, which is usually less than the first and second guest. (I say"usually" as i have seen guests 3 and 4 be priced higher than 1 and 2 but that is a rare occurrence.)Royal allows you to have the kids in a room directly across the hall or next door without having an adult in that room.

KIDS are not cheaper in the family suite. Any 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th guest in that suite, regardless of age, is the same price, which is usually less than the first and second guest. (I say"usually" as i have seen guests 3 and 4 be priced higher than 1 and 2 but that is a rare occurrence.)Royal allows you to have the kids in a room directly across the hall or next door without having an adult in that room.

I see, so I'd just have to see if one of the rooms across or right next door is available and put 4 adults, 1 kid in the suite AND 2 kids in the room next door. I would think this would work except seems the kids won't be able to priority check in and stuff... I guess I can call and ask RCI what they think and if I can book stuff together as a family if they are connected.

OK- I did screw up on the pricing a bit. Its more like a $2k difference. I didn't realize the site was only including 4 people in my search and not 5. So there is that.

I think we will go w/ the suite. Its a 2 bedroom w/ a larger living room and large deck. Then maybe if it works out we will put the two youngest kids in a nearby room if available and put my parents with us that way we can use the suite lounge together and sit together. Has any one done this before? I assume the big draw back is no expidited boarding together since one room isn't a suite? Or do they still let us since all the people in the other room are under 18?

Thanks again for all the replies!!!

$3000 is a bunch of fun elsewhere, IMO...the only 'monetary" suite perk is the free alcohol from 5-8 daily....

Well it seems there are others, for instance eating at CK seems nice. And I work a lot so I don't mind paying extra to ensure I really enjoy a vacation. If I don't have to worry about saving seats for a show and will have extra concierge perks that save me time that does appeal to me. Time is money right???

Is a suite worth the extra cost? Only you can answer that.

I have been in the Royal Family Suite (RFS) on the Freedom of the Seas and I have been in a regular cabin on the Allure of the Seas (a sister ship to the Oasis). I have been on a total of twelve Royal Caribbean cruises. I don't believe the service in the suites is better. The cruise after I was in an ocean view and I felt the service while I was in the ocean view was much better than the service while I was in the RFS. I will admit, for my next Royal Caribbean cruise I have selected another suite, just to see if things have improved.

I was in the RFS because I wanted everyone to be together. With five in your family there is room for your parents? The RFS can sleep eight. The living room area of two connecting cabins would be about the same size as the living room area in the RFS.

You will not get priority tender tickets on the Oasis OTS since the ship never tenders - it always docks.

You've mentions of the perks that work in your favor. However, you also mentioned the restrictions if your entire party is not in a suite.

Again, only you can decide if the suite is worth the extra money.

Yeah, except never having sailed RCI its hard for me to determine if its "worth it". :) The family suite I have only sleeps 6. Its 12648, I guess it used to be the presidential suite but was divided in two? But I wouldn't want to share w/ my parents anyway... seems a bit too close for comfort and I'm sure they would want some privacy.

I am intrigued by this idea of putting them in my room and putting the kids in a nearby room, but then my parents can stay in that room. Since the kids are under 18 I assume they would be allowed to go where we go. I would love someone here to confirm if they have every done this. I would think this is a common situation.

Edited by ForMyBoys2015

you being in a suite means NOTHING WRT to service out and about. you are treated the same as everyone else. the seating for shows is often NOT the best location and only gold card holders can access it unless there are still empty seats about 10 minutes before in which case they will allow anyone to sit there. and no you may NOT save seats for guests not in a suite until that time.

any suite only areas( poolside etc) would NOT be accessible to anyone not in the suite.

We had the same discussion about our May 2016 FOS cruise. There are 4 of us, me, my wife, and our 2 sons (3 & 6). We opted for 2 connecting room instead of a suite and it mainly came down to money. Not a ton of perks that we would have taken advantage of - most of the other posters have mentioned them. If it was just the two of us we probably would have done the suite, however. To us the biggest perk is Coastal Kitchen.

Also remember the suite perks are changing next summer. In addition to current suite perks your Royal suite will give you access to the thermal spa (if it even exists on Oasis....) and free internet.

you being in a suite means NOTHING WRT to service out and about. you are treated the same as everyone else. the seating for shows is often NOT the best location and only gold card holders can access it unless there are still empty seats about 10 minutes before in which case they will allow anyone to sit there. and no you may NOT save seats for guests not in a suite until that time.

any suite only areas( poolside etc) would NOT be accessible to anyone not in the suite.

I kind of feel like you are yelling at me :eek:

But anyway, from my reading. If there is a family suite available with a non-suite connecting room then we are able to book all adults in the suite and put two kids in the connecting room. And from searching various threads I found someone in this situation who got this reply from Concierge:

"Although the Concierge Services, amenities and reserved areas for suite guests are exclusively for guests with Gold SeaPass cards only (suite guests), we will make sure we can accommodate the rest of you family as well."

So it appears they would let the kids tag along. So at least I have those answers and can make a more informed decision. :)

We had the same discussion about our May 2016 FOS cruise. There are 4 of us, me, my wife, and our 2 sons (3 & 6). We opted for 2 connecting room instead of a suite and it mainly came down to money. Not a ton of perks that we would have taken advantage of - most of the other posters have mentioned them. If it was just the two of us we probably would have done the suite, however. To us the biggest perk is Coastal Kitchen.

Also remember the suite perks are changing next summer. In addition to current suite perks your Royal suite will give you access to the thermal spa (if it even exists on Oasis....) and free internet.

Thanks for the additional info!!! It seems they are getting something called genie's as well??

I just got off the Enchantment last Month. Was in the Royal Family Suite with 4 of my friends. Absolutely loved it. The wrap around balcony, the reserved seating at shows, the cabana we rented at Coco Cay. There was our own area for lunch with other suite guests, had the usual fare to eat plus shrimp, steak, chicken. The bar was just for that area too, half the time the bartender did not charge us for drinks, we tipped him very nicely. We enjoyed not being in direct sunlight that day. I also enjoyed the extra points you get for being in a suite. We were completely and totally spoiled rotten. I am recently divorced and took my friends on the trip, ex-hubby's loss, their gain!

Whatever you decide, you will have so much fun.

Myra

For embarkation and debarkation, we were told that all members of our party could go together even if they did not have a gold card. You should also be able to make reservation for coastal kitchen for a table of 7 with no problem. Barefoot beach you do have to show your gold card unless you rent a cabana If you opt to put the boys in a non suite they will of course, let them in. the concierge lounge is only for those over 18 after 5PM. If you opt for the non suite for all of you and you have reservations for the shows which you book online ahead of time, then you don't have to wait for long. They scan you card and you go in. As far as not being able to reserve seats in the suite area for shows. that may be the policy but that is not what happens. You would indeed be able to save 2 seats without any problem. they did all around us. there is a thermal suite on the Oasis and you will have access to that for free being in a royal suite with the new suite perks coming after May 2016. Whatever you choose you will have a great time. I love the Oasis class.

I believe those are for royal loft suites and above. Here's the info: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass

Thanks for the info!!

. . . if the family budget easily allows and you'd really look forward to it, always/Always/ALWAYS do the suite.

Enjoy! You'll be so glad you did.

John

Thanks for the thoughts. That is where my dh is leaning. Its our 20th wedding anniversary and over valentines. We deserve a little spoiling, right? Right! Now here's hoping we are able to book the boys into their own cabin. We may have to move to a diff family suite with a connecting room.

For embarkation and debarkation, we were told that all members of our party could go together even if they did not have a gold card. You should also be able to make reservation for coastal kitchen for a table of 7 with no problem. Barefoot beach you do have to show your gold card unless you rent a cabana If you opt to put the boys in a non suite they will of course, let them in. the concierge lounge is only for those over 18 after 5PM. If you opt for the non suite for all of you and you have reservations for the shows which you book online ahead of time, then you don't have to wait for long. They scan you card and you go in. As far as not being able to reserve seats in the suite area for shows. that may be the policy but that is not what happens. You would indeed be able to save 2 seats without any problem. they did all around us. there is a thermal suite on the Oasis and you will have access to that for free being in a royal suite with the new suite perks coming after May 2016. Whatever you choose you will have a great time. I love the Oasis class.

Very, very helpful info. Thank you!!