UBP heads-up

drewlin

Just come back from a great cruise on Getaway to Southern Caribbean. We had a wonderful time, marred ever so slightly by a charge for a club soda when we were on the ultimate beverage package. As I am diabetic and my blood sugars had risen alarmingly (my own fault as their cocktails were so good!), I had stopped drinking alcohol and restricted my drinks to iced water or soda water (club soda). You can image my surprise then to find a $2.96 charge on my account. It turned out to be that at one of the bars, when I asked for a club soda that they used a can of club soda and not out of the font as all the other bars had done. I was unaware of this, at the time, as the drink had already been poured and was delivered in a glass. Apparently if you have a soda from a can at a bar (but not beer in a can) it is classed as room service and you are charged accordingly. I complained and had the charge removed but I thought it was worth mentioning this. Strange I could have a long island iced tea with about 5 spirits in it and not get charged but a can of soda????

It sounds to me like you may have been served by new and inexperienced barstaff. I have often been given a can where a bar doesn't have fountain soda and have never been charged.

It's a good warning though. It's always worth keeping an eye on your account in case of things like this.

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago on the Pearl. Apparently there was some change in NCL's accounting system and the bar staff do not have a "button" for club soda from the fountain gun. The cans are not covered under the beverage package, but there is a club soda can button so that is what they use. This happened in the middle of my cruise and I got the charges reversed but it was a hassle. The way to avoid the charge when not getting a can is it has to be rung up as a Sierra Mist or Pepsi fountain drink. Ridiculous.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Are you able to tell that you have been charged prior to getting your final bill?

The reason I ask is that I think I read elsewhere you sign the receipts as if you are paying for the drinks, but at some point you are rebated on your account.

Just wondering how quickly the rebate is applied.

You sign for every drink as if you were paying, but it will never show on your account. If it does show up, there is a problem. Last week on the Jewel I was charged for a soda and noticed while reviewing my account that night using the iconcierge app. A trip to guest services and it was removed (2 days later).

App is great. Charges show up immediately.

Edited by SA71

On the Pearl 2 weeks ago, I had the UBP, and all of my drinks showed up on my account the first day. By the second day, they had all been removed and none showed up the remainder of the 4-day cruise. Not sure why they showed up that first day, unless maybe the system was slow to recognize I had the UBP, but it did end up working correctly. Just wanted to mention it in case it happened to someone else.

Glad those charged for club soda were able to get them reversed. Too bad you had to deal with it at all though!

You sign for every drink as if you were paying, but it will never show on your account. If it does show up, there is a problem.

On the Pearl 2 weeks ago, I had the UBP, and all of my drinks showed up on my account the first day. By the second day, they had all been removed and none showed up the remainder of the 4-day cruise. Not sure why they showed up that first day, unless maybe the system was slow to recognize I had the UBP, but it did end up working correctly. Just wanted to mention it in case it happened to someone else.

We've now done 3 cruises with UBP, and on each of them drink charges always appear on our account before being zeroed out. Sometimes you might glance at your account and happen to see them, sometimes due to pure timing, you never see them there.

I read somewhere else that all of the regular drink charges are on your bill until the last day when they zero them out. is that true or do they come up as zero charge unless you left an additional tip? is it an itemized list of your drinks that you can see when you get the printout?

I was on the Jewel several weeks ago and had the same thing happen - I went to the front desk and had the charge removed. Just watch your daily charges.

I read somewhere else that all of the regular drink charges are on your bill until the last day when they zero them out. is that true or do they come up as zero charge unless you left an additional tip? is it an itemized list of your drinks that you can see when you get the printout?

No, they appear very briefly then are zeroed out. Some people don't even realize that they ever appear there.

My experience was that the first day's drinks appeared as an itemized list that was on my account for about 24 hours or so (not what I personally would consider brief). After that, even though I checked my account from the app frequently (I had a couple of erroneous charges on my first NCL cruise, so I was vigilant), I never saw any other charges. Sounds like everyone's mileages seem to vary.

Same thing happened to us this morning on the Epic, there was a $2.94 charge and it turned out to be from a ginger ale. And I did actually remember it being served from a can, so I was going to accept the charge, but a supervisor happened to be there and she said she would take it off.

I do understand that the UBP and soda package only include fountain drinks, but then they should warn you if you they are about to serve you from a can and charge you. And I think if they are charging you for a can, they should actually give you the can to finish!

My experience was that the first day's drinks appeared as an itemized list that was on my account for about 24 hours or so (not what I personally would consider brief). After that, even though I checked my account from the app frequently (I had a couple of erroneous charges on my first NCL cruise, so I was vigilant), I never saw any other charges. Sounds like everyone's mileages seem to vary.

Ours have always lasted a little longer on the first day, too. Who knows why. All I know is our experience has been exactly the same on all 3 UBP cruises, and we've never had an issue with drinks failing to come off, so I couldn't care less if they sat there until the last minute. (Never had ginger ale though!)

...so I couldn't care less if they sat there until the last minute. (Never had ginger ale though!)

Nope! As long as they come off, I certainly don't care either! I was just trying to describe my personal experience to the poster who had a question about whether there's an itemized list and how long it stays on the account. And now, after talking to herdingdogmom on my last cruise and reading the experiences of those posting here, I know to be careful about ordering a club soda or a ginger ale! [emoji3]

Nope! As long as they come off, I certainly don't care either! I was just trying to describe my personal experience to the poster who had a question about whether there's an itemized list and how long it stays on the account. And now, after talking to herdingdogmom on my last cruise and reading the experiences of those posting here, I know to be careful about ordering a club soda or a ginger ale! [emoji3]

My first cruise with UBP, I never saw any drink charges. On the second, they all showed up the first day like piper45maru. I asked at GS and they said the system wasn't set up yet. By the end of the next day they were all gone until the club soda charges starting appearing. They were removed but it took a trip to guest services each time and I was told it was due to a change in their accounting system and not having a way to "ring up" fountain club soda's. I hope that gets fixed before my cruise in Jan.

Dana, when is your next cruise? We are off to South America and can't wait.

My first cruise with UBP, I never saw any drink charges. On the second, they all showed up the first day like piper45maru. I asked at GS and they said the system wasn't set up yet. By the end of the next day they were all gone until the club soda charges starting appearing. They were removed but it took a trip to guest services each time and I was told it was due to a change in their accounting system and not having a way to "ring up" fountain club soda's. I hope that gets fixed before my cruise in Jan.

Dana, when is your next cruise? We are off to South America and can't wait.

I wonder if our charges stayed for a full day because our cruise was immediately following a charter cruise that didn't have the UBP. Not that it matters, but I am the curious sort and wonder about these things! [emoji56]

I don't have a cruise booked right now, but I promised to take my niece and nephew in the coming year, so I've been eyeing all the F&F sail free promos so that my nephew can sail for just the cost of port fees. Not looking at a specific itinerary so much as the promo and affordability, because the kids want to go to experience the ship more than anything. Although my niece did just announce she wanted me to look at South America cruises because she wants to hit all the continents (except Antarctica) by the time she's 18. At 13, she's already halfway there! I hope you and your mom enjoy your SA cruise! It sounds amazing!

All's good, except that going to Guest Services is never my first choice for spending time on board. Especially on disembarkation morning. :mad:

Exactly! Which was why I worried that all of my drinks staying on my account for so long might mean taking that dreaded stroll to GS the last morning. I was so relieved when they came off! Sorry you had to go through it. [emoji31]