Questions about St. Maarten...

Nflhou02

The last time my wife and I arrived in St. Maarten, we got off the cruise ship, walked a short distance, then caught a small boat over to the beaches and shopping/restaurant areas. Is this the only way to access the shopping/restaurant areas? My mother is traveling with us in February, and she can not get in the smaller boats, due to being in a wheelchair. Can we access the Phillipsburg restaurant and shopping areas by private cab or rental car? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:)

The last time my wife and I arrived in St. Maarten, we got off the cruise ship, walked a short distance, then caught a small boat over to the beaches and shopping/restaurant areas. Is this the only way to access the shopping/restaurant areas? My mother is traveling with us in February, and she can not get in the smaller boats, due to being in a wheelchair. Can we access the Phillipsburg restaurant and shopping areas by private cab or rental car? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:)

Yes, when you get off the ship, you can catch a taxi to the shopping area.

Yes, you can catch a taxi.

We used to walk sometimes and then we'd take the little ferry back but you don't want to be pushing a wheelchair the whole way. There are lots of shops along the way to downtown but there are still plenty of places for lunch and shopping downtown.

Many cabs, you should have no problem. They are not right next to the pier, you'll need to pass through a diamonds-r-us shopping area on the way to the cab station as I recall, but level, decent pavement. It is not a long hard walk into downtown but the sidewalks are narrow, bumpy, etc. A cab is a good idea.

Easy to get a taxi which is right in the parking lots after you pass the shops.

Keith

Would agree but make sure the taxi drops you off where you want to be.

We did it in October and were left quite away from the shopping area/centre of town and got a very poor impression of St Maarten. Immediately got a taxi back and tried the shops near the ships

How long does it take to walk slowly?

To where the shopping begins 15 minutes form where you enter the pier area but if your ship is docked the furthest up you may have walked 5 minutes already.

There is a ports of call section on cc and St. Maarten is under the header of Caribbean in that section. The ports of call area is where information on the ports is to be discussed on cc.

How long does it take to walk slowly?

I am not sure where you mean. How long to walk from where to where?

There is a walk from the ship to the modern shopping mall within the port's barbed wire fenced area. 3-5 minutes. If you want to leave that sterile area and go into Phillipsburg, then from there you can take a water bus, a taxi, or you can walk. 20 minutes walk once you leave the port compound. Then you have the long promenade along the beach, and Front Street which parallels the beach one block inland. [back Street is a few blocks further inland.] Phillipsburg is a long narrow strip between the bay to the front and a salt pond behind.

We had a day on the island last year after a TA from Southampton (and the images below are from that recent trip). But we also spent a week there 10 years ago, during which time we stayed in the time-share visible at the far end of the beach. We loved the place and the hustle-bustle on Front Street when 4-5 cruise ships were in port was quite amazing.

This link takes you to the first of a couple-dozen shots of Phillipsburg:

http://photos.stanhalpin.com/p909010808/e6682b0b1

This image shows a section of the walk into town from the pier:

p1716314534-3.jpg

Some of the walk is next to the road (photo), other parts are separated from the road by shrubbery and the beach promenade is really nice away from traffic and lined with hotels, restaurants, cafes and a catholic church dedicated to St. Martin de Tours.

Front Street is one block back from the beach promenade and has a lot of shops but very narrow sidewalks.

20 minutes seems a good assessment. If returning becomes too much, you could always get hold of a taxi back. Locals are friendly, they will direct you to the right area for catching a taxi.

It's an easy walk for those with no mobility issues. If you get warm along the way, stop into one of the shops and enjoy the a/c for a few minutes. :)

You also can catch the ferry back to the ship if you don't wish to repeat the walk going back.