Anyone ever not have luggage delivered?

Bisous3

Hi All-

My sister, daughter and I leave today on the Regal. My sister's flight in to FLL yesterday was canceled and she was rerouted. Her bags never left her city! Supposedly Southwest, the airline she flew in on sent them on their first flight out this morning and they're allegedly and hopefully arriving on a flight that lands at 1:40PM. They said they'll transport the bags to the ship but we're skeptical. That seems like it's cutting it very close. We have time now to run to Target and buy some things before we leave in case the bags don't get there, but don't want to do that if there's a good chance she'll get the bags. Just wondering what other's experiences were like, and if there was anything that you really couldn't buy on board.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Bisous3

Its a scary proposition, but we have had two occasions when then the bags were delivered to the ship. Once on the day of departure in Alaska and the other to Ft Lauderdale.

Its another good reason to get to the port a day early or try to book the ever elusive non stop flight.

Cheers

Check your policy--I believe that the insurance will only cover if the bag does not arrive before the ship sails.

Yes, I lived without my luggage once for 3 days until it was located and caught up with me. The problem was that it spent 3 days listed as "lost," not "on the way." As others have stated, this is a good reason to fly in a day early and to carry everything you might need for the first 24 hours in your carry on. I realize your sister was booked a day ahead; that's what is saving you now.

My suggestion--go to Target and buy some underwear (never hurts to have extra, right?) and any other absolute necessities. Since Southwest knows where the luggage is, it will most likely arrive at the ship with no issues. I wouldn't buy a bunch of clothing and stuff. You have been told specifically what flight the bag is on--I suspect you'll be fine with it arriving at the ship in plenty of time. The good thing is that it is a short run from the airport to the cruise terminal.

When you board, notify the ship that the luggage is being sent with the flight number and all info you have.

She could also buy some "clothing basics"... white t-shirt, black t-shirt, black sweater, jeans, black pants... (stuff that can be reused and is not too matchy).

What I would find difficult to forgo is make-up and a decent hairbrush.

Yes - and it was the last time I flew into a port the day of departure. In addition to the comments above, I would offer the following:

1. Be sure to go directly to the help desk when you get on board. Even though we did not book flights through Princess, they gave us toiletries, discounts for necessary items in the on-board shops, free laundry service for duration of the cruise, free formal night rental clothing (which we skipped), and they took over communication with the airlines. Our luggage arrived at the next port.

2. Grab a cocktail and relax. This turned out to be the very lesson for me. I had a great time and realized I could be comfortable with far less than I usually packed. Now I travel lots lighter!

While there is a very good chance she will get the suitcase, as others have suggested I would go to target and buy a change of clothes and a few basic toiletries.

My sister had this happen once, she had used EZAir and Princess Transfers... Princess met the bag at the airport and they transported it to the ship for her. It arrived before they sailed, but it was stressful.

I hope the bags show up before you sail. :)

Check Flight Status on Southwest's website, and make sure that 1:40 arrival is projected on time. But even with that, I would go to Target and buy a few essentials, just in case. Shops on the ship are unlikely to have underwear, nightgown, makeup, extras like a curling iron. They will have some toiletries, but probably not your preferred brands and you will pay lots more. Anything your sister picks up in Target will be at a good price, and she will get use out of it even if her bags arrive. The stress of counting on the bags wouldn't be worth it for me, I'd rather spend the money, just in case.

I had the luggage problem in Paris this year (though not on a cruise.) Delta (don't get me started on them) managed to lose my bag for four days. The lessons I learned from that are to pack underwear, pjs, makeup, socks, and at least one change of clothes in my carry on bag. I had to hit Mono Prix (sort of a French Target) every day as I realized I needed something I didn't have. My advice is to hit Target now just in case.

I once spent four days in Europe without my bags traveling with a friend that is 10 inches shorter than I am and quite a bit skinnier!! Since then, always have a change of underwear, socks, and a shirt in my carry on. It was a good lesson.

Edited by denatravels

But what she will need in Target or a another store. Keep the tags on until you know her luggage did not make the ship. If the luggage makes the ship, you can return the items to target, even in your home state. If her luggage does not make the ship, take tags off and wear. If you are going to the islands, the is a lot of island type cruise clothing there a good prices. But under garments are hard to find.

Edited by geocruiser

Berkshire Hathoway has a travel insurance program that I always book in addition to other insurance we carry just for airfare. It pays out cash on things like luggage delay (12+ hours) as well as lost luggage, flight cancelation, flight delay (2+ hours), and Tarmac delay (sitting on Tarmac for 2+ hours). Usually about $25 pp round trip. Never had to submit a claim so I can't comment on that yet. But the enrollment is very easy and the cost is reasonable imo.

Everyone's worst fear right behind missing the ship!

On our Royal TA in September there was a couple from Canada whose luggage never arrived. At each port they hoped to see their luggage, but finally at our last port they realized that they wouldn't see their bags again until they arrived back home. They were amazingly calm about it when we talked to them as we saw them around the ship.

For th record, she DID fly in the day before.... Yesterday. Her bags did not fly though!

Yes, I understood that point. That is what will save her now--the bags will have time to get to the ship.

The biggest thing is to notify the ship as soon as you board. THEY will then do all the interface with the airline for you whether you booked air with them or not. They can also give you a little packet with a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, etc. as well as feminine products.

Go to Target. Buy a good hairbrush, deodorant, underwear, a nightshirt(?) and whatever she considers necessities of life. You might even call the insurance company or look at the policy on line--her luggage has now been delayed 12+ hours. See how long it must be delayed for the insurance to kick in and what the limit on the policy is (typically something like $500). I like the idea of keeping the tags on the items and keeping the receipts. She will know late this afternoon whether the bags made it to the ship or not, and can then decide whether to keep the stuff or return it when she arrives home.

Most likely, it the bag will get there. The cruise line wants her to be happy, and if the bag gets to the airport in time, they will see that it gets to the ship.

For recreational travel, there is always a change of undies in the carry on. For business travel, I take clothes at least for the next day and often for 2 days in my carry on. I DON'T want to be trying to find professional clothing in a strange city!

Want our best story? My daughter spent a summer studying in Japan. She flew home via O'Hare. In Chicago, she claimed her bags, went thru Customs, and re-checked them. Several hours later her flight home was canceled. She spent the night on a cot in the airport and her airline said they couldn't get her home for 3 days. Another airline (thanks, United!) took pity on her and booked her as standby on their next 5 flights...and she got on the first or second one. When she arrived at the home city, United said that her originally booked airline was handling the luggage....and American said that it was United's responsibility. Of course the claim checks she had were from American. We kept calling and were finally told that one bag would arrive on a flight later that evening and the second bag had been sent to Ecuador. REALLY? They sent her bag from Japan to Chicago to South America? Eventually, she got both of them , but it was crazy. At least it was on the way home.

Hi All

A number of years ago while cruising out of Ft L there was a number of Princess ships in port,

I think it was the Star that left a head of us we waved as it passed,

what a few hundred folks did not know was they were saying bye bye to their luggage,

it had been loaded onto the wrong ship,

a few days later we met up in port and luggage was returned

yours Shogun

A couple of years ago we flew in to Vancouver the day before our Alaskan cruise but because of a problem at Heathrow there was no luggage on board for any passenger.

We spent the evening in a drugstore replacing toiletries and basics and the following morning rushed around Bay buying up enough clothing to survive and at least let us attend formal dinner. (This was a trip of a lifetime to celebrate our 40th anniversary).

Our luggage caught up with us in Juneau 4 days later and the airline reimbursed us for everything once we submitted receipts when we got home. Princess were also very helpful. We heard there were about 50 passengers on board in the same situation, and some of them had not received their luggage when they disembarked in Whittier.

Please let us know if the bags make it. Southwest does not track bags like some of the other airlines. They put the tag on when you check in and their baggage handlers look at the tag to see which cart to place your bag on to take to the aircraft. The bag is then place in the front or back bin on the aircraft depending on if the bag will go to baggage claim at the next stop or transferred to another plane or stay on the current plane. Some airlines scan the barcode on the bag so they know where the bag is. The bag can still end up on the wrong plane, but most of the time they will find it.

If this bag does arrive today, Southwest will call a contract delivery company to pick up the bag and deliver it to the pier. This is going to take time and it will be close making the ship.

Hope it works out. Again please let us know.

Update: my sister spoke to someone in baggage services at Southwest FLL who says her bags arrived and they sent them off to the ship. We hope they're telling the truth but who knows?? We are on board and we let them know at Passenger Services and they took all the info as well. We went and bought toiletries, some personal items and luckily she wears the same size as my daughter so she can borrow clothes and shoes if need be... But of course there's nothing like having your own things.

Unfortunately we won't know for a while if the bags were loaded on to the ship because as we all know it can take hours for all the bags to be delivered to the staterooms. They said at P.S. that if we don't see the bags by 8 to let them know.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all of your advice! If the bags are here before we lose cell service I'll post. :-)

I am a plus sized woman and know in certain countries it is almost impossible to find women's clothes to fit me. My family cross packs to try and ensure we all have some clothes in each suitcase. Also, I do I carryon where I place the essentials of a swimsuit, underwear, two tops and two skirts and something to sleep in.

On a HAL trip in Alaska we met a man and his sister who had been on a land tour through HAL before the cruise. They were told to place their luggage outside the door the morning of embarkation and it would be taken to the ship for them. Their luggage never made it. HAL took full responsibility and gave them free clothing from the shops, laundry, formal rental etc.

We stayed at Pan Pacific hotel at Canada Place before our Vancouver Star departure to Hawaii and they offer the same service. I kept asking for reassurance that the luggage would make it.

I hope your sister's luggage is safely and swiftly reunited with her.

As a few posters have suggested: have a few underwear, tees, bathing suit, shorts, pant with nicer top- yes, target or walmart class, leave the tags on-

The ship, can take care of emergency toilet items-- this for "just in case"--

For the future: dh and i make sure we each have our Rick Steves lightweight carryon-- 1 bathing suit, a few pairs of underwear, two tees, shorts and 1 nice sundress/ slacks and nicer top---also, flip flops, and for the ladies- 1 pair nice sandles-- This way we can manage, in the event of not getting our luggage for a few days---

We had one very annoying experience on a celebrity cruise- We had a duffel sent ahead from Luggage Forward- (had formal wear, snorkel stuff and extra stuff, that we would have still survived the cruise- without.) Luggage Forward did send the bag to the ship- BUT, it never arrived to our cabin. We found customer assistance absolutely no help on that ship. That night, as we were retuning to the cabin from dinner, we used the foward elevators ( cabin was aft) As we got off the elevator, we saw our duffel against a wall--

just by itself! Had we not used that elevator, I think it would still be sitting there! We were furious-- apparently a crew member decided to go on a break- left the bag there and forgot about it. Had Celebrity taken the initiative, the could have had one crew member search the decks. We dragged the duffel to our cabin ourselves- at about 9:00 PM- (we were on board at 11:30! We received chocolate covered stravberries from customer service the next day-- I would rather have received my duffel in a timely manner!