Is it too cold to snorkel in January?

DorothyB

I'm debating a cruise in January. I'm a very novice snorkeler and just got back from a cruise where we snorkeled in Grand Cayman

Is it too cold to snorkel in January without a wetsuit?

Do you swim in the Gulf of Mexico near Houston in January ? If so you won't need a wetsuit.

Do you swim in the Gulf of Mexico near Houston in January ? If so you won't need a wetsuit.

Nope I live in Nebraska never been swimming in the ocean and was wondering the same question as my family will be cruising in January also. :)

Water temperature off Cozumel in January has a historical range of about 78-81 F. It is very unlikely to be cooler than 77 F. 77 or 78 F can feel cold to some but generally is no problem to anyone once they "get used to it" and keep moving. All you probably would want if you want to keep warmer than otherwise would be to bring a shorty wetsuit or see about renting one. It really is not an issue for most people.

If it's hot and sunny outside when you go to snorkel, it should be fine! If it's cloudy and cooler out, then it may be a bit chilly.

I've snorkeled in Cozumel most every month from Sept - May and while it's definitely nicer in May than the middle of winter, I've never had to wear a wetsuit.

Have been twice in January, first time was perfect, second time, the air was cool, the water cool, but doable. We just chose a quick dip and the sunshine-heck on this trip when we got back to NOLA, they had had an ice storm. It was not warm anywhere!

We've snorkeled in late December and early January in Cozumel with no issues at all.

If you are going out on a boat, you might want to bring a light coat. That can sometimes get quite chilly, especially if there is rain. But the water will be fine!