Caution for Tampa area taxi users...

Ron_L

We took taxis in Tampa three times last week and had two of the drivers try to charge us more than they should have.

The first time was our ride from the Downtown Embassy Suites to the port. Both spots are within the $3/passenger flat rate zone so the fare should have been $6. When we got to the port the driver told me it was $10! When I questioned it she said it was because we had a lot of luggage. We had three pieces of luggage and the hotel bellman loaded them in the trunk, and the porter at the port unloaded them. She never touched them! If she had charged me the $6 she probably would have gotten $10, but not after that. Even the porter agreed that she wasn't right.

The second time was from the port to our hotel after the cruise. In Tampa there is a flat rate zone for rides from the airport to the downtown area and from the downtown area to the airport area. The rate is supposed to be a flat rate of $25. The driver who picked us up at the port after our cruise to take us to our hotel did not put on the meter. The hotel (Bay Harbor Hotel, Rocky Point area) seemed to be outside of the flat rate zone, but it was close, so I didn't think anything of it. When we arrived at the hotel he told me the charge was $30! I questioned it and he mumbled something I couldn't understand and changed it to $25. If he had said $25 up front he probably would have gotten $30, but after that he got the $25 and that's it.

So, if you are cruising out of Tampa and will be using taxis, make sure that you know how much it should be. the different special rate areas are posted on one of the windows of the taxi or are shown here...

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/7098

This is why I always ask the fare up front, preferably before my bags or fellow passengers are loaded. Actually, this is also why I use Uber and Lyft whenever possible. Est. fares are quoted before pickup and disputes are much more infrequent.

This is why I always ask the fare up front, preferably before my bags or fellow passengers are loaded. Actually, this is also why I use Uber and Lyft whenever possible. Est. fares are quoted before pickup and disputes are much more infrequent.

Yeah, We'll probably use Uber or Lyft next time. I haven't used either yet and wasn't sure so just went with taxis.

I too confirm fares up front.

Also just like any profession there are taxi drivers who play by the rules and some who don't. Unfortunately you had two that didn't.

Keith

Two out of three is pretty bad :-D

We took taxis in Tampa three times last week and had two of the drivers try to charge us more than they should have.

The first time was our ride from the Downtown Embassy Suites to the port. Both spots are within the $3/passenger flat rate zone so the fare should have been $6. When we got to the port the driver told me it was $10! When I questioned it she said it was because we had a lot of luggage. We had three pieces of luggage and the hotel bellman loaded them in the trunk, and the porter at the port unloaded them. She never touched them! If she had charged me the $6 she probably would have gotten $10, but not after that. Even the porter agreed that she wasn't right.

The second time was from the port to our hotel after the cruise. In Tampa there is a flat rate zone for rides from the airport to the downtown area and from the downtown area to the airport area. The rate is supposed to be a flat rate of $25. The driver who picked us up at the port after our cruise to take us to our hotel did not put on the meter. The hotel (Bay Harbor Hotel, Rocky Point area) seemed to be outside of the flat rate zone, but it was close, so I didn't think anything of it. When we arrived at the hotel he told me the charge was $30! I questioned it and he mumbled something I couldn't understand and changed it to $25. If he had said $25 up front he probably would have gotten $30, but after that he got the $25 and that's it.

So, if you are cruising out of Tampa and will be using taxis, make sure that you know how much it should be. the different special rate areas are posted on one of the windows of the taxi or are shown here...

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/7098

Thanks for the info. We'll be there in less than 2 weeks :)

So, from the port to the airport is $25.00?

Unless they have had a recent fare bump that has not been mentioned on this board, yes. :) Flat rate, ignore the meter; the rate should be posted inside the cab but it never hurts to check with the port dispatcher and driver BEFORE you get into the taxi.

I always use my phone to take a picture of the cab # and driver info; if queried I mention it is just in case I lose something. ;) Knowing that you have a record of the cab/driver should deter most of the crooked drivers.